• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chocolatier Help Required for Broken Bunnies

Kerry Beal

gallery_34671_2649_85704.jpg

I worked out the details to colour the coat on these bunnies and showed one of my students how to make them. She is trying to make 30 of the middle sized rabbits for someone in time for easter, and is molding them solid rather than hollow. She has found they are frequently breaking at the neck or feet.

I have had similar problems with some of my figural molds in the past. I have a lovely Antoine Reiche mold of 3 rabbits and a basket and when molded solid it often breaks across the neck of one of the rabbits. I also have a fabulous chef mold that breaks at the feet almost every time.

The chocolate appears to be well tempered, it unmolds cleanly.

Any thoughts?

Ooops. Double Post.

My pouring and molding experience has to do with concrete curb and gutter on state and municipal projects where everything has to be filled out in duplicate...at least!

SB :blink:

Edited by srhcb (log)

I know next to nothing about chocolate molding, but I suspect solid chocolate cools unevenly, and takes a lot longer to cool completely, which results in fissures and other structural defects at the more narrow spots where weight is concentrated?

Perhaps there are special formulas for solid chocolate figures?

The Laws of Physics and Chemistry apply whether we're talking about chocolate or concrete.

SB (has an engineering background)

Edited by srhcb (log)

As has been suggested, the narrow areas of the mold cool faster than the thicker parts, so they get over-chilled and crack. Try releasing the clips on the mold in the areas that are likely to crack after about 10 minutes. Once the filled mold is at least partially set, you can release all of the clips. Do not attempt to demold the chocolate, however, until it is completely set.

If the mold has an especially thick area, I sometimes add plugs of solid chocolate to the fluid chocolate in the mold to speed up the set.

I think I asked about this same problem last year. My bunnies often break at the ears. I found that a warmer room and a slower cooling process helped. I love Elaine's chocolate plug idea.

Thanks so much for the suggestions, I'll pass them along and try them myself.

The slower cooling rings some bells. I have a couple of huge bunny molds that are too big to put in the fridge to cool, so earlier in the year, when I was molding them up hollow, I put them out on the porch to cool. On a fairly 'warm' cool day I had no problem with cracking, but on a cold day they would get spiral fractures.

I'll try the clip releasing ideas too, and the plugs of solid chocolate, excellent idea, and very handy for those days when you find yourself just a bit short to fill that last mold.

Hmmm, no advice from Steve there but Lemon Curd reminded that it is best to let the chocolate set a bit before cooling. Funny, last year I was working in my home kitchen and finally got the variables right, this year it's a different kitchen, the next few days may be rocky.....darn easter bunnies!

Another suggestion is to remove some of the mold clips. At work we tend to remove the mold clips on the product in the fridge after around five minutes (or a few minutes longer depending on the size of the product). We release all the the clips except for one. It's hard to say for sure what is specifically causing the problem because as Trishiad says the 'micro climate' of your working area can really vary, but we haven't had any problems with 'bunny decapitation' :smile: for quite some time and perhaps removing almost all of the clips may also help.

Support your local farmer

Currently reading:

The Art of Simple Food by Alice Waters

Just finished reading:

The 100-Mile Diet by Alisa Smith & J. B. MacKinnon

Yes, we definately talked about this issue previously. If I recall correctly Steve Klc had some good advice on the issue..........can you find your old post Trishiad?

I found the old thread but I'm not sure how to create a link to it. It is 'peter freakin' cottontail, cursing at the easter bunny' started march 20 2005.