• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

KeoKu

rooftop1000

We hit Keo Ku seriously hungry last night and they made us very very happy.

Our table of 4 "european americans" was treated to a BBQ feast of shrimp, chicken, thin sliced rib-eye and Spicy pork. The banchan (panchan) assortment included broccoli, bean sprouts, gelatinous vegetable stuff in chili sauce, steamed egg with scallion, black beans, seaweed salad, potato salad, and 3 refills of nice tangy kimchee.

Our server cooked everything for us on the center grill, which they change out after each meat. I kept waiting for the spicy pork but we were served in the order listed above...it became obviouse why after we got to the pork...soooooo good and sooooo spicy, we wouldnt hve been able to taste anything else if they had served it earlier :biggrin:

The after dinner fruit platter of oranges and grapes was arranged very nicely.

I like it ...I will be back

tracey

eric.....pictures

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

We hit Keo Ku seriously hungry last night and they made us very very happy.

Our table of 4 "european americans" was treated to a BBQ feast of shrimp, chicken, thin sliced rib-eye and Spicy pork. The banchan (panchan) assortment included broccoli, bean sprouts, gelatinous vegetable stuff in chili sauce, steamed egg with scallion, black beans, seaweed salad, potato salad, and 3 refills of nice tangy kimchee.

Our server cooked everything for us on the center grill, which they change out after each meat. I kept waiting for the spicy pork but we were served in the order listed above...it became obviouse why after we got to the pork...soooooo good and sooooo spicy, we wouldnt hve been able to taste anything else if they had served it earlier :biggrin:

The after dinner fruit platter of oranges and grapes was arranged very nicely.

I like it ...I will be back

tracey

eric.....pictures

I've been to Keoku a handful of times but never had a really great meal. Maybe I've just been ordering the wrong stuff...

Have you ever been to that Korean specialty restaurant up the road at the intersection of Route 46 and New Road in Parsippany? I've had some really excellent meals there. They have about 10 items on their menu, but they are homeade specialty items, such as a giant pizza-sized scallion pancake stuffed with fresh seafood and bubbling cauldrons of tofu. The name of the restaurant is (really easy to remember) Hwang Bu Ja Soondobu Korean and Japanese Specialty Restaurant.

• 1 month later...

Another great BBQ meal, 2nd one of the day but I digress. Dinner at Keo Ku tonight and the place was slammed, big parties - little parties and full table everywhere. We were seated pretty fast and ordered beef rib and spicy pork. There was cluncker among the banchan but thats a personal thing :wink: it was a very earthy "green" of some kind but another looked like arugala and was amazing with great spicy/sour notes and lots of sesame. We should all be lucky enough to eat 5 different veg and they taste good at every meal.

tracey

Edited by rooftop1000 (log)

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

My Webpage

Ummm Rt 46 Parsipanny....just west of New Rd on the Eastbound side

they have mostly 4-tops but also some real big tables around the edges in screened rooms

T

Maxine

My Webpage

• 10 months later...

Well everyone talking about Korean in NJ really got me going for something Spicy.

So off to Keo Ku and yummy again....rib slices and spicy pork as usual. Banchan included napa and cucumber kimchee - bean sprouts - broiled squid - dried fish - pickled daikon -seaweed - that stuff that looks like konnyaku with sesame kochujang dressing....ummm rice - lettuce ....

and a cinnamon flavored roasted corn drink at "dessert"

Tracey

Maxine

My Webpage

Well everyone talking about Korean in NJ really got me going for something Spicy.

So off to Keo Ku and yummy again....rib slices and spicy pork as usual. Banchan included napa and cucumber kimchee - bean sprouts - broiled squid - dried fish - pickled daikon -seaweed - that stuff that looks like konnyaku with sesame kochujang dressing....ummm rice - lettuce ....

and a cinnamon flavored roasted corn drink at "dessert"

Tracey

is this an all you can eat place? Husband is searching for an all you can eat, Korean BBQ/buffet place in NJ. any ideas?

Sue

This leads me to the thought that if we had a big enough group we could try more stuff.

Ok actually I had that thought while I was there....ISO I go

Tracey

Maxine

My Webpage

Keo Ku used to be all you can eat, but that didn't last once they gave everyone a lobster at the table, right as you sat down. We AYCE loyalists will just have to settle for Minado and elsewhere. :-(

"Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside" -Mark Twain

"Video games are bad for you? That's what they said about rock 'n roll." -Shigeru Miyamoto, creator of The Legend of Zelda, circa 1990

Hate to say this but KeoKu might be my least favorite korean restaurant in NJ. Their sides are pretty skimpy, there's no charcoal for the meat, and they skimp on a lot of stuff you take for granted at other korean joints. One time I asked for a round of rice and they charged me! Big no no. I got a seafood stew/soup there that was mostly broth and had almost no seafood in it.

I'll only go there when I absolutely have to.

• 3 weeks later...
Hate to say this but KeoKu might be my least favorite korean restaurant in NJ. Their sides are pretty skimpy, there's no charcoal for the meat, and they skimp on a lot of stuff you take for granted at other korean joints. One time I asked for a round of rice and they charged me! Big no no. I got a seafood stew/soup there that was mostly broth and had almost no seafood in it.

I'll only go there when I absolutely have to.

Joon - what place(s) in the area for Korean BBQ do you prefer?

I really, really enjoy Keo Ku and don't get there enough. I love the meats, and I enjoy the sides, but I go there for the meats.

I also like their "brown rice" which is this very sticky multicolored mix of rice.. delicious.

If there's somewhere better I NEED to know where it is.

Joon - what place(s) in the area for Korean BBQ do you prefer? 

I really, really enjoy Keo Ku and don't get there enough.  I love the meats, and I enjoy the sides, but I go there for the meats.

I also like their "brown rice" which is this very sticky multicolored mix of rice.. delicious.

If there's somewhere better I NEED to know where it is.

Hi Forceten,

Well, it depends on what you consider "area." In the immediate vicinity (say 10 mile radius?) KeoKu is the only Korean restaurant I'm aware of.

Have you been to any of the Korean restaurants in Fort Lee/Palisades Park? It's about 30-40 minutes away but in my opinion well worth the trip. For me the difference between charcoal grilled BBQ and gas BBQ is like night and day..

• 3 weeks later...

It is just amazing how a little Friday night traffic can bring a group of 7 down to 4 :sad:

Oh well Stinger and the lovely V joined Karl and I for Koreafest 2007.

While there was still hope we ordered a seafood and scallion pancake that was quickly scarfed with its scallion dipping sauce, while we got the traffic news and confirmation that we were a foursome

gallery_23695_426_195921.jpg

We called the waitress back and ordered a #20 :wink: Pork and Kimchee stew over soft tofu...may I say clouds of soft tofu with rich pork, rice cake and loads of kimchee and onions

gallery_23695_426_256594.jpg

the staff got a little ahead of themselves bringing the banchan and the meats to BBQ while the grill was still covered by the stew dish...so we ate a little faster

so we could get to our spicy squid bbq and finally, the to die for spicy pork bbq

gallery_23695_426_156478.jpg

gallery_23695_426_205454.jpg

gallery_23695_426_428726.jpg

My quest to try something more than BBQ has finally succeded but next time I want a really big group, so we can cause some trouble :raz:

tracey

Edited by rooftop1000 (log)

Maxine

My Webpage

It is just amazing how a little Friday night traffic can bring a group of 7 down to 4 :sad:

Oh well Stinger and the lovely V joined Karl and I for Koreafest 2007.

While there was still hope we ordered a seafood and scallion pancake that was quickly scarfed with its scallion dipping sauce, while we got the traffic news and confirmation that we were a foursome

gallery_23695_426_195921.jpg

We called the waitress back and ordered a #20  :wink: Pork and Kimchee stew over soft tofu...may I say clouds of soft tofu with rich pork, rice cake and loads of kimchee and onions

gallery_23695_426_256594.jpg

the staff got a little ahead of themselves bringing the banchan and the meats to BBQ while the grill was still covered by the stew dish...so we ate a little faster

so we could get to our spicy squid bbq and finally, the to die for spicy pork bbq

gallery_23695_426_156478.jpg

gallery_23695_426_205454.jpg

gallery_23695_426_428726.jpg

My quest to try something more than BBQ has finally succeded but next time I want a really big group, so we can cause some trouble :raz:

tracey

My bad, I was really trying to get there but I had to work late and when I decided to head here I was bumper to bumper and turned back. Glad it was good.

Lou