• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Drinks Bartenders Hate to Make

eje

the occasional negroni gets ordered in my area.  From someone who knows more what they should be is a 2:1:1 gin-campari-vermouth the right mix?  I'd love to know, but not many people know how to make them, and I sadly have to one to ask locally.  Cheers

Sean

I'm also not sure if a lemon twist is right or if I should use an orange

Most recipes call for equal parts of gin, campari and sweet vermouth. Since campari works well with citrus, either an orange or lemon garnish is good.

There is a thread called no more phonie baloney negroni for me, that has in depth discission on negronies.

A DUSTY SHAKER LEADS TO A THIRSTY LIFE

Not being a fan of mixed drinks as a rule I am of the Grey Goose or Effen if they carry it, stright up crowd.

When the mood strikes that I want to try something different I like to ask the bartender (assuming they are not in the weeds of course) what their personal signature or favorite drink is and have them make me one of those. for the most part it has worked out pretty well for me- that is how I discovered Effen and had my first Mojito (years before they got popular again).

It did admitedly bite me once when a young bartender (whom had served me several times before made great drinks as a rule) made me something called an "Adios Motherfucker" the sole purpose of that drink it seems is to get you incredibly drunk before you realize the damage you have done to yourself (his version at least tasted so sweet and smooth I went through two of them before they hit me)

Not being a fan of mixed drinks as a rule I am of the Grey Goose or Effen if they carry it, stright up crowd.

When the mood strikes that I want to try something different I like to ask the bartender (assuming they are not in the weeds of course) what their personal signature or favorite drink is and have them make me one of those. for the most part it has worked out pretty well for me- that is how I discovered Effen and had my first Mojito (years before they got popular again).

It did admitedly bite me once when a young bartender (whom had served me several times before made great drinks as a rule) made me something called an "Adios Motherfucker" the sole purpose of that drink it seems is to get you incredibly drunk before you realize the damage you have done to yourself (his version at least tasted so sweet and smooth I went through two of them before they hit me)

:laugh:

I've seen that recipe before. It's frightening.

Adios Motherfucker

1 oz vodka

1 oz rum

1 oz tequila

1/2 oz gin

1 oz Blue Curacao liqueur

2 oz sweet and sour mix

2 oz 7-Up® soda

Served stirred or shaken in a pounder glass(16 oz)

Basically a Long Island Iced Tea using Lemon soda instead of Coke and turned blue with the Blue Curacao instead of regular triple sec. And equally as deadly.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

:laugh:

I've seen that recipe before. It's frightening.

Adios Motherfucker

1 oz vodka

1 oz rum

1 oz tequila

1/2 oz gin

1 oz Blue Curacao liqueur

2 oz sweet and sour mix

2 oz 7-Up® soda

Served stirred or shaken in a pounder glass(16 oz)

Basically a Long Island Iced Tea using Lemon soda instead of Coke and turned blue with the Blue Curacao instead of regular triple sec. And equally as deadly.

I know this will just sound snobbish, but I try to stay away from places where they even make stuff like that.

Just to dig myself in deeper, why wouldn't you be as discerning, in terms of seriousness of purpose, with respect to the cocktail places you go to as you are with respect to restaurants?

A fair enough question.

In my case I can tell you that it was because at the time it was the only thing open in my area late at night-(at the time I was working from 9:00 am to 11:00 pm without enough of a break between jobs to get any sort of decent food) besides Denny's- and as bad as Chili's (I know, I know...) can be in the very least it is not Denny's and they have alcohol- after that many hours on my feet dealing with people damned if I didn't need a drink!.

Under normal circumstance, no that would not be the choice I would make for dinner or drinks but sometimes you make due with what you've got.

Now that's my excuse for drinking bad college kid drinks and I am sticking to it!

Edited by Gigi4808 (log)

And very persuasive, too!

Thank you, thank you!.

All I can say is that after a day of explaining to presbyopic 45 year old women that the colored vanity lens would only fix a friction of their vision issues and being bitched out about it and then going to my other job and selling gadgets such as a cheap forks that tell you when your meat is done (don't get me started on those things I hated them!) to people who considered "Sizzler" to be the home of the BEST steak ever, well by the end of that day I was ready to stab said blind women with those forks.

Bad fajitas and cheap liquar won't solve your problems but they will lull you into a slightly drunken slug-like nitrite lull- and somedays that is as close to relaxing as you can get.

And very persuasive, too!

Thank you, thank you!.

All I can say is that after a day of explaining to presbyopic 45 year old women that the colored vanity lens would only fix a friction of their vision issues and being bitched out about it and then going to my other job and selling gadgets such as a cheap forks that tell you when your meat is done (don't get me started on those things I hated them!) to people who considered "Sizzler" to be the home of the BEST steak ever, well by the end of that day I was ready to stab said blind women with those forks.

Bad fajitas and cheap liquar won't solve your problems but they will lull you into a slightly drunken slug-like nitrite lull- and somedays that is as close to relaxing as you can get.

Wow, that's even more persuasive!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I cant see why I should be mad if a customer have a special request, thats what I love to do. Maybe I can learn something new and thats what's matter. And why should we care about tips, if i give the customer the best cocktail he ever tasted thats enough for me.

If you can't do that, maybe you should think about another job?

It stuns me when people walk into a bar with an interesting cocktail program and refuse to look at the menu placed in front of them and order the same old boring, indistinct drink that you can get at any bar in the world. Adventure and imagination do truly seem to be lacking at times.

The only cocktail I ever drink is Kir--not because I don't like other cocktails, but because it's simple, clean, and isn't very strong (alcohol is a strong trigger for my IBS). Would you look down on me for ordering one? You can be honest, I really don't mind, since I know I'm not a sophisticated drinker. But I'm just wondering what bartenders think of the lowly Kir.

As an aside, I've met plenty of bartenders and waitstaff who have no clue what Kir is (though sometimes they might know Kir Royale...), and it's one of the easiest in the book!

It stuns me when people walk into a bar with an interesting cocktail program and refuse to look at the menu placed in front of them and order the same old boring, indistinct drink that you can get at any bar in the world. Adventure and imagination do truly seem to be lacking at times.

The only cocktail I ever drink is Kir--not because I don't like other cocktails, but because it's simple, clean, and isn't very strong (alcohol is a strong trigger for my IBS). Would you look down on me for ordering one? You can be honest, I really don't mind, since I know I'm not a sophisticated drinker. But I'm just wondering what bartenders think of the lowly Kir.

As an aside, I've met plenty of bartenders and waitstaff who have no clue what Kir is (though sometimes they might know Kir Royale...), and it's one of the easiest in the book!

I'd be happy to make you a kir (or Royale). In fact, we have real Bordelaise Cassis with which to make you a fine example of one. :smile:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

I'd be happy to make you a kir (or Royale).  In fact, we have real Bordelaise Cassis with which to make you a fine example of one. :smile:

Thank you! The next time I'm in Philadelphia, you can expect to see me! I'll be the one ordering Kir to be made with real Bordelaise Cassis (if only I could find some here!).

The one that gets me is the Irish Car Bomb.  Besides being a strong contender for "Most Tasteless Drink Name Ever", ...

I totally concur.

I don't even like sitting three seats away from people who are ordering the things.

But then, I'm often working over a Black&Tan at the time, so I have my own hypocrisy and guilt to help me decide to keep drinking...

As a patron on the other side of the bar, I'd like to ask some of the pros how they feel about people (I am one) who insist on actual, freshly-squeezed lime juice--from a real little round fruit, rather than sour mix or bottled faux-fresh lime juice--in the making of a margarita or a classic daiquiri?

I have had varying reactions to this request across the country, from the "Sorry, I don't have time" variety to "Oh, it's you again, let me get the squeezer." (accompanied by a smile). For the record, I always offer to juice the limes myself, and have never ordered such in a very busy bar.

After all, the classic balance of sour-sweet-strong is best expressed by the original daiquiri. Which was made with a lime. Or two.

At La Floridita in Havana, the bartender had his own bar-back whose sole job it was to roll the limes, thus releasing the maximum juice.

Sorry to go on. This is a pet peeve of mine.

Please visit my new blog, Roadfoodie.

There's driving, and then there's Driving.

The chronicles of a food-obsessed traveler: her exploits, meals, and musings along the highways of America and beyond.

Hi Brigit. I think it depends on the place. Demanding literally fresh-out-of-the-citrus-squeezed juice seems a bit extreme. Most places I patronize squeeze their fresh juices daily and keep them in cold glass bottles. This is, needless to say, not the same thing as bottled faux-fresh citrus juice. Personally, I don't think there is a hugely significant difference between, say, a Daiquiri made using juice from a bottle of lime that was squeezed 4 hours ago and a Daiquiri made using limes squeezed to-order. Now... if the bar has nothing but sour mix and preserved bottled faux-fresh citrus juice, I can see why you'd ask for your juice squeezed to order. Myself, I ask if the bar uses fresh real citrus juices, and if they don't I'll just order a different kind of drink.

--

As a bartender, I'll make whatever you want and I'll never complain. But, I do work with some bartenders who have other reasons for being at work and providing good customer service isn't one of them. Most of them just want to pour beer and bang out rum and cokes, but they expect a good tip for these simple tasks. Basically, most bartenders equate # of drinks served with the amount they are going to make. i.e. more drinks, more tips. Anything that eats up their time is regarded as cutting into their income.

I'm a different kind of bartender though, I would rather spend the time talking to you, introduce you to new and classic drinks and make sure you have a great night. On that basis my tips can usually be greater than someone who served five drinks per minute but doesn't provide any customer service.

The Manhattan doesn't take anymore time to make than any other drink. Pouring a single pint can take 20 seconds or more so. A decent Manhattan can be made in about 30 seconds.

I'm going to agree here. A REALLY good bartender makes money due to quality of service, not quantity. I can think of a few occasions where a customer ordered a funky drink & I gave them a bunch of crap about it -- WHILE I MADE THEIR DRINK. (think Carla from cheers -- she made a mint being a bitch) It was part of the shtick. But no bartender should EVER complain about making a drink, especially if it is on a drink menu.

Thanks, Samuel. I agree that 4-hour-old real lime juice is quite fine, it's just that the terminology used can sometimes be confusing. The faux-fresh stuff is often referred to as "fresh" by a well-meaning bartender, but then the daiquiri arrives and is disappointing.

Once in Albuquerque, a waiter wearing bunny ears (it was Easter) said "Sure, no problem." I was surprised, but all the way across the room as she reapproached, I could easily see that the reason it was "no problem" was that the drinks had been made with ROSE'S LIME JUICE.

I guess this is just my cross to bear, and I'll learn to be REALLY specific.

Not a bad cross, really, as they go.

Please visit my new blog, Roadfoodie.

There's driving, and then there's Driving.

The chronicles of a food-obsessed traveler: her exploits, meals, and musings along the highways of America and beyond.

• 7 years later...

lot of talk about hating mojitos ....last xmas was making over a thousand a month, could smash out a beautiful muddled shaken garnished drink in 1 minute flat and had people from all over the world (cuba, ect) coming back for more....

The one thing I hate HATE HATE!!!!!!!!!!! is someone asking me for Bacardi which we don't stock (but still stock 10 other rums and spiced rums ) and after I have explained all about how Havana club is now no1 rum in cuba or stolen is locally made or try a nice dark rum or spiced rum..............

" Naaaaaaaa its alright ill just have a vodka lemonade" ...AAAAAAAAGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have no problem with making mojitos fast and accurately with good ingredients.

But my goodness isn't it such a boring drink to order? Especially when there's a Mai Tai on the list that is a millions times more exciting.

The Dead Parrot; Built from the ground up by bartenders, for everyone:

Monkey Shoulder Ultimate Bartender Champions, 2015

Twitter

Instagram

Untappd