• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pan Cubano

bluechefk

anyone have a good recipe for pan cubano? my chef has asked me to make this, and not only have i not made it before, i don't think i've ever tried it at all :shock: i've started researching it, and have found a couple of recipes that look like they might be ok - still, if anyone eGulleters have recipes or tips to share, i'd appreciate that most of all!

kerry

Total Flour Weight (TFW)

*note*

I think it is important to use lard instead of vegetable fat. In my opinion you wil get a more authentic, traditional flavor and texture.

Recipe:

Start with your poolisch: 100% Flour, 100% Water @ 70F, and .25%-.5% Yeast. Ferment this for 12 to 16 hours depending on quantity of yeast and ambient temperature. Preferably between 70 to 80F.

Your Dough could consist of: 100% Flour, Water 64 - 67%, 30 - 45% Pre-ferment, 2.7% Sugar, 2.7% Salt, .25% Yeast (Spike).

In a bowl add your starter, water, sugar, lard and spike. Stir to together. Add flour and salt. Mix together for 4 to 6 minutes or until dough achieves a smooth consistency. But shouldn't take more than 4 to 6.

Bulk ferment for 45 minutes, pre-shape and let rest for 10 - 20 minutes covered. Shape into a torpedo shaped loaf and proof for 45m - 1hr. Bake @ 350 until done. You can egg wash the tops with a mixture of egg yolk thinned with milk and a little salt. Use steam if you can. Throwing a little water on a stone previously placed in your oven will sort of work. You have to be careful because you'll think they are done before they actually are. You can bake these in loaf pans or free form. It all depends on presentation. I've made minis before in the bakeable baskets. They were cute.

I hope this helps. If you're unfamiliar with the bakers math, here is a sample recipe:

Preferment:

.5# Flour

.5# Water

Pinch of yeast

Dough:

1.25# Flour

11.5 oz - 12oz Water

.5 oz Sugar

.5 oz Salt

1.5 oz Lard

3/4 tsp Yeast (Spike)

.25 - .5# Pre-Ferment

Good Baking!

Shane

thanks, shane - this is exactly what i was looking for. one question - i read through a number of recipes for cuban bread online yesterday; they called for all kinds of combinations of all purpose flour, bread flour, and hi gluten flour. your formula doesn't specify - i'm assuming i should use bread flour, but can you correct me if this is wrong? also, are you using fresh, dry or instant yeast in your formula?

thanks!

if you do, it must be the h ouse next door :wink: i let my starter ferment overnight in the fridge & am heading downstairs now to warm it up & get on with the bread - will have my husband photograph the results & report back later!