• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Drinks in New York

FabulousFoodBabe

By the way--have you been to Harvest on Hudson?--Westchester.

talk about a view!

Yeah, it's pretty great! The view, I mean. This outing is a little selfish for me, I have to admit. I love the city and would live there if I could (and I shall, one day). So being able to spend some time with my friend in the city is for me, too. :rolleyes: We'd considered having them come up to Blue Hill at Stone Barns, but since they only have Monday and Tuesday free (and those are their closed days), that will have to wait.

"Oh, tuna. Tuna, tuna, tuna." -Andy Bernard, The Office

The bar at the Four Seasons is a beautiful place to have a drink (isn't that where Patsy and Idina of Absolutely Fabulous went all the way from London to see their perfect door handles?).   :wink: 

I also second the Bemelman's bar suggestion - for me, that's classic New York.

Yes, yes! Mr. FB's office is in the same building as the Four Seasons; whenever I walk through the doors, I think of the girls. :laugh: I miss them. (The door handles are perfect ... and I love 'quickie' lunches at the bar, too.)

I wish we had more time! They're in town for just the weekend and a day (the "family function" is a performance at Carnegie Hall -- talk about overachievers! :cool: ), and Miss B. (the daughter) really wants a view. I wonder if she won't like the Times Square idea, along the way, with or without Aunt Fabbie as a guide.

I'd immediately thought of Pegu Club; I feel like it should be on the list. Perhaps after dinner ...

You could always drink vodka from a bottle in the back of a cab like Patsy ... :biggrin:

Seriously, I like all these suggestions. Never been to Pegu before, though. Is it a mob scene?

Edited by H. du Bois (log)

I'd recommend Pegu during the week if you don't want a mob scene. It's a definite must go. Cocktails and bar food that you can't beat anywhere in NY.

Other amazing cocktail place is Angel Share, but not so much of a view. I wouldn't recommend with a 15 year old, but there are few places that I would which have great cocktails. Good for small group, not more than four people. Actually think that it's one of their "rules".

As for bars with a view, sadly WOW is no longer with us.

I'd recommend Pegu during the week if you don't want a mob scene. It's a definite must go. Cocktails and bar food that you can't beat anywhere in NY.

I'm really liking Pegu. Miss B., our 15 year old, could probably pass as 21 (can't they all, these days?). Bar food before Nobu may not be such a good idea ... though I could do it. (This will be my first time at Nobu, after several attempts, which are all stories for another day.)

Our reservation is 6:30, on a Monday, so if we're meeting at 5:00, it probably won't be a mob scene anywhere. Or so I hope. Man, I really have got to get out of the 'burbs more often! :rolleyes:

I'm really liking Pegu. Miss B., our 15 year old, could probably pass as 21 (can't they all, these days?). Bar food before Nobu may not be such a good idea ... though I could do it. (This will be my first time at Nobu, after several attempts, which are all stories for another day.)

Our reservation is 6:30, on a Monday, so if we're meeting at 5:00, it probably won't be a mob scene anywhere. Or so I hope. Man, I really have got to get out of the 'burbs more often! :rolleyes:

Oh yeah - you'll be fine. On weekends, mob scenes tend to start around 10:30, 11:00. The last time I was at Pegu on a Friday night, it was at 9:00, and it was not hard getting a seat.

Post-work times can be a challenge, but that scene won't be in full swing till 6:30 or so.

"We had dry martinis; great wing-shaped glasses of perfumed fire, tangy as the early morning air." - Elaine Dundy, The Dud Avocado

Queenie Takes Manhattan

eG Foodblogs: 2006 - 2007

Just to pile on, no mob problem at all at Pegu at 5 PM on a weeknight (I've been). If anything, you might feel it's too empty and lifeless. But you won't care because THE DRINKS ARE FANTASTICALLY GREAT, THE ROOM IS PERFECT, AND (DID I MENTION THIS?) THE DRINKS ARE FANTASTICALLY GREAT.

Go once, and I guarantee you you'll be finding a lot of excuses in the future to come down to the City and be on Houston St. around cocktail time.

Edited by Sneakeater (log)

Just to pile on, no mob problem at all at Pegu at 5 PM on a weeknight (I've been).  If anything, you might feel it's too empty and lifeless.  But you won't care because THE DRINKS ARE FANTASTICALLY GREAT, THE ROOM IS PERFECT, AND (DID I MENTION THIS?) THE DRINKS ARE FANTASTICALLY GREAT.

Go once, and I guarantee you you'll be finding a lot of excuses in the future to come down to the City and be on Houston St. around cocktail time.

If it weren't for those pesky kids, I'd be in the city right now!* I've been to Pegu Club, loved it, and those bartenders are amazing.

Okay. My friends are staying at the Benjamin and said there's a place up there where we can start, with a great view ... they're on vacation, I'm freelancing now, and we can start early and stay late. We can wind our way down to Nobu, and keep going.

The vodka in the cab is a terrific idea. I will wear sunglasses, too! But no headscarf unless we do ride the ferry.

(*) pesky kids think I should spend lots more time in the city. They've offered to drive me. When teenagers are enthusiastic about what I'm up to, my Mom alarm sounds! :laugh:

Edited by FabulousFoodBabe (log)

Not to try to take you away from the Pegu Club, because by all means you should not miss it, but if you're still hankering for a view, there's an amazing one from the Top of the Tower in Beekman Tower, a hotel on First Ave. Click here to see the view.

It's really like being in the clouds because the skyscrapers are so close you can almost touch them — instead of looking down at the street or the park or across a river at the skyline.

Of course, you won't get the sorts of cocktails as at Pegu.

Liz Johnson

Professional:

Food Editor, The Journal News and LoHud.com

Westchester, Rockland and Putnam: The Lower Hudson Valley.

Small Bites, a LoHud culinary blog

Personal:

Sour Cherry Farm.

Not to try to take you away from the Pegu Club, because by all means you should not miss it, but if you're still hankering for a view, there's an amazing one from the Top of the Tower in Beekman Tower, a hotel on First Ave. Click here to see the view.

It's really like being in the clouds because the skyscrapers are so close you can almost touch them — instead of looking down at the street or the park or across a river at the skyline.

Oooh, I've been there, too! I remembered the experience, but couldn't remember the name of the hotel. Lovely view.

Well heck, this isn't even my thread, but I now feel like I can't live till I get to Pegu for a drink. :smile: Will have to think up something more rareified than a martini to order.

FFB, have a wonderful time with your friends.

Oooh, I've been there, too! I remembered the experience, but couldn't remember the name of the hotel. Lovely view.

Well heck, this isn't even my thread, but I now feel like I can't live till I get to Pegu for a drink. :smile: Will have to think up something more rareified than a martini to order.

FFB, have a wonderful time with your friends.

What's wrong with a Martini? Actually, this is one of the few bars where you could just ask the bartender to make you "something". Just tell them what you'd like, i.e. whiskey, gin, vodka, etc. Last time I was there I let them ply me with Rye cocktails until the cows came home.

Audrey was working on a cocktail which was basically a Martini with a small amount of Scotch in it. I forget what they were naming it, something like the Smoketini. They used a very smoky Scotch, but very sparingly.

They've got a great selection of liquor, so have them whip you up something exotic. One of the few bars where I'd order a Ramos Gin Fizz.

Audrey was working on a cocktail which was basically a Martini with a small amount of Scotch in it. I forget what they were naming it, something like the Smoketini. They used a very smoky Scotch, but very sparingly.

I beleive that was probably the Dreamy Doritiny(maybe) made with an Islay.

Proper full name of the drink would be:

Dreamy Dorini Smokin' Martini.

I think it's the glass rinse of Ardbeg scotch that provides the Liqiud Smoke flavoring equivalent in that particular drink.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Liz, thank you for that suggestion! It may well be where we start.

And duBois, thank you for your good wishes ... I can't wait to see these folks. I'll be sure to report where we went and what we did -- my friend emailed me today asking if the Rainbow Room was good for pre-theater! Ack! I told her to go to Tintol, db, or preferably Le Bernardin, depending on how much time they have. (They're here to see her husband's sis perform at Carnegie Hall, and lots of family are in town, but this dinner will just be her and her husband.)

They live in Carmel, btw. The views are a little different from her back deck than from here! And beautiful, in a different way.

Speaking of the Rainbow Room and views, my wife and I went there for a bottle of Dom Ruinart at the bar, a just after getting engaged (at Lutece). Big window behind the bar wit a view of all of lower Manhatten. I've never heard anything that would make me actually want to eat there, but for champagne, views and goo-goo eyes, it was pretty swell.

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.

Proper full name of the drink would be:

Dreamy Dorini Smokin' Martini.

I think it's the glass rinse of Ardbeg scotch that provides the Liqiud Smoke flavoring equivalent in that particular drink.

It's been around for a while & appears in Gary's 2003 book:

. . .I have enjoyed Audrey's "Dreamy Dorini Smoking Martini."  It goes a little something like this:

2.0 oz : vodka (Grey Goose specified)

0.5 oz : Laphroaig 10*

2-3 drops : Pernod

Stir with ice, strain into a cocktail glass.  Garnish with lemon twist.

* I have used other intensely smokey single malts, such as Lagavullin, with success

--

Speaking of the Rainbow Room and views, my wife and I went there for a bottle of Dom Ruinart at the bar, a just after getting engaged (at Lutece).  Big window behind the bar wit a view of all of lower Manhatten.  I've never heard anything that would make me actually want to eat there, but for champagne, views and goo-goo eyes, it was pretty swell.

this is a very sweet story, and made me email my friend immediately and say, "at least have a little champagne at the RR."

Thank you for sharing this, Busboy!

Well heck, this isn't even my thread, but I now feel like I can't live till I get to Pegu for a drink.  :smile:  Will have to think up something more rareified than a martini to order.

What's wrong with a Martini? Actually, this is one of the few bars where you could just ask the bartender to make you "something". Just tell them what you'd like, i.e. whiskey, gin, vodka, etc. Last time I was there I let them ply me with Rye cocktails until the cows came home.

They've got a great selection of liquor, so have them whip you up something exotic. One of the few bars where I'd order a Ramos Gin Fizz.

Er, well, nothing's wrong with a martini! (That's why I like them so). :wink: But I don't branch out beyond red wine or vodka martinis very often - I'm a woman who knows what she likes. That being said, I wouldn't mind doing what you suggest - might as well play the field in the drink division every now and then, and it seems, from what you say, that Pegu's the place to do it.

Er, well, nothing's wrong with a martini!  (That's why I like them so).  :wink: But I don't branch out beyond red wine or vodka martinis very often - I'm a woman who knows what she likes.  That being said, I wouldn't mind doing what you suggest - might as well play the field in the drink division every now and then, and it seems, from what you say, that Pegu's the place to do it.

If you like martinis, try the Fitty-Fitty at Pegu. One part gin, one part dry vermouth, and a dash of bitters. Yum!

"We had dry martinis; great wing-shaped glasses of perfumed fire, tangy as the early morning air." - Elaine Dundy, The Dud Avocado

Queenie Takes Manhattan

Er, well, nothing's wrong with a martini!  (That's why I like them so).  :wink: But I don't branch out beyond red wine or vodka martinis very often - I'm a woman who knows what she likes.  That being said, I wouldn't mind doing what you suggest - might as well play the field in the drink division every now and then, and it seems, from what you say, that Pegu's the place to do it.

If you like martinis, try the Fitty-Fitty at Pegu. One part gin, one part dry vermouth, and a dash of bitters. Yum!

mmmm ... Fitty Fitty. (I agree, Ms. Megan.) I've also been looking for a place to learn to drink Scotch. It could happen here.

These are the ultimate northern Californians, gang. Any wine bar suggestions? I have no idea if Pegu Club even has a good wines-by-the-glass.

Pegu does have wine by the glass, and they will happily serve you one, but from what I remember they only have 4-5 whites and 4-5 reds. (I never ordered wine there myself so I don't know of the exact number)

If you want a wine bar I would suggest either Divine Bar on 51st street or Vintage New York Winebar on Broome street for a large selection of wines by the glass.

John

John Deragon

foodblog 1 / 2

--

I feel sorry for people that don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day -- Dean Martin

If you like martinis, try the Fitty-Fitty at Pegu.  One part gin, one part dry vermouth, and a dash of bitters.  Yum!

If you're feeling adventurous try a 1:1 martini at Pegu with their basil infused Bianco and Hendrick's.

If I were a little younger and a little less wise, I'd probably try every one of them. :raz:

Pegu does have wine by the glass, and they will happily serve you one, but from what I remember they only have 4-5 whites and 4-5 reds.  (I never ordered wine there myself so I don't know of the exact number)

If you want a wine bar I would suggest either Divine Bar on 51st street  or  Vintage New York Winebar on Broome street for a large selection of wines by the glass.

John

And sparkling - Pol Roger by the glass, also used in their cocktails calling for Champagne. Drool.

Queenie Takes Manhattan