• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Fishmonger in San Diego

i'd like to find a good local fishmonger here in san diego. i know i can always go to the point loma fish market, but it's a rather long drive through traffic after work to get there, and they're always so busy i don't feel like i can strike up a relationship with the people there. i want to be able to go to a place and be able to make special requests for things, or request certain cuts of fish without feeling like i'm being hurried along by the massively huge line of people behind me. :hmmm:

anyone have any suggestions? i live in university city, so anything above the 8 and below del mar would be ideal. thanks in advance!

Catalina Offshore Products are off Morena Blvd. and have great fish and selection. They are mail order but have local pick-up hours as well.

There is another place I've heard of but never been to in Pacific Beach. Great-News cooking school buys their fish here. I can't recall the name but call them at 1-888-478-2433 and ask them where they get their fish for the classes.

I know what you mean about the Point Loma shop...too busy for my liking as well. Prices questionably on the high side too. I would give Catalina OP a chance. Huge selection. Look around the site and see what I mean.

Hope this helps,

Bob.

edited to resemble English

Edited by Octaveman (log)

My Photography: Bob Worthington Photography

My music: Coronado Big Band

Blue Water Grill has excellent fish. It's a casual restaurant with a fish counter inside that serves as an outlet for the family's fishing biz. Selection is not as large as Point Loma Seafood, but the quality is equal or better. Prices are about the same as PLS, maybe a $1 or so per lb. lower.

The fish counter at the Hillcrest Whole Foods (7th & University) is also pretty good, but as with most of Whole Foods, pricey.

Did you know that at Point Loma Seafood you can call ahead, tell them what you want and they'll have your order ready to go when you stop by. No having to fight the crowds and long waiting lines. So, if not actually seeing each piece of fish prior to purchase isn't a big deal, this could be an option for you as well.

And finally, there is alway Ranch 99 Market up in Clairmont. They usually have a variety of live fish from which to choose and their fishmongers will clean and dress it in 5 of 6 different ways.

Thanks for the scoop on Catalina Offshore Products.  I'm going to try it soon.

I'm working on an order for regular and sashimi quality stuff. Gonna pick up this Sat and grill some fresh U-8 scallops and steak for a surf-n-turf thing. The only thing about this place is they have minimum quanitities with each fish. Most are 2-lb min but that's okay. It would be easy for two people to eat 2 lbs of fish in a week with 8 ounce filets per person. Almost forgot, sign up for their newsletter and get member discounts.

Edited by Octaveman (log)

My Photography: Bob Worthington Photography

My music: Coronado Big Band