• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

St. Barts, Anguilla, St. Martin Trip

Joe -- when was the last time you visited Anguilla? We were there a couple of years ago and really loved Tasty's and Oliver's. Also, we've heard that Koal Keel has since reopened, and I would recommend going there for dinner. The atmosphere is wonderful, and we have fond memories of our meal there ages ago. We'll be leaving for St. Barts in ten days, and will report back on our eating experiences when we return.

Please do let me know how you think St Barts compares to Anguilla dining wise. This is actually my first trip to Anguilla. Thinking of Blanchard's, Malli, Altamer, Koal Keel and Tasty's. Cuisinart has a new chef who has an interesting background. Some places in St Barts will be closed when I visit, like Francois Plantation, so I was thinking of dropping a visit there altogether. I will be curious to hear your recs.

Thanks.

Edited by Joe Gerard (log)

• 2 weeks later...

Anguilla has fantastic restaurants but you will pay for it. The island is very expensive. But worth it in my opinion, for the sheer exclusivity and privacy. Do NOT miss (in order of preference):

Michel Rostang at Mallihouhana

Straw Hat

Hibernia

Blanchard's

Kemia at Cap Juluca

George's at Cap Juluca (order a Junior Special at the bar and hit the beach)

Pimm's at Cap Juluca

Tasty's

In St. Martin, do NOT miss Hilda's roadside soul food near-ish the airport (coldest beers on the island), Lal's Indian food (right next to the airport), Spiga in Grand Case, bbq ribs, lobster and coconut ice cream at the open air soul food joint (the name escapes me now) in Grand Case, right on the beach practically (just look for the crowd).

In general, all the best places to eat are in Grand Case and definitely on the French side.

• 3 weeks later...
I will be hitting all three towards the end of March, and will be eating bread and water for months afterwards to pay for it. Anyone have favorites to share or know of noteworthy chef changes, new places? Tony B., anything new on SXM?

the burrito place on the west end of anguilla makes remarkably good sf mission style burritos. weird, but true and delicious

• 3 weeks later...

It's been a few years since I've had the pleasure of being in Anguilla, but our favorites have all been mentioned, by and large. Koal Keel was one of the best on our initial visit. However, on a few subsequent visits it was closed. If it is up to it's former standards, it will be a great addition to an already star studded dining field.

Michel Rostang is also a favorite. I'm a wine nut and their cellar is very good for any where and, at least in my experience, unrivaled in the Carribiean. Foor is also very good, although it could be more consistent. Unfortunately, not as much in the way of local ingredients as I would prefer. As the old saying goes, no where are the French more French than when they are away from home. But a very nice meal none the less.

Blanchard's seems to be a bit schizophrenic. Kind of like the girl with the one red curl from the nursery rhyme -- when she's good, she's very good, but when she's bad, she's very, very bad. We had one stellar meal there, one moderately good meal there, and one that was forgetable, and I think that's being charitable. Some claim that the quality dropped while Melinda was out flacking her book. I don't know, but when they are one, it is quite good.

Straw Hat has no right to be as good as it is, at least the three times I've eaten there. Kitchy name, kitchy location, etc., but make no mistake, it is a serious restaurant with literally a million dollar view. Had dinner there New Year's Eve/New Years 1999/2000. Wonderful night. Wonderful meal. What a nice place to pass the mellinium. Hope it's still up to snuff.

Those are the one's that leap first to mind. Decent burgers on a world class beach at Uncle Ernie's on Shoal Bay beach. Also there is a good local place just to the West of the airport on the main road -- Mala's Roti Hut. Had a great goat curry roti there once. Only hiccup was when I say tomorrows goat tied up out back. Kind of took a bit of the pleasure out of it, but c'est la vie (at least if you're a goat). Big Jim's BBQ at Blowing Point is also good if you're not averse to local color and no tourists hanging around. Finally, an almost unknown and desolate corner of Anguilla is Junks Hole Beach, on the winward eastern end of the island. Very different. There is a restaurant there called Palm Grove that is kind of interesting. You'll think that you're lost for about a mile or two before you get there and when you get there you'll think you're at the end of the earth. But the guy that runs it is real friendly and the food is actually quite good. Only deal is that you can't be in a hurry (good advice anywhere on Anguilla, but especially here). Go early and plan to lay around and explore the beach, etc. Neat place. Remote and usually very sparsely occupied.

Edited by Mike C. Miller (log)

• 1 month later...
  • 10 months later...

We spent Memorial Day 2007 in St Bart's. Here are some updates.

--Hotel Christopher & St Barth's Beach Hotel [home of Le Rivage] have both closed as have their restaurants.

--The olde La Marine shuttered about 2 yrs ago although a new edition with different owners has re-opened. We did not visit there. It appears to be a bit more of a club w. a set menu and entertainment on Sat night.

--Hotel Carl Gustaf has music w. singer in their Sunset Bar Wed-Sat. Very nice.

They serve nuts, olives & canapes w. the drinks. Dinner is from a short and typically expensive menu but tasty and service was very nice.

--Guanahani's pool & beachside ' Indigo' is a lovely venue for lunch. Sadly,

they have replaced the very pretty lavender and aqua tablecloths w. metal gray placemats---The menu is very interesting w. many selections that differ from the routine found elsewhere [e.g. the Asiatique platter w. tempura, sashimi, maki,etc].

The cuisine itself is quite tasty. The service was delivered by a young staff & was adequate but not smooth.

In the evenings, the new Bartolemeo was a disappointment. Its remodeling seems to have led to even less of a breeze. The wood slat floor vibrates when servers walk around. The hostess was in jeans. The menu is short & has lost its interest and caribbean accent although the actual quality & preparation is excellent.

This used to be my most favorite restaurant and many a wekk I dined there 3x, but no more.

--We had just an ok meal at Wall House and it was hotter than Hades.

--Le Sapotillier has a gracious hostess & talented chef. I had pigeon which was delicious...as was the chilled cauliflower soup...but the prices, particularly of the red wines...are breath taking.

--For lunch on the beach, the rear of the Hotel Le Tom...name excapes me....casual...tables not in the best condition...but excellent grilled red snapper.

--In town, breakfast at La Creperie

--pizza at La Saladiere, on the edge of the marina, was very good.....also many other casual style offerings. Owner offered his own hibiscus & papaya [instead of vanilla] rum post meal. Very interesting stuff. I suggested he offer a vanilla panna cotta using it as a topping.

Edited by PaulaJK (log)