• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Hangover Breakfast Solutions

tommy

:raz:

Go eat dim sum!!! All that greasy dim sum: har gow, shiew mai, daikon pancakes, char su buns, congee, dumpling soup stuffed with pork and shark fin. Washed down with lots of really strong tea.

What has worked for me as a preventative is to take 2 Tb of olive oil before I go out to eat and drink. On my bday I went out to eat korean bbq and then afterwards went to drink martinis. I was not hungover the day after...

Thanks for reminding me, Tissue. When I lived in Soho (London), Chinatown was just across the street. I frequently tackled dim sum on those difficult Sunday mornings. It's hot, greasy, and you can eat really quite a lot of it almost without noticing. The chopsticks could be a bit of a challenge on bad days.

Acck! Have not been around to post in ages, and this is the first one that pops up!

Just survived a truly nasty hangover from innumerable Knob Creek Manhattans (the 9/11 drink of choice). My ass was saved by carnitas tacos w/ tons of muy picante salsa, a rootbeer float and vicodin.

Cheers! :biggrin:

Monkey

We need to find courage, overcome

Inaction is a weapon of mass destruction

On my bday I went out to eat korean bbq and then afterwards went to drink martinis. I was not hungover the day after...

Perhaps you did not consume enough Martinis.

No, perhaps I did not...

alas my tolerance is not what it used to be...

My own prejudice -- that there really is no hangover food, at least in the sense that a food can uniquely shorten or alleviate the symptoms -- is borne out by this thread. Even the hydration paradigm is challenged by the hair-of-the-dog crowd. Could it be that a person's hangover food and drink are actually each person's secret craving? What if the question was asked this way: "What would you eat and drink each morning for breakfast if no one was watching and nobody cared what you look like?" I'll bet some of the answers would be surprisingly similar.

My answer is: a bacon cheeseburger with lots of pickles and mimosa cocktails.

--

ID

--

After extensive field research, I have found that the best cure for a hangover is the following:

First, a glass of still fizzing Brioschi--or failing that--a cold Coke.

This to be immediately followed by a joint of the strongest hydro-weed you can muster. Once the urge to cough up one's liver and lights has subsided--and (thanks to the smoke) the crimes and humiliations--not to mention residual nausea and guilt---of the night before have faded to an ugly but hazy memory--one should have a few bites of leftover kung pao chicken, still cold from the carton. Follow this by a few hours in the prone position, watching the most undemanding television you can. Obviously, the films Under The Volcano--or Lost Weekend or Days of Wine and Roses is out. CourtTV is good--because you can always see people in worse, more hopeless situations than you find yourself. If in New Orleans--and CourtTV is unavailable--eat breakfast at the Hummingbird Grill. You'll be amazed how bright things look after.

abourdain

Follow this by a few hours in the prone position, watching the most undemanding television you can. Obviously, the films Under The Volcano--or Lost Weekend or Days of Wine and Roses is out. CourtTV is good--

Insipid dating shows work, too.

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

And I miss Jello Pudding Pops too.

They're pretty easy to make with those little Dixie bathroom cups (or real popsicle holder thingies), popsicle sticks and jello instant pudding.

http://www.kraftfoods.com/jello/index.jhtml

Problem is you have to think ahead, but it's sure safer than those trips we used to make to the grocery in anticipation of the morning after...

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

Growing up, as I did, in Quebec, I know the answer to this sucker: A full-sized, unleaded pepsi and a bag of poutine (delicious greasy frites smothered in gravy and hard curd cheese.

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

Actually, I take 3 tylonal just before going to bed after too much indulging, and it usually either cures the hangover effect in the morning, or certainly makes it a lot less. I swear by this.

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

Marlene, babe...no Tylenol!  Bad for the liver, seriously.  If you want to court liver damage, there are more fun ways.

I figure the alcohol is courting liver damage anyway. However, 3 regular asperin will work just as well.

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.