• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Wine Library

Wine prices change. What's lower at one store this month may be a more expensive than the competition next month. You need to read the ads and e-mail announcements.

Additionally the service at Wine Library is excellent. There are many salesman on the floor and they will walk you to the bottle you ask about. They will also recommend other wines that you may like. My experience at Total Wine is if you ask about a bottle they'll tell you which aisle it is in.

Rosalie Saferstein, aka "Rosie"

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

Wine prices change. What's lower at one store this month may be a more expensive than the competition next month. You need to read the ads and e-mail announcements.

Additionally the service at Wine Library is excellent. There are many salesman on the floor and they will walk you to the bottle you ask about. They will also recommend other wines that you may like.  My experience at Total Wine is if you ask about a bottle they'll tell you which aisle it is in.

Prices can, and do, change frequently within a month, but they won't drop below a penny above the minimum.

FWIW, the Total Wines store in WO always seems to have the Help Wanted sign on the door, and the folks there rarely seem to be enjoying their jobs. I'd agree that the staff at Wine Library is much more helpful

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo

Wine Library has a much better collection of "hot" wines that are recently reviewed by Parker and Wine Spectator. Total Wines in WO has a more pedestrian selection.

If you just want to buy a wine that everyone has, Total Wine is OK. But if you're looking for something collectible or hard to get, I think that you'll find it at WL.

Ditto on the staff's helpfulness at WL.

finally found the place, I recommend going off 78/24 your first time - I found the back roads home to be a-ok, thanks Curlz.

The online sale was great, and it wasn't just on stuff that nobody buys. the in-store pickup was a disaster.... To pjm9277's point, I challenge anyone to walk into that place for a pickup and not splurge on any more. The staff made some recommendations.

As for price matching, at Essex Green they wouldn't give me the lower price for something I saw at WL (which was heavily discounted). I can't be 100% sure, but I challenge the staff's knowledge at Total Wine is anymore then speculation.

I only wrote about my experience as to the salesman who helped me. When I told him I saw the wine for a lower price and quoted the price which ended in a 7 he said "you saw that at Total Wine." I have been told that Total Wine has a 7 at the end of the prices that they are selling at cost.

Rosalie Saferstein, aka "Rosie"

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

Wine Library has a much better collection of "hot" wines that are recently reviewed by Parker and Wine Spectator... if you're looking for something collectible or hard to get, I think that you'll find it at WL. 

the in-store pickup was a disaster.... To pjm9277's point, I challenge anyone to walk into that place for a pickup and not splurge on any more.

I used my LWS for the longest time and resisted the call of WL but my LWS just can't compete with the selection and price WL offers. The advantages of buying in bulk and having the ability to move their product are our gain. Zachy's and Sokolin online prices are a tad higher than WL's.

When shopping on site you have to know what you like and want. The salesmen are very knowledgeable and helpful but they will try and sway you to buy their slower moving wines that may or may not be comparable to what you want. Bring your charts, can't really fault them for doing their job.

Cirilo

"There is something uncanny in the noiseless rush of the cyclist, as he comes into view, passes by, and disappears."

Popular Science, 1891

• 4 months later...
Whenever I have quoted a lower price at Wine Library it has been met. The salesmen actually knew which store had the lower price.

I am waiting to hear back from WL about some wine I ordered after being solicited by one of their "look at this unbelievable price for this great wine" email flyers. I ordered 2 cases at their "you won't see this price again" price.

We are now taking preorders on the Castello della Paneretta Terrine 2001. Rated 94 Points by the Wine Spectator, this fantastic Tuscan red is a blend of Sangiovese and Canaiolo. Our Pre-Sale price is just $37.99 a bottle ($455.88 a case). Please note, that when this wine arrives, any left over quantities will be sold in the store but the price will be $7 a bottle HIGHER!! Our in store price will be $44.99 a bottle . . . order today and save $84 a case on this 94 Pt Tuscan!

I am also a frequent purchaser from the Wine Exchange (www.winex.com) and I just happened to receive an email last week from them for the same wine at $28.99. After figuring in tax vs shipping cost (I had to pick up the wine from WL) the difference is almost $7 a bottle, nearly 20%! What do you think my chances are of getting anything back from WL on this purchase? I bought 2 cases, not an insignificant purchase for me.

Either way I will do my shopping a bit more judiciously in the future and refrain from drinking the WL Koolaid and I suggest that others do the same.

Get your bitch ass back in the kitchen and make me some pie!!!

• 7 months later...

Just saw this on Table Hopping with Rosie, so I thought I'd post:

1/28 (that's this Saturday):

A book signing and complimentary wine tasting with Frank Prial, author of "Decantations: Reflections on Wine" and a wine writer for the New York Times, will be held at the Wine Library, 586 Morris Ave, Springfield. 1 to 3 PM; advance orders will be accepted for autographed copies ($11.99). For information call 888-980-WINE.

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

Just saw this on Table Hopping with Rosie, so I thought I'd post:

1/28 (that's this Saturday):

A book signing and complimentary wine tasting with Frank Prial, author of "Decantations: Reflections on Wine" and a wine writer for the New York Times, will be held at the Wine Library, 586 Morris Ave, Springfield. 1 to 3 PM; advance orders will be accepted for autographed copies ($11.99). For information call 888-980-WINE.

Thanks, I'm in the area and may stop by.

Peter Conway

Food and Wine Guy

Mano A Vino Montclair Food and Wine Blog