• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

impression mat and IMBC

freddurf

I recenly made a cake where I used an impression mat to make a pattern on the frosting. I had to use a crusting buttercream to get this effect. The only problem is I can't stand the this type of frosting. I'm spoiled after discovering IMBC and really don't want to use anything else. Is it possible to use an impression mat with IMBC?

Thanks,

Susie

freddurf is a Susie? I thought you were Fred! :biggrin:

I don't use impression mats so this is a guess.... but I think it would work if the buttercream was chilled firm when you did it, although expect that would be rather tricky to imprint in hard butter.

You could also try adding meringue powder to your IMBC (as part of your whipped whites) to make it crust.

:laugh: yes, I'm a Susie! Fred Durf is my dog! :laugh: I noticed someone called me Fred in the other buttercream thread so I figured I better "come out of the closet"!

I never thought about using M. powder. Does anyone have any experience with this? Do you have any idea how much I should add? Will it change the flavor or texture? I hope this works. I made a cake this weekend and I was embarrassed to serve it with the crusting buttercream! I've become a IMBC snob!

:laugh: yes, I'm a Susie!  Fred Durf is my dog! :laugh:  I noticed someone called me Fred in the other buttercream thread so I figured I better "come out of the closet"!

I never thought about using M. powder.  Does anyone have any experience with this?  Do you have any idea how much I should add?  Will it change the flavor or texture?  I hope this works.  I made a cake this weekend and I was embarrassed to serve it with the crusting buttercream!  I've become a IMBC snob!

LOL! I thought you were a Fred, too, and I'm sure I called you Fred in earlier posts! To address your question, I'm guessing that "semi-firm" IMBC will take an impression mat fairly well. I wouldn't chill the cake down too hard, though, or it will be a bear. I'm curious to hear how you make out. With re: the meringue powder, my guess (and it's only a guess) is that if you use enough to get the buttercream to crust, it's going to make an unpleasant textural (gritty) change to the buttercream as well. My preference would be to try to make a go of it with semi-chilled IMBC. Let us know how it goes!

This will not really work. Maybe use a dowel to mark your marks that you can keep wiped off or something. Or you could mark it then scrape it with a pointy somthing like the tip of a potato peeler, or an ice pick or something. I would use a bench scraper to mark it myself. It has a handier handle than a dowel. Y'know keep it wiped off, maybe heat it. Experiment with it but I doubt it will work--it's too messy. And the icing is too impressionable and you have to kind of roll the mat across the sides--it will pick up to much icing, I'm afraid.

Edited by K8memphis (log)

AHHH! I had a feeling this was the answer I was going to get! I think for small areas I can score it as suggested, but for larger cakes, I'm afraid it will make a huge mess. Thank you all for your help :biggrin: