• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

"Machine Chicken"

elfin

On our travels we are amazed at chicken cooked on rotisseries. Whether it be in the mideast, latin america or europe, these chicken places produce evenly cooked and fantastic chicken. A google search for home ovens seems to focus on George Foreman or Ronco table top machines and bbq grills. Do these countertop machines really work? Is it better to do the roasting in the oven with the rotisserie attachment? (I remember my Mom doing this years ago and the grease splatter clean up and oven fires were horrendous). If I go the built in oven route, then do I go gas or electric? I saw in one kitchen design magazine a really cool built in rotisserie oven. It did not give a name. We would use the oven for meat roasting as well. Any input is appreciated.

What disease did cured ham actually have?

Megan sandwich: White bread, Miracle Whip and Italian submarine dressing. {Megan is 4 y.o.}

my counter top toaster oven by delongi has a built in rotisserie that does a beautiful job.

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!

Do these  countertop machines really work? Is it better to do the roasting in the oven with the rotisserie attachment? 

They work incredibly well - and are far easier to clean.

I have one of the vertical broilers that is terrific for chicken, small turkeys and has a carrier for 8 skewers for kebabs plus a basket for fish, steaks, etc. I use it a lot in the summer when we do more cooking outdoors. It does chickens, both broilers and the large "roasting hens" as well as small turkeys (under 10 pounds) and roasts to perfection - also a guinea hen on one occasion. We have used it for gyros, cutting thin slices of outer surfaces of the roast off as it cooks. It wasn't bad.

Mine is several years old, made by Regal, I don't think is is still available, however they do come up on ebay from time to time Regal Royal Rotisseire and I have seen two on Craig's list in the past couple of months.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

....however they do come up on ebay from time to time Regal Royal Rotisseire and I have seen two on Craig's list in the past couple of months.

From that eBay auction:

I do NOT ship to Nigeria, so don’t even inquire!!

:shock::laugh::laugh:

My mom used to have an "open" indoor grill. It had a heating element and grill and had a rotisserie attachment. Kind of like this one but deeper (so the fat that dripped down wouldn't smoke).

I'd think an enclosed rotisserie would be more efficient.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

I have the Franklin which my daughter discarded. For chicken it can't be beat - for anything else - there are better ways.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Aonther riff would be to get the rotissary insert for the Weber 22 1/2" kettle, assuming you have that kettle.

Jim

I'm thinking about this. Though it would mean we have to get a new Weber, and I'm liking the wheezy, rusty, old one we got a few years ago.

"Oh, tuna. Tuna, tuna, tuna." -Andy Bernard, The Office

I can't speak to the built in rotisserie ovens, but I have one of the larger DeLonghi counter top convection ovens with rotisserie and it works very well. I have only done chicken on it, but I think it will handle up to a 10 lb turkey.