• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Measuring ingredients

Wendy DeBord

I've got a new salter brand scale that's driving me crazy. It statics out as I'm weighing ingredients.

Wait......let me explain better.......

It must be drier in my room then I realize because as I pour flour or sugar into my metal bowl on my metal scale it gets a static shock. That turns my scale off. So I have to re-weigh sometimes repeatedly because it keeps shocking out my scale.

Does anyone else have this problem? And how do you get rid of it?

I'm standing on a rubber mat, I touch the scale to pre-shock it out. I've tried to put plastic saran wrap over the scale to ground it, but it creates more static.

I use a manual scale so haven't had this problem, but I'll throw my $.02 in anyway.

First, do you think there may be an internal wiring problem in the scale? It sounds like it may be overly sensitive.

If not, then how about putting some silicone/rubber (worn out silpat?) underneath the bowl instead of saran wrap (which is really static-y in its own right)?

Sounds like a real PITA - good luck.

have you tried taking out the batteries and putting them back in before using the scale? i have two salters and haven't had this problem before...they're usually pretty reliable and accurate.

wait til summer?! :blink:

good luck wendy!

That sounds like a big design flaw -- if a static electric discharge at the bowl turns the scale off, that must mean there is path for electricity to flow from the metal bowl to the electronic guts of the machine. My understanding is that electronic devices are usually designed specifically so that any current flowing through the outside of the device can't (easily) reach the circuitry inside, which are easily damaged by static electric discharges. I don't know how the measurable bowl attaches to your scale, but is there some way to seperate the metal bowl from the scale by using some kind of nonconducting material (I don't know why the saran wrap didnt work though)? My scale has a glass platform and I've never had this problem.

"If you hear a voice within you say 'you cannot paint,' then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced" - Vincent Van Gogh

I've had a salter for a while now and it has never done that to me.

I take that back, 8 months ago it was doing that but it was because it was running out of battery. Once I changed the battery it has worked fine.

I use mine up here in NY, where believe it or not it is very dry right now and I dont have any problems like that.

Very strange.

Dean Anthony Anderson

"If all you have to eat is an egg, you had better know how to cook it properly" ~ Herve This

Pastry Chef: One If By Land Two If By Sea

Wendy,

I'm not sure how much weight your scale can take...are you sure you aren't putting too much onto it? What size bowls are you setting on it?

Just a thought.

kit

"I'm bringing pastry back"

Weebl

Digital scales will react to extreme temperatures, moisture, dust, etc. For example, I've had problems recently using my 7001dx from www.saveonscales.com because my kitchen is very cold and sometimes I'd have to push the on button a dozen times to get it started, and then the tare wouldn't work. It didn't matter if I used batteries or the AC adapter. As soon as it got warm last week, the scale started working perfectly. But it sounds like your scale is defective and should be returned. I should add that I love my scale and it has a great warranty. It's my kitchen that needs to be changed.

Ilene

I have 2 different Salter scales and have never had that problem. I did have to exchange one of them although I can't remember what the problem was. They have a 10 year warranty and Salter is very good about honoring it.

Edited by CanadianBakin' (log)

Don't wait for extraordinary opportunities. Seize common occasions and make them great. Orison Swett Marden

I've used them too and occasionally had them spazz out like that.

The ac adapter sounds like a good idea.

Sure used to PO me when that would happen to me :angry:

2317/5000

My Salter tares back to zero at the most inopportune times, too. I've heard this is a common complaint for the brand, just never gone to the trouble of replacing it.

Kathy

Cooking is like love. It should be entered into with abandon or not at all. - Harriet Van Horne

Thanks for the ideas everyone!

This scale is a replacement of a replacement, already..........so I hate to have to return it. I used to have a plastic model salter scale, it used to zero out or turn off on me too, but not as often as my new all metal version does.

When I first got the all metal one I was measuring one day and realized that 1 lb of butter was weighing only 14 oz.. After further investigation I realized it was off, period and there's no adjusting them. So that one got returned. I've got my current new model (replacement) which is driving me crazy. I'll try changing the batteries and see if that helps......... My other two Salter scales did the same thing.......the plastic version less then the two metal ones.

Can one room be more staticly charged then another room? When I sift ingredients I always get static charges. If not, can it just be this brand of scales? Does this happen with other brands? (I know I can't get them to buy a more expensive scale.)

I have this Salter Aquatronic Plus as well as the original Aquatronic - I got this one because my back hurts when I bend enough to read the scale, especially with a larger container on it.

I have a balance-beam baker's scale for scaling dough and an old Salter balance-beam scale with both US and metric weights.

I have never had a problem with either Salter scale. The one above is usually on a butcher block or marble counter but occasionally sets on a stainless cart.

I think something is definitely wrong with yours. A wire is making contact with the metal casing or the plate or the insulation on a wire is cracked.

I check the calibration of my scales before I use them (with the weights from the old Salter) to make sure they are weighing correctly because the are errant when the batteries are not up to par.

I have been using the NiMH or Li-Ion rechargable batteries as I have found these are actually cheaper in the long run, compared to the regular ones. The so-called Super titanium-E3s do not last any longer than the regular "alkaline" batteries.

I also want to make one point. If you do not use your scale all the time, remove the batteries before you put it away. In an area where heat fluctuates greatly or where you have a lot of humidity, the batteries can corrode, leak and ruin the contacts.

Any electronic scale should have rubber or silicone "feet" to isolate it from the surface on which it is placed.

You shouldn't have a lot of static electricity unless you have unshielded motors running or if you have some electrical receptacle that are not grounded or do not have GFI. There is a very inexpensive item that looks like a plug with lights, that can test every receptacle.

Edited by andiesenji (log)

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett