• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Infusing cream with basil.

Stephanie Wallace

How about the same way you make infused oils? Blanch basil in boiling water for 5 seconds, shock, squeeze dry, whiz in a blender with cream, bring to a bare simmer for 5 minutes, let cool, strain.

He who distinguishes the true savor of his food can never be a glutton; he who does not cannot be otherwise. --- Henry David Thoreau

For a ganache I would boil the cream, remove it from the heat and then add chopped basil.  Experiment with a mix of dried and fresh.  Steep for 5 minutes and strain over chocolate.

Shane

When you strain, don't press down on the leaves.......that might bring out the bitterness.

For a ganache I would boil the cream, remove it from the heat and then add chopped basil.  Experiment with a mix of dried and fresh.  Steep for 5 minutes and strain over chocolate.

Shane

This is the method I use, although I always use fresh herbs and don't chop them first. I think that bitterness can come from allowing it to steep too long (like tea).

• 4 weeks later...

glad to hear it worked out. i've been thinking about basil myself, ever since i tried a joel durand chocolate with basil in it. is the basil subtle? what is the flavor like?

Thank you everybody. I steeped fresh basil in cream for about ten minutes and it infused perfectly. I used 10 grams of basil for 650 grams of ganache. I will probably increase the amount slightly next time.

I make a basil ganache often. If making 650g of ganache, I would infuse 15g of basil in the boiled cream for 5 minutes. This produces a subtle infusion (European style). Try 18g for a stronger infusion (US style).

Don't squeeze. As for chopping the basil I cut mine with scissors, but to be honest have never compared chopped to unchopped - must do so.

At 10 min/12 g/650 g the infusion was subtle-certainly not undetectable. I used thai-basil, so it was pretty anisey.

this is purely subjective...so take with a grain of salt :smile: ...

i recently ate a dessert which i described here it is the last post on the thread. please don't make the infusion too strong. it could be my personal taste, but just about any "savory" herb used to make a sweet dessert tastes grassy when overused. there is certainly a place for it. i find that the bitterness of chocolate can take more of the flavor than in the dessert that i described where the flavor was very aggressive. obviously this person felt he was being avant garde...the dessert was disgusting.

At 10 min/12 g/650 g the infusion was subtle-certainly not undetectable. I used thai-basil, so it was pretty anisey.

this is purely subjective...so take with a grain of salt :smile: ...

i recently ate a dessert which i described here it is the last post on the thread. please don't make the infusion too strong. it could be my personal taste, but just about any "savory" herb used to make a sweet dessert tastes grassy when overused. there is certainly a place for it. i find that the bitterness of chocolate can take more of the flavor than in the dessert that i described where the flavor was very aggressive. obviously this person felt he was being avant garde...the dessert was disgusting.

I agree with alanamoana on the infusion. I think a savory flavor can really surprise and be wonderful....but it can also be confusing and ill-placed. I absolutely lover Rosemary/Lavender/Basil/Lemongrass etc. caramels but if the infusion is too strong it spoils the effect. In my opinion...(and its just that) the flavor of the savory herb should come at the finish and be subtle. Enough to taste but as a compliment to the sweetness...not in competition.

• 1 month later...

I did some caramels with one of the Wybauw butter caramles recipes, and instead of using vanilla I used dryed lavander , infused in the cream then strained and proceded with recipe.Very nice , even though the caramel itself didnt impress me too much, meaning that I loved the lavender flavor ( I love lavender truffles )but the caramel could have been better.

Vanessa

I mentioned in my earlier post that I chopped my basil, but would experiment.

Well, ... the flavour is vastly improved by NOT cutting but using whole leaves, no bitterness.

• Like 1

I mentioned in my earlier post that I chopped my basil, but would experiment.

Well, ... the flavour is vastly improved by NOT cutting but using whole leaves, no bitterness.

Thank you for posting the result , because I want to make some basil ones next week and I was wondering about the bittrness of some herbs infused etc.Thank you.

Vanessa

David,

I make a basil ganache with Common/Sweet Basil and Valrhona's Caraibe (a blend of Trinitario cocoas from the Caribbean Isles). Caraibe is 66% cocoa, but is quite sweet/approachable for a bittersweet chocolate.

The sweetness of Caraibe complements the taste of Sweet/Common Basil.