• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Gallo en Chicha

Recently, I was in Perquin, Morazan, El Salvador, and had a local(?) dish named Gallo en Chicha. I think the literal translation was "moonshine rooster".

I know that the ingredients contain fermented pineapple, chicken, raisins, and green olives--at least for the version I ate.

Does anyone have instructions or a recipe for this? I would love to produce this for my family and friends.

I always attempt to have the ratio of my intelligence to weight ratio be greater than one. But, I am from the midwest. I am sure you can now understand my life's conundrum.

Do you have any Chicha?If not, one of the recipes suggests using cider vinegar.

Or you could make your own according to the amusing pages below. Most folks compare it to a sour belgian beer like a lambic.

The Chicha Pages

Edited by eje (log)

---

Erik Ellestad

If the ocean was whiskey and I was a duck...

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

Being a normally savvy Gooooooooooogle (incidentally, if I ever meet the founder of Google, I'm going to give him a dictionary and tell him to study it so he can learn to spell) I stumbled over those recipes.

However, help from people with experience at these recipes, or from someone with a reputable source is what I'm looking for. Too often I've found that randomly found recipes from search engines disappoint.

I always attempt to have the ratio of my intelligence to weight ratio be greater than one. But, I am from the midwest. I am sure you can now understand my life's conundrum.

You say that; but, I know you really want to make one of the original native american fermented beverages. I know I do!

Growing my own corn, though, seems a bit much.

Perhaps some seed corn from the local farm supply store.

---

Erik Ellestad

If the ocean was whiskey and I was a duck...

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

Growing my own corn, though, seems a bit much.

Perhaps some seed corn from the local farm supply store.

I grew up farming corn, so that doesn't disturb me at all.

But, the description I saw said a fermented pineapple broth. I do not know whether they meant a fermented broth with pineapple added later, or a broth of fermented pineapple juice.

I may simply have to start breaking out some mason jars and getting to work.