• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Mint chocolates

Desiderio

Ummm I have done some mint chocolates in the past and I have used the peppermint extract, but I feel that the taste isnt that soddisfacent,so I did another batch with fresh mint instead ( I saw many chocolatiers make it with fresh mint ),so i did it , and finish up the chocolates.

Unfortunally I tryed one yesterday and the taste its very very weird , too weird to be selled , the only positive thing is that it leaves a great fresh back taste in your mouth , but the firts taste I dont know how to explained but it is weird like you can actually taste the plante inside , I would say not too appealing.

Now I am going to try a different appoach just to experiment something, I made some fondant and Im going to mix it with som epeppermint extract ( I need to find some mint syrup ) and the fill the chocolates with that.

What are your experience with mint? And did this weird taste ever accour to any of you guys?

Thank you

Vanessa

Ummm I have done some mint chocolates in the past and I have used the peppermint extract, but I feel that the taste isnt that soddisfacent,so I did another batch with fresh mint instead ( I saw many chocolatiers make it with fresh mint ),so i did it , and finish up the chocolates.

Unfortunally I tryed one yesterday and the taste its very very weird , too weird to be selled , the only positive thing is that it leaves a great fresh back taste in your mouth , but the firts taste I dont know how to explained but it is weird like you can actually taste the plante inside , I would say not too appealing.

Now I am going to try a different appoach just to experiment something, I made some fondant and Im going to mix it with som epeppermint extract ( I need to find some mint syrup ) and the fill the chocolates with that.

What are your experience with mint? And did this weird taste ever accour to any of you guys?

Thank you

I use peppermint oil purchased from a pharmacy to flavour mint meltaway centres as well as fondant for a peppermint cream centre. Use very sparingly. I like the flavour better than peppermint extract. If I was going to use fresh mint I would dry it first then steep it in the cream.

I am always careful to keep any mint containing chocolates in an airtight container away from other chocolates. Other chocolates take up the mint and it ruins them.

I am always careful to keep any mint containing chocolates in an airtight container away from other chocolates.  Other chocolates take up the mint and it ruins them.

Ditto for Lavender...

John DePaula
formerly of DePaula Confections
Hand-crafted artisanal chocolates & gourmet confections - …Because Pleasure Matters…
--------------------
When asked “What are the secrets of good cooking? Escoffier replied, “There are three: butter, butter and butter.”

Thank you

Did you press on the mint leaves when you were straining? According to some, this is where the slightly bitter, vegetal taste comes from.

PS: I am a guy.

Thank you

Did you press on the mint leaves when you were straining? According to some, this is where the slightly bitter, vegetal taste comes from.

No no pressing I read is bad and get the bitter flavor into it.

, I had the idea to use the dry mint and someone told me thet wasnt a good idea , I might go ahead and try that way then :wink: .

I will try to purchase the peppermint oil then oinstead of the extract .

Thank you guys for your always precius suggestions and help :smile:

Vanessa

Fresh mint will give you a more grassy flavor. Some will love it, others will expect a cool peppermint flavor. I use both. I use a peppermint oil for a tiny dark chocolate truffle in white chocolate. And I use fresh mint or fresh mint with green tea in dark chocolate palets.

One must be careful not to overheat the herbs and not to press on them. I know it's tempting because they've soaked up so much precious cream but don't push them through a sieve. Let them drain slowly and add more cream if you need it.

I sat down with my tea lady one day and she was very specific about what temperature each tea should be steeped at and for how long. Herbs are not all the same and must be treated with care to optimize flavor. If you seek a subtle green mint flavor keep trying, otherwise switch to peppermint oil.