• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Marlow & Sons

rich

There's finally a reason to travel to Williamsburg and it's not Peter Luger.

I went to Marlowe's last evening at 81 Broadway and had an excellent dinner. Located next door to Diner, which I will try shortly, Marlowe's boasts a small retail shop in the front and a bar and small dining room in the rear. It's a bit funky, so for those who care more about ambiance than food, this place is not for you. It has marble tables with benches and step stools for chairs - but every table has its own water bottle to satisfy the "waterholics."

My wife and I ordered four small plates and one entree - had a terrific Rhone and a wonderful time.

We started with a large bowl of Calamata and green olives marinated in garlic and EVOO - excellent. The crostini with White Beans was more like a salad on top of toasted sourdough - excellent. Three cheeses served with raisin and plain bread was superb - the cheese was a perfect temperture and the selection was terrific - creamy chevre, vermont cheddar and an aged gouda.

Up next was the highlight of the evening - chicken liver mousse. It was absolutely the best I ever had - it would make me quit fois gras. Light, airy, creamy only begin to describe it. It contains no cream or egg whites, but is made with anise, sherry a bit of vinegar and lightly poached chicken livers. It is then "moussed" with an emersion blender for "a long time." I will try this at home - they were very nice to give me the recipe.

We then split the Brick Chicken served with lemony collard greens. It was perefectly cooked - crisp skin, moist meat. And the Collard Greens were quite flavorful - an oustanding dish. We didn't have dessert, but ordered two glasses of a house Malbec with the chicken.

With a bottle of wine, two glasses of wine, four small plates and one entree the bill was $107 before tip. Right up there with the best $100 I ever spent in a resto.

Next came the retail shop where I bought dessert - a Clark Bar, which I was told is only made in England now. There are oils, vinegars, loose homemade and dried pastas (I bought some) and some produce, cheese and several types of bacon (I purchased the pepper bacon). The bood oranges looked great as did the avocados.

Got out the the retail shop spending less than $30 - not bad for me.

This is more than a neighborhood place - it's a destination spot for the adventurous. For those who don't care about white linens and beet foam wrapped alligator feet, you will enjoy yourself here. It's what the term "good eats" truly means.

Edited by rich (log)

Rich Schulhoff

Opinions are like friends, everyone has some but what matters is how you respect them!

There's finally a reason to travel to Williamsburg and it's not Peter Luger.

I went to Marlowe's last evening at 81 Broadway and had an excellent dinner. Located next door to Diner, which I will try shortly, Marlowe's boasts a small retail shop in the front and a bar and small dining room in the rear. It's a bit funky, so for those who care more about ambiance than food, this place is not for you. It has marble tables with benches and step stools for chairs - but every table has its own water bottle to satisfy the "waterholics."

My wife and I ordered four small plates and one entree - had a terrific Rhone and a wonderful time.

We started with a large bowl of Calamata and green olives marinated in garlic and EVOO - excellent. The crostini with White Beans was more like a salad on top of toasted sourdough - excellent. Three cheeses served with raisin and plain bread was superb - the cheese was a perfect temperture and the selection was terrific - creamy chevre, vermont cheddar and an aged gouda.

Up next was the highlight of the evening - chicken liver mousse. It was absolutely the best I ever had - it would make me quit fois gras. Light, airy, creamy only begin to describe it. It contains no cream or egg whites, but is made with anise, sherry a bit of vinegar and lightly poached chicken livers. It is then "moussed" with an emersion blender for "a long time." I will try this at home - they were very nice to give me the recipe.

We then split the Brick Chicken served with lemony collard greens. It was perefectly cooked - crisp skin, moist meat. And the Collard Greens were quite flavorful - an oustanding dish. We didn't have dessert, but ordered two glasses of a house Malbec with the chicken.

With a bottle of wine, two glasses of wine, four small plates and one entree the bill was $107 before tip. Right up there with the best $100 I ever spent in a resto.

Next came the retail shop where I bought dessert - a Clark Bar, which I was told is only made in England now. There are oils, vinegars, loose homemade and dried pastas (I bought some) and some produce, cheese and several types of bacon (I purchased the pepper bacon). The bood oranges looked great as did the avocados.

Got out the the retail shop spending less than $30 - not bad for me.

This is more than a neighborhood place - it's a destination spot for the adventurous. For those who don't care about white linens and beet foam wrapped alligator feet, you will enjoy yourself here. It's what the term "good eats" truly means.

Nice Review Rich. Sounds like it's worth a trip!

Did you happen to notice it was Meehan's $25 and Under pick in the Times yesterday? http://events.nytimes.com/2006/04/05/dinin...ews/05unde.html

That wasn't chicken

I noticed it was in the $25 and under when I got home and read the rest of the paper last evening - it was a bit strange. I was told about the place by a friend who stopped on his way to Luger. He was going to get some oysters before going to Luger - wound up cancelling Luger and stayed at Marlowe's the entire evening. Said he enjoyed the meal more than he ever enjoyed Luger.

SE - What has been the problem with Diner? It was standing room only when I left Marlowe's at 9:45 last evening.

Rich Schulhoff

Opinions are like friends, everyone has some but what matters is how you respect them!

A Mod might want to change the name of this thread to Marlow & Sons, the correct name of the restaurant, in case someone searches for it in the future.

"If it's me and your granny on bongos, then it's a Fall gig'' -- Mark E. Smith

Done, and I appreciate the clarification, because I've eaten a couple of times (though not recently) at a restaurant called Marlowe on Restaurant Row (46 St.). I would have asked if that restaurant had moved to Williamsburg...

Michael aka "Pan"

Hi Rich,

Thanks for the nice write-up.

I was your waitress on your visit. I also assist with the wine/drink list, host, etc.

I'm a huge booster of my current workplace and will happily answer anyone's questions/comments before or after their visit.

-Rax

P.S. The Chicken Liver Mousse also has a heavy handful of brandy, should you attempt to make it.

Drink maker, heart taker!

Hi Rich, 

Thanks for the nice write-up.

I was your waitress on your visit.  I also assist with the wine/drink list, host, etc.   

I'm a huge booster of my current workplace and will happily answer anyone's questions/comments before or after their visit. 

-Rax

P.S.  The Chicken Liver Mousse also has a heavy handful of brandy, should you attempt to make it.

Hi Rax. I wish I knew you were an eGullet member, it could have led to a more interesting conversation. And I might add the service was professional, friendly and enjoyable - I'm also referring to other wait-staff members who served tables around us.

Great job on the wine list.

You should be proud of Marlowe's - it's a great place. We will see you soon - that I promise.

Edited by rich (log)

Rich Schulhoff

P.S.  The Chicken Liver Mousse also has a heavy handful of brandy, should you attempt to make it.

Hey Rax,

I made the Chicken Liver Mousse for Easter Sunday and I got the taste just about perfect. It was a little heavier, so I'll work on "more fluffy" the next time.

Thanks.

Edited by rich (log)

Rich Schulhoff