• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Too much pineapple.

johnder

I have come into posession of an obscene amount of pineapple. (long story) I am trying to quickly use up as much as possible before it starts going bad and aside from using it in tarts and such -- I figure using it in cocktails would be a good way to plow through a few of them as well.

I was thinking about using one to insfuse some neutral base, but I am also looking for some ideas for using it either muddled or passed through a juicer.

I found a few recipes on the net that I may try including this one:

fresh pineapple & orange chunks muddled with bitters, vanilla sugar, cognac, vanilla liqueur & fresh lemon juice, capped with crushed ice

which looks interesting, but am open to other ideas.

John

John Deragon

foodblog 1 / 2

--

I feel sorry for people that don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day -- Dean Martin

I would dehydrate some, and then add it to simple syrup, to use in cocktails. If you want to get exotic maybe a bit of cardomom, in the simple. Then make Daquiris, or gimlets.

Or add some (Be careful) chipotile as well as the pinapple to some tequila and make margaritas.

Or Dried Mint and dried pinapple simple syrup for mojitos.

A DUSTY SHAKER LEADS TO A THIRSTY LIFE

Woo! Thanks for the tips. I am going to get cracking. Now where did I put my food dehydrator? :huh:

John Deragon

foodblog 1 / 2

--

I feel sorry for people that don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day -- Dean Martin

How about making Mexican pineapple vinegar? Pretty tasty--

1 c. pineapple puree

pinch of allspice

1 Tbs. brown sugar or Mexican piloncillo

6 c. white vinegar (ideally 6% but 5% will work)

Combine in a large "non reactive" saucepan, bring to a simmer, remove from heat and let steep overnight. Strain into clean glass jar with non-metallic lid and store at room temp.

Then there's pineapple jam--grind or coarsely chop pineapple, mix with sugar to your taste and let stand in the refrigerator overnight. Add some grated lime rind and cook until thick, pour into jars, etc.

Pineapple chutney?

N.

Formerly "Nancy in CO"

They had a very nice Pineapple Pisco Sour at Pegu when it opened.  Just pineapple-infused pisco in the regular formula.

I finally got to go there last week and it looked like it was still on the menu.

Chop up one whole pineapple and soak it in a bottle of cachaca for 3 or four days. Whirl it all through the blender and then strain through cheesecloth.

Use this to make make Caipiriñas - or Caipi-Piñas as I prefer to call them.

Me likey. These are quite refreshing...

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

I may be wrong, but I think they've been doing Pisco Punch recently.

Ah right, that's what it was, but I think it was also with a pineapple-infused pisco.

I may be completely misremembering, of course.

I don't have a recipe, but I've seen interesting allusions in some different places to a Mark Miller (Coyote Cafe) recipe. He puts cut up fresh pineapple in a big jar with rum(s) and vanilla bean. Let that steep for awhile and then use for either sipping or for making pineapple daquiris. Sounds good to me... :smile:

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"