• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

'Swimming Scallops' Finally On Offer Here-Now!

Stopped by Go Fish for lunch today but the lineup was far too long so went down onto the Dock and picked up some Swimming Scallops .

These tasty bivalves are a wonderful local delicacy that's little known for a number of reasons.

Talking to Ken McGuffie of Quadra Island I got the lowdown on the nascent fishery and how him/his colleagues hope to bring these treats to our attention-much effort over the years has gone into developing a sustainable harvesting regime.

Haven't cooked them yet and I won't be posting pics if someone here is at all motivated I'd love to see what people are doing with them.

a great visual product with the shell, unfortunetly I get more complaints when I serve these than any other shellfish. I love em, but I think people are so programmed to the little white round things we normaly call scallops that to eat one with all its part attached freaks them out, Aqua Star has a great product out as well, a 10/20 scallop with the roe attached a very nice product, once again I love em, but customers flinch at the sight of the roe sack.

Colin

Colin Dunn

Burnt Out Exec Chef

This brings me back to one of my favourite diving memories. A little wreck just off Victoria with the deck filled with swimming scallops. I spent a few minutes just hovering off the side of the deck pocking at the little creatures and watching them swim up and then float back down. I felt like I was a kid again, obsessing over a new discovery!

I have never tried them, but love scallops (including all the surrounding bits). How do they differ in flavour to the common scallop, say, found at T&T?

Me thinks that a hot pot is in order to dunk these little creatures into!

Quentina

.......I think people are so programmed to the little white round things we normally call scallops that to eat one with all its part attached freaks them out........

I can see that-most people aren't terribly adventurous.

Of course this kind of new open dialogue offers those hide bound earthlings the chance to stretch their culinary bubble.

I have never tried them, but love scallops (including all the surrounding bits).  How do they differ in flavour to the common scallop, say, found at T&T?....Me thinks that a hot pot is in order to dunk these little creatures into!

They're rich with a bit more Clam like flavour than the traditional white meaty foot most people think of as Scallop.

When I was working at Blue Water Cafe we served them with a tomato and lemon Fondue with bread crumbs on top and then baked in the oven. We definitely had to warn guests ahead of time that these were not your usual scallop, but people loved them. Their heartier flavour allows for a slightly more aggresive saucing I think.

Or just eat them raw...clean everthing off the shell except for the muscle and the roe and marinate them with a squeeze of lime, some EVOO and a dash of sea salt and pepper.

...you have been warned! This is addictive.

PS, If you need any help ~ CALL ME!

Chef/Owner/Teacher

Upon the opening of the Victoria Marriott Inner Harbor, Chef had them served as chowder, a la minute. He insisted on this preparation, even after we changed to savoury clams.

Saute garlic, shallots, leeks and lardons. Add swimming scallops (or clams) and parcooked yukon gold potatoes, small dice. Deglaze with chicken stock, reduce by half, finish with cream, lemon, salt and pepper, and fresh herbs. Garnish with crispy shallots or garlic bread crumbs and smoked paprika creme fraiche. Easily the best chowder I have had, and no roux!!!!!

I forget, do these need to be purged like clams? As I recall, they are delicious.

-- Matt.

I am not sure if this spot still exists but quite a number of years ago we headed down to the Chuckanut Drive outside of Bellingham WA. to try out the Oyster Bay Cafe.

Had some terrific oysters and even better swimming scallops that were delicious.

• 1 year later...