• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Wine Library

"...Wine Library [wine store in Springfield] will be running their 2nd annual Customer Appreciation Sale--Friday July 26th at 9 AM EST...the sale will pop up on the website at that time,also the store will be filled with the special yellow sale tags.Last year the sale was a huge winner and most of the cherries were gone by the end of weekend,so dont delay..." ( from the newsletter)

I was planning to go this Saturday, but it's probably worthwhile to wait until friday.

• 5 months later...

Here is an announcement about next sale (from their newsletter):

"Our first major Clearance Sale will debut on Wine Library.com next week! Read on . . .

Watch for our HUGE Clearance SUPER SALE next week! Save up to 60% off As many of you know, our retail showroom is getting ready to undergo a huge renovation and as a result, we will launch our biggest clearance sale yet for one week only - January 22nd - January 29th! The sale will launch at 10 AM on Wednesday, January 22nd. If you are shopping on our website, look for the huge banner on the top of our home page. If you live in the area, come on down to our retail showroom! We will have special tags set to let you know which items are included in the sale. Shop early and often since wines will sell out very quickly and in most cases limited quantities will be avail!

"

• 1 year later...

Resurrecting this thread b/c I was surprised that there wasn't a general Wine Library thread in the NJ forum; maybe Rosie can change the name of this one?

I just wanted to report that after leaving the hot dog run in Millburn yesterday, I had to stop in to see the newly renovated Wine Library location--and it's a MAJOR improvement from the previous store! They've expanded (same bldg) in to a beautiful new space that includes an elevator to the second floor, which is where "all of our bordeaux, from $7 to $700 is...", along with Riedel and Spieglau stemware, decanters and accessories. Upstairs is full of dark wood moulding and shelving, along with a half a wall of coolers that contained some rather pricy stuff; the most expensive single bottle I spotted was a Petrus for, iirc, $459.99. They also have a 'large format' section that's just fun to browse through--magnums + of wines from all over the world. Everything is wired; I saw the staff checking inventory via Palm Pilots with a memory card/stick...pretty cool! And their staff is very helpful and from what I overheard, knowledgeable. If they don't have it, they can usually get it, and they do ship via their web site. The main floor houses the rest of the wines, along with beer, liquor and other basics.

If you haven't been and are in the area, it's certainly worth a visit. It's basically on the corner of Millburn and Morris Avenues--if you're familiar with the big free-standing Bed, Bath & Beyond or Kings in Short Hills, you're within 1/2 mile.

Wine Library

586 Morris Avenue

Springfield, NJ 07081

www.winelibrary.com

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

In addition to wine, the Wine Library also offers a great selection of imported and microbrewed beer. Currently they are only carrying 20 brands of beer because they are in the process of expanding and don't have the space yet. In the meantime, another great place for beer is Gary's on Main St. in Madison.

John the hot dog guy

Was at the Short Hills Mall today, and on the way home we decided to check out the Wine Library. As with most New Jersey places, I got lost on my first shot. It wasn't a total loss, on my way to 124 West which turned into Main Street, I passed Scalini Fedeli, a place I've heard so much about.

So two questions:

1) How the &*$@ does one get to the Wine Library from the Short Hills Mall? Was I close?

2) Is Scalini Fedeli worth the hype?

thanks!

Frank--

You were indeed close, and it IS a very confusing area! No surprise at all that you ended up in Chatham.

From the Mall, your best bet would be to get on 24 East and take the 2nd exit, which is for (I'm preeeeeeeety sure) Springfield/Millburn. The ramp loops around and you'll cross over 24 and be on a 3 lane, 1-way road. There's a huge Bed, Bath & Beyond on the left--keep going straight, stay to the right, and go through the light at Scotty's Steaks and through the next one, which is almost immediate--that's where Millburn Ave ends at Morris Ave. The WL is just past the Millburn Ave light/intersection, on the left.

Going back is FAR easier--turn right out of the WL and just stay on that road, which is a 2-way that eventually runs parallel with Rt 24W, and you'll be back at the mall.

Their web site, www.winelibrary.com, has directions at the bottom of the home page--but none of them bring you in this way--probably b/c it's so damn confusing!!! Trust me, though--these will get you there. If you go from home, there are lots of other ways--PM me and I'll be happy to help.

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

my husband does much of his wine collecting thru WL...and every time we go, I get confused and feel we've missed it...I'm glad to hear WL has completed construction...last time I went, I had to walk to Taco Bell to use the bathroom.

In case anyone is interested the Wine Library will be having a 5 day inventory clearance starting Wednesday, January 26th. The sale is on-line and in-store, sale starts at 11:00 on-line, but I would suggest going to the store if you haven't been.

Now that's some dangerous info!!

Thanks...

Thought I'd bump this up and share the Wine Library's sale page...

Happy shopping! :biggrin:

Here are different directions from the Short Hills Mall. Not as direct but perhaps easier to follow.

When you exit the Mall turn RIGHT onto JFK parkway (yes away from 24 - I am trying to avoid the crazy clover loops with these directions).

Take the first exit, Parsonage Hill Road. It will be a ramp on your RIGHT. At the top of the ramp turn RIGHT onto Parsonage Hill Road.

Take that to the top of the hill/first light. Turn RIGHT onto White Oak Ridge Road. Follow this road, - warning it is very twisty and turny but no odd splits or anything - maybe 2-3 miles? to 24, which is the first light. Cross over 24 to the second light and turn LEFT.

STAY to the right and do not get on 24. This street will go under 24 and merge into Morris Avenue. The wine library is on your LEFT, about 3 or 4 stop lights down. You know you are getting close when you see th Dunkin Donuts on your right.

Hope these directions are easier, I tried to avoid any highway clover leafs.

AlisonA

Still searching for hash browns in Jersey.

AlisonA: You'll find that a Syd's dog is a bit longer than the one in your avatar. Ask for grilled rather than boiled, and try the baked beans alongside! Oh, and if you haven't yet, check out Tabatchnik's and Sonny Amster's, two other places you should know about in the Millburn Mall.

I received a gift certificate for the Wine Library and used it earlier this month. It's a very impressive store and I wound up spending way more than the value of the GC! Looking forward to my next visit when I'm in that area again.

Total Wine is in the back of the Essex Green shopping center. If you know of a lower price Wine Library will meet it.

That's what a lot of places say, but by the time you try to prove it to them, you're better off just buying it at Total Wine. Their selection and pricing in River Edge is awesome. A lot more info here: Total Wine Egullet Thread

Whenever I have quoted a lower price at Wine Library it has been met. The salesmen actually knew which store had the lower price.

Under NJ's state minimum wholesale price policy, the minimum price is known to everybody. So, if you're getting goods from a wholesaler, for example, you know the minimum wholesale price applies to every other retailer. Even Costco or Total Wines or Wine Library. That said, a small bottle shop in Middletown can't afford to sell goods at a penny over cost, while Total Vines can do that for a few products.

The floor price is counter-intuitive, of course, since it means that competition is limited, but the state collects its wholesale and retail taxes and wouldn't want a price that's too low.

Other states have different policies, so this wouldn't necessarily apply to many of them.

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo