• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Real Rum bars

Ed Hamilton

We've all looked around for rum bars and more often than not have been disappointed in either the selection, staff knowledge or the cocktails.

Last night I was fortunate enough to find Rhumba in Boulder, Colorado. There wasn't a bottle of Bacardi in sight, not that that's a bad thing, they had a bottle of Bacardi 8 under the counter. Their mojitos caught my eye when the bartender used Cruzan white rum, but their Passport to their Rum selection wasn't just another cute marketing piece, it presented several flights of rum which were selected by a knowlegable spirits manager.

There were several bottles including a 30 year old Cadenhead cask-strength that I haven't seen for many years.

I'm sure there are other bars that take this much pride in their rum presentation, is there one in your city?

Edward Hamilton

Ministry of Rum.com

The Complete Guide to Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'll take it.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I found a great bar ("Roosevelt") in Munich/Germany a few weeks ago. They have over 200 (two-hundred) different rums! Everything I ever hearde of. The variety is amazing on the regular menu...but then, when you get to the end, it says: "Please ask our servixe for the special rum menu!"

I will definitly stay there from time to time...;-)

We've all looked around for rum bars and more often than not have been disappointed in either the selection, staff knowledge or the cocktails.

Last night I was fortunate enough to find Rhumba in Boulder, Colorado. There wasn't a bottle of Bacardi in sight, not that that's a bad thing, they had a bottle of Bacardi 8 under the counter. Their mojitos caught my eye when the bartender used Cruzan white rum, but their Passport to their Rum selection wasn't just another cute marketing piece, it presented several flights of rum which were selected by a knowlegable spirits manager.

There were several bottles including a 30 year old Cadenhead cask-strength that I haven't seen for many years.

I'm sure there are other bars that take this much pride in their rum presentation, is there one in your city?

Pat Croce's Rum Barrel in Key West, Florida. He claims to have the most complete rum collection available on earth.

A link: http://www.piratesoul.com/press_detail.aspx?id=30

ScoopKW

Key West, Florida

PS -- First post.

Who cares how time advances? I am drinking ale today. -- Edgar Allan Poe

I thoroughly scoured Atlantic City last November and didn't find a single place that I would call a rum bar in that town. But things are changing.

In Alameda, not far from another city where I can always get a good rum drink, a new bar has recently opened called the Forbidden Island Tiki Lounge I look forward to going there in a few weeks. In the meantime, if anyone has any experience there please let us know about it. Scroll down for some pics. Looks like this may be much more than another bar.

Edward Hamilton

Ministry of Rum.com

The Complete Guide to Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'll take it.