• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Hangover Breakfast Solutions

tommy

My recently re-tested three step system:

Step 1) find cartoon marathon on tv or put in cartoon dvd. Cartoons for whatever reason prevent head from spinning. Old Ren & Stimpy works best.

Step 2) determine if one cold can of Coke exists in fridge, without moving from current location. If yes, determine if movement is wise. If movement is wise, retrieve soda. Nurse slowly, possibly supplemented with bread.

If Coke does not exist in fridge, determine when it will be wise to move to location that Coke can be procured. Doze until then, then continue with above instructions.

Step 3) When Coke is completed, heave self off to nearest available fish and chips. Eat with malt vinegar and salt in copious quantites. Resist urge to consume Guinness with fish and chips unless stomach proves worthy.

Am I really the only one who needs the perfect symmetry of grease, carb and protien that is fish and chips?

--adoxograph

before going to bed after a night of binging have some tripe soup ,guaranteed not to have a hangover.

Funny you should say that, because for years I have been depending on La Tapatia's tripas tacos for booze relief. There's something deeply reassuring about the taste and feel of well-fried tripas after a night of serious bombing followed by three hours of passing out followed by a harsh ring from the old alarm clock.

As for the soup, it tends to give me such insufferable stankbreath that noggin pain seems secondary. Wonderful stuff, but please consider the length of your mouth from your nose...and everybody else's.

Nam Pla moogle; Please no MacDougall! Always with the frugal...

Menudo - great because it's always avilable on saturday and sunday.

Rare steak and eggs, lots of hot sauce.

Ice coffee, or my favorite, the Crack-rockaccino - as many tall shots of espresso  that one can fit into a glass with ice, drunk as fast a possible.

Have you ever read the Raymond Carver story called menudo? Its been a favorite story and a favorite hangover cure of mine for years. If anyone out there knows a place to get great menudo in the Tampa, FL area please let me know. Oh and dont forget the hot sauce!!!

"And those who were dancing were thought insane by those who could not hear the music." FN

Biscuits and gravy and a beer. Then to bed

Bruce Frigard

Quality control Taster, Château D'Eau Winery

"Free time is the engine of ingenuity, creativity and innovation"

111,111,111 x 111,111,111 = 12,345,678,987,654,321

Two different cures I have witnessed but not tried personally:

1. Fernet Branca (a liqueur made with 40 herbs), straight up or with Coke,

taken as the last drink of the night. This is a fav with chefs and they

swear by it.

2. In the morning drink the following: 26 freshly shucked, raw oysters, tomato

juice, Tabasco, 1/4 a bottle of Mexican beer, made as a drink and chugged as

fast as possible.

We actually saw a bartender drink that as we sat at the oyster bar/ bar in

Shaw's Crab House in Chicago, nursing our own hangovers with traditional

Bloodys and a huge platter of raw oysters. He said it is fool proof and he does

it every Sunday.

Too much wine last night :wacko:

Grease. Any food substance with grease involved is all I want right now.

True Heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic.

It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost,

but the urge to serve others at whatever cost. -Arthur Ashe

There are 2 kinds of hangovers:

A - the kind where you awake with your digestive system in rebellion at all the alcohol you poured into it last night, in which case there's no way you can think about breakfast. There's nothing to do but ride it out until you stop doing the liquid laugh or techicolour yawn or whatever your favorite euphemism is (mine is 'negative breakfast', as in "I had a negative breakfast today"); or

B- the kind where your digestion is working, and you don't wake up in jail. We're obviously all talking about the latter here. These barely qualify as hangovers, in my book. For breakfast, I recommend a couple big mugs of Starbuck's Yukon Blend, an mild overdose of extra-strength Tylenol, and this variation on huevos rancheros:

Chop 1/2 onion, a few cloves of garlic, saute w/some sort of chili - chopped fresh, powdered, whatever you have. Even Tabasco works. I mean, it's not like you went shopping last night for your hangover breakfast, and there's no way you're going out now, so you have to use what's at hand. And maybe some oregeno and cumin, but who cares, if you're truly hung over you can't taste any subtle stuff.

Throw in a 14oz can of tomatoes, break them up small if they're whole. Bring to a simmer.

Crack a couple of eggs right into the sauce, put a lid on, let them poach in the sauce.

Serve in a soup bowl w/sour cream or grated cheese, corn chips on the side, in front of the TV with the sound off.

Then make yourself a big-ass healthy orange or red colored drink - maybe a Screwdriver, Bloody Mary or Tequila Sunrise, grab some sunglasses, and you're ready to face another day.

Hong Kong Dave

Hong Kong Dave

O que nao mata engorda.

• 6 months later...

congee is the best cure for hangover gut. something with caffeine--preferably cold--is needed for the headache. aspirin (two only--anything more has no therapeutic action in the body) if your stomach doesn't hurt, ibuprofen if it does. i never waste opiates when i feel too cruddy to enjoy them.

my problem with excess drinking is that i can't sleep. o sure, i crash hard for 2 hours and then i'm up. back in my wild party days, i used to make pies at 4:00 AM, the distract-myself method of hangover treatment. and the resulting pies made my roommates happy enough to leave me alone and be reasonably quiet the rest of the following day.

I usually crave food so spicy that the pain makes me forget my hangover. I sail for awhile on the endorphins.

Pickled cascabella peppers in soy sauce with chunks of x-tra sharp cheddar and a few hunks of rare beef. A bit of chewy bread and a rather sweet, creamy iced coffee.

If thats too complicated, diet 7up with loads of ice and saltines with butter and Tabasco. Lots of them. And asprins! Lots of them.

Shelley: Would you like some pie?

Gordon: MASSIVE, MASSIVE QUANTITIES AND A GLASS OF WATER, SWEETHEART. MY SOCKS ARE ON FIRE.

Twin Peaks

I am all about cold buffalo wings as a hangover cure (spicey as possible. Heated ones will work too if there are no cold ones leftover from the night before).

He don't mix meat and dairy,

He don't eat humble pie,

So sing a miserere

And hang the bastard high!

- Richard Wilbur and John LaTouche from Candide

Runny eggs, corned beef hash, butter-drenched toast, home fries with plenty of onions, everything doused in Tabasco.

What's really bad, for me, is when I start cooking, drunk, in the middle of the night:

Me: Peanut noodles would be really good right now, huh?

Jeff: Mmmmm, peanuts.

Me: With some fish sauce and bell peppers and red onions dunked in hot water to make them soft but crisp, you know, kind of squelchy, like a good pickle?

Jeff: Mmmmm, pickles.

Me: Mmmmm, pickles. I wish I had a big cheeseburger right now with pickles and onions.

Jeff: Or peanut noodles.. with pickles and onions and cheese.

<extended pause>

I think you all know where this is going.

...doing the liquid laugh or techicolour yawn or whatever your favorite euphemism is (mine is 'negative breakfast', as in "I had a negative breakfast today"); or...

...Talking to Ralph on the Big White Phone.

Edited by GG Mora (log)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

Let's forget about hair-of-the-dog for a minute. What do you eat when you're worse for wear? Bacon, egg, and cheese on a hard roll? English fry? Salt bagel? Croque Madame? Onion soup? Congee? Ramen and egg? Frito pie?

Wherever you're from, Beefcheeks would like to know what your home region's favored curative is, if it has any history attached to it, and why, exactly, you think it makes you feel better.

Thanks, and cheers.

BeefCheeks is an author, editor, and food journalist.

"The food was terrible. And such small portions...."

--Alvy Singer

A Senegalese-style groundnut stew works wonders. I now serve it in our shop on New Year's Day.

Rich Westerfield

Mt. Lebanon, PA

Drinking great coffee makes you a better lover.

There is no scientific data to support this conclusion, but try to prove otherwise. Go on. Try it. Right now.

Let's forget about hair-of-the-dog for a minute. What do you eat when you're worse for wear? Bacon, egg, and cheese on a hard roll? English fry? Salt bagel? Croque Madame? Onion soup? Congee? Ramen and egg? Frito pie?

Wherever you're from, Beefcheeks would like to know what your home region's favored curative is, if it has any history attached to it, and why, exactly, you think it makes you feel better.

Thanks, and cheers.

Yup, a breakfast roll. An Irish breakfast (sausages, rashers, black/white pudding, an egg or two, hash browns if you can handle it) in a crusty roll. It's usually the preserve of builders and taxi-drivers, but crosses all societal boundaries in times of hangover. Not ground breaking, but it tidily combines all the elements - carbs, fat and protein. Washed down with a glass of orange juice and many cups of tea. It makes French people living in Ireland gag :biggrin:

Required: Greasy spoon diner. Eggs scrambled with cheese. Side of bacon (not too crisp). Make a sandwich out of the eggs and bacon on heavily buttered toast (preferably buttered by the grill guy with his little mop-o'-liquid-butter). Side of french fries, loaded with salt. Diet coke. After: nap on the couch.

Glorious.

...wine can of their wits the wise beguile, make the sage frolic, and the serious smile. --Alexander Pope

If I'm hungover and near good korean food I will eat: spicy pork neck soup with potatos, soon dae guk - spicy blood sausage soup or pretty much anything that is incredibly spicy with pork products thrown in

if I am REALLY hungover and too lazy to make food or go out to eat, I will just run down the street to burger king grab a double whopper value meal with a side of chicken fries. Yes, I can eat all of this in one sitting. Papa Gino's (new england pizza chain) large pepperoni pizza with their mozarella sticks and a liter of mountain dew will also do the trick.

why is it that when one is hungover the only thing one craves is really spicy and/or greasy food with lots of carbs?

BEARS, BEETS, BATTLESTAR GALACTICA

MLK weekend was a long one for me...though it's kind of hazy, this is what I ate when I managed to make it out of bed:

cold tea

ice water

toast with cream cheese

the weather in Chicago was so crappy and each morning I felt bad enough that I didn't even try to make it to a diner (even though there's an IHOP about 200 ft from my front door) for a carb/grease/salt fix.

I can remember what I ate, now where the hell did these bruises come from?