• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Drinks in New York

FabulousFoodBabe

My Pegu question (and maybe this is OT): Do they still toss the yolks from their egg white drinks? If so, why? If not, what is happening to them? The first time I went there (with therese :wub: ), we sat at the bar hunched over our cocktails, telling the bartender what we'd do with all those egg yolks. Mayonnaise. Creme anglaise. Etc.

"Oh, tuna. Tuna, tuna, tuna." -Andy Bernard, The Office

Pegu does have wine by the glass, and they will happily serve you one, but from what I remember they only have 4-5 whites and 4-5 reds.  (I never ordered wine there myself so I don't know of the exact number)

If you want a wine bar I would suggest either Divine Bar on 51st street  or  Vintage New York Winebar on Broome street for a large selection of wines by the glass.

John

And sparkling - Pol Roger by the glass, also used in their cocktails calling for Champagne. Drool.

Oh thats right -- how could I forget one my favorite drinks the Jimmy Roosevelt -- cognac, green Chartreuse, and Champagne over cracked ice and a bitter soaked sugar cube. Whoa nelly. A little dab will do ya.

John Deragon

foodblog 1 / 2

--

I feel sorry for people that don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day -- Dean Martin

My Pegu question (and maybe this is OT):  Do they still toss the yolks from their egg white drinks?  If so, why?  If not, what is happening to them?  The first time I went there (with therese  :wub: ), we sat at the bar hunched over our cocktails, telling the bartender what we'd do with all those egg yolks.  Mayonnaise.  Creme anglaise.  Etc.

It's not really sanitary for them to keep them or do anything with them in that context.

--

My Pegu question (and maybe this is OT):  Do they still toss the yolks from their egg white drinks?  If so, why?  If not, what is happening to them?  The first time I went there , we sat at the bar hunched over our cocktails, telling the bartender what we'd do with all those egg yolks.  Mayonnaise.  Creme anglaise.  Etc.

It's not really sanitary for them to keep them or do anything with them in that context.

Interesting. Since they have to separate the whites and handle the eggs for consumption, I wonder why it would not be possible to just put the yolks into containers for holding?

WARNING: This Post Is In Questionable Taste

we sat at the bar hunched over our cocktails, telling the bartender what we'd do with all those egg yolks.  Mayonnaise.  Creme anglaise.  Etc.

You really had me going until I got to the word "Mayonnaise".

Edited by Sneakeater (log)

WARNING:  This Post Is In Questionable Taste
we sat at the bar hunched over our cocktails, telling the bartender what we'd do with all those egg yolks.  Mayonnaise.  Creme anglaise.  Etc.

That would be covered under "Etc."

And yes, they were pitching the yolks (three of them on my say so, if memory serves, though it might not) on our visit a few weeks ago.

Also pitched was a perfectly nice glass of champagne, ordered by a woman who was clearly not paying for her own drinks. I try not to think about it.

Can you pee in the ocean?

WARNING:  This Post Is In Questionable Taste

:laugh: Geez. It didn't even occur to me that eggs were used for anything other than culinary.

Beekman Tower: Wonderful View! It worked location-wise and for this occasion, was just right (we had three conflicting schedules that had to converge somewhere). Since they have a family thing tonight, they'll go to the top of the Ritz in Battery Park ... and they extended their stay until Thursday, so I'll get to see them off at Pegu!

The 15 year old daughter actually heard of a "Fitty-fitty" ... from a Rachael Ray show! As I got ready to tsk-tsk her, she said, "don't worry, Fab., we watch her to laugh at her." My budding pastry chef :wub: I hope she goes to CIA out here ...