• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Hangover Breakfast Solutions

tommy

Good to see there's still a healthy number of folks who take pride in drinking heavily.

Step 1: 2 Excedrin with a large glass of water, go back to sleep for an hour. Have a packet of Morning Relief but haven't tried it yet -- last time I remembered, I had already had my 2 Excedrin & 2 cups of coffee -- don't know what would have happened, probably not relief.

Step 2: Bacon Cheeseburger Deluxe, well done, with home fries instead of french if they're good at the diner. If not, gravy. Coke. If it's really bad, apple or cranberry juice instead. Grape juice is the best, I agree, but they rarely have that at my diners.

Question: do you drink coffee before you go? Order it at the diner? Sometimes I have coffee while I'm waiting for my food, but that really guarantees a mad dash to the restroom before the meal is over. But if I miss my coffee altogether, I'll never really feel human all day.

My old standard used to be Mrs. Grass's chicken soup -- the one with the grease egg inside the package, some Ritz crackers & Velveeta, washed down with Ginger Ale, and followed by a satisfying, eardrum-shattering belch.

Hangover music: "Turpentine Willie" from Horses in the Mines by the Bad Livers. It will make you feel like you're hung over when you're not, but when you are it makes you feel like the outside world is synchronized to the turbulence your body is experiencing. Kind of equalizes the pressure. Try it!

Oh, and about the olive oil thing -- my friend told me that in the South, the moms of some of the guys she dated would make them eat several heaping spoonfuls of mayo before they went out. Terrifying thought.

Queen of Grilled Cheese

NJ, USA

Bacon Cheeseburger Deluxe, well done.

I've found that for hangover prevention, nothing beats a three piece KFC meal, extra mashed potatoes, and a liter of water as you head home with a brain full of tequila.

I once woke up in a Super 8 motel in a scarily small west texas town after a bizzarre almost-all-nighter at some strange little nudie club on the far, far outskirts of San Antonio, only to find my jeep littered with flakes of "extra crispy" and tongue tracks through the mashed potato container.

I have no idea what happened in there, but I wasn't hung-over. I was missing my right shoe, however, and the gearshift kept sliding out of my hand for all of the day-old grease.

Good to see there's still a healthy number of folks who take pride in drinking heavily.

Ah, I don't take pride in getting drunk. Booze makes you stupid, not something most of really need that much extra help with.

I do enjoy a good time and, in the swamps and bayous where I used to play, the two would very often go hand in hand. I don't get stupid drunk anymore, my tolerances falling with age, but there is still the occasional hangover. Not all lessons learned are heeded.

Edited by mcdowell (log)

I once woke up in a Super 8 motel in a scarily small west texas town after a bizzarre almost-all-nighter at some strange little nudie club on the far, far outskirts of San Antonio, only to find my jeep littered with flakes of "extra crispy" and tongue tracks through the mashed potato container.

I have no idea what happened in there, but I wasn't hung-over. I was missing my right shoe, however, and the gearshift kept sliding out of my hand for all of the day-old grease.

(Shudder)

What the hell is it with San Antonio? I still haven't figured out what happened one night there... there may have been swimming involved, but most of my clothes were suspiciously dry. I just hope it wasn't in the river. Bartender told me a lot of people end up in there.

I had Tex-Mex beforehand. Michael Bolton was there. Waiter and I spied on him & made snide comments. Didn't work like the KFC, though -- worst hangover of my life, bar none. Definitely something about that fried chicken -- did I neglect to mention that the spoonfuls of mayo followed a fried chicken dinner, for good measure? Maybe it's been the chicken all along.

I have a midnight curfew now when I travel for work. :hmmm: And no intention of sticking to it.

Booze makes you stupid, not something most of really need that much extra help with.

I hope the missing word in this sentence is "us" and not "you." (Hint -- between of & really)

Queen of Grilled Cheese

NJ, USA

• 1 month later...

My favorite hangover cure: Anything with tomatoes in it. Especially leftover spaghetti (although I love it anyway). I go out clubbing on thursdays, and always have some sauce thawed for friday morning breakfast. Especially since I'm off the green until I get a job. Otherwise it's spaghetti, coffee, and a bowl.

oh the memories this thread brings back....

for me, it has to start with a shot of whiskey (this is the hardest part)

then it is off to George's for a Roundhouse....which is two of everything on a plate of cheese covered hashbrowns...

plenty of agua and rest...

last time I was that hungover I made this egg nog that was damn near flammable and I was the only one who could stomach it....needless to say I woke up half naked on my porch with my dog licking curdled egg nog puke off my face....good times, good times...

and the birthday bender is Sunday....

"Make me some mignardises, &*%$@!" -Mateo

• 3 months later...

Last night I thought it would be a good idea to open a half bottle of champagne 5 minutes before midnight and drink it all in about 20 minutes. (My fiance doesn't drink unless he wants to get drunk.) Well, it wasn't going to be any good the next day...but neither was I.

I woke up feeling ok but felt progressively worse through the day. Had a couple little raisin bagels for breakfast. For lunch I had some leftover beef and potato stew which did not sit well. Then I had a Reed's extra-ginger beer and a club soda later on and some chicken chili just now. I feel ok now. At least I didn't have to sleep all day like last time.

I just mentioned to my fiance that I am posting in the Hangover thread, and he said, "Oh, you're hung over today? You don't seem any crankier than usual." :biggrin:

Perhaps if we'd only had 3 bottles of champagne....there were 6 of us. We had 5. That was after numerous bottles of red & white wines to go with the various dinner courses....slept most of the afternoon!!

Barbara Laidlaw aka "Jake"

Good friends help you move, real friends help you move bodies.

While living the life of Put in Bay as one of the lucky few barstaff, I think I may have consumed solely liquids. The day started out with a Gatorade (the red one was fine, blue if that was all that we had left, which BTW was stocked solely for the bartenders), a bottled water then a couple cups of good tasting coffee. Later in the afternoon, in between a couple sips of diet cola, the Red Bull was a necessity.

Such was the cycle from April until November, each year I remained working there.

french toast with lots of butter and syrup and some sausage links just before going to bed, and a cup of coffee in the morning

or

eggs, scrambled with cheese and a couple pancakes or over easy w/wheat toast, bacon, hashbrowns with ketchup. Coffee, and perhaps some orange juice. I'm usually starving after a night of drinking.

It (the cure) always starts with as much Coke with ice as I can bear. If the hangover is severe, the rare-cheeseburger-and-fries cure follows, always accompanied by dark sunglasses.

BTW, never ride in an elevator when you're severely hungover.

i realize that if you are reading this, it's probably too late for my suggestion. sorry... :sad:

but there's something called the KGB pill, invented reputedly to allow Soviet spies to drink foolish amounts of alcohol and yet wake up unafflicted.

but otherwise yeah, i make bacon, eggs, lime-hollandaise, and roll it in whole-wheat pita. :wub:

"The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the ocean."

--Isak Dinesen

but there's something called the KGB pill, invented reputedly to allow Soviet spies to drink foolish amounts of alcohol and yet wake up unafflicted.

I've used this stuff before (RU-21). They sell it in health food stores. There's also Chaser, which works in the same way. You take them while drinking. They work pretty well. If you're out late, you're still tired, but none of the nausea, throbbing head. etc that comes with a hangover.

For me, it's usally either a Gatorade or Vitamin Water to wash down McDonald's breakfast if it's during the week. On the weekends, I like corned beef has w/2 over-easy eggs & toast to to do the trick.

I've also chugged a bottle of grape Pedialyte in the morning as well. Make sure it's ice cold though.

There was a study in the medical press recently on caffeine decreasing the length of time in takes for aspirin or paracetamol to work, from forty to twenty minutes. So a pint of tea, your painkiller of choice, and a ranitidine for the ulcer, and you should be on the right track. I have once tried one of those cold eye-packs too, and it (briefly) let me forget how dreadful I felt.

Hmm, don't drink beer with preservatives, and drink 2 liters of water before bed is usually my surest cure.

Otherwise, my roommate swears by Denny's and I swear by 2 1-liter banana bags (anybody wanna guess what I volunteer as?)

Edit to add: and a bloody mary that had LOTS of tabasco and pickled pepper brine. No celery, but a sharp dill pickle, too

Edited by jsolomon (log)

I always attempt to have the ratio of my intelligence to weight ratio be greater than one. But, I am from the midwest. I am sure you can now understand my life's conundrum.

• 2 weeks later...

I've used this stuff before (RU-21). They sell it in health food stores. There's also Chaser, which works in the same way. You take them while drinking. They work pretty well. If you're out late, you're still tired, but none of the nausea, throbbing head. etc that comes with a hangover.

They were running ads for Chaser non-stop last night. I thought it was a joke. So it does really work? I know it probably does nothing for bad acting... :raz:

Some scrambled eggs with cheese, bacon and toast always makes me feel better. Or corned beef hash! But usually, a couple of White Castles and some chicken rings before passing out usually means no hangover in the morning for me.

Hmmmm. Hard to tell...hangover 'breakfast' usually has to happen the night before, unless I pass out before then...usually I don't pass out. Probably because I'm a bit of a wussy drinker, but mostly because I'm soooo hungry after drinking...water throughout the night and morning is the only sure mitigation factor that I know of...but cravings are another matter...

The two-egg breakfast at the local truck stop was the fall back in college, whether breakfast or midnight cushioning...Over-easy with wheat toast. Hash browns. Bacon. O.J. Lather, rinse, repeat. They actually also made heavenly oatmeal from scratch (thick cut oats) with raisins and cinnamon, which turned up on the table occasionally.

I'd love to find a 24-hour joint with food that good again...

Nikki Hershberger

An oyster met an oyster

And they were oysters two.

Two oysters met two oysters

And they were oysters too.

Four oysters met a pint of milk

And they were oyster stew.