• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Hangover Breakfast Solutions

tommy

Hamburger Hamlet used to make a Hangover Omelet, a big one filled with bits of ham and runny cheese covered in salsa. Not a panacea, but it tasted good and seemed to help. I believe they also had some "cure" which was a fishbowl of beer mixed with tomato juice (never tried it).

I'm hollywood and I approve this message.

Jello pudding pops are great if you're hungover. However, I don't think they make them anymore.  :sad:

Jello pudding pops were great I really miss them :sad:

I swear by this pill that is sold at my drugstore, Liverlite, the trick is to remember to take it BEFORE you consume.

I cannot tell you how many times I have been hanging out in my bathroom thinking, if only I had anticipated getting this *@#$ faced.

Unfortunatly you usually don't think of it before hand, but if you do that pill is great stuff.

After a night of bong hits, snorting caviar and drinking tequilla I would think that the only cure would be a snort of ajax followed by a cigarette and a shot of cough syrup.

Or you might want to try a rare cheeseburger and a coke.

Hey Guys,

I am use to drinks lots alcohol during carnival and the best hangover breakfast that will allow you to drink more the next night is:

Lots of water

Any carbohydrate available: bread, pasta, or rice

As little sauce as possible (just butter is better)

A type of fruit to give you sugar (preferably coconut water that has lots of minerals and sugars)

And please don't come with the sausage thing, we need to give our system a break not invade it with strong food. At the end, we will be prepared to drink even more.

I could use some Pho right now.  Actually went to a karaoke bar last night.  The world is weirder than I thought.

invite me next time. i'm a real good singer. errrr, or maybe i should say i'm mildly entertaining at karaoke bars. :wacko:

I don't doubt it. You'd be mildly entertaining at a funeral. :rolleyes:

i'd pay good money to see tommy do karaoke.

I hear he even dons a tux and hair piece and belts out a mean version of "Fly Me to the Moon."

He does bear a striking resemblance to Elvis. A little "Jailhouse Rock" might be in order.

i'd pay good money to see tommy do karaoke.

i've won prizes. and i have a tape of a non-prize winning performance of the monkees, which, i think, was brilliant, no doubt due to my drunken friend, who i met that night. ahh, the good ole days.

I am use to drinks lots alcohol during carnival and the best hangover breakfast that will allow you to drink more the next night is:

It's well known the only way to get a hangover tomorrow is to drink more than you did the night before. What's with the sausage?

Wilma squawks no more

Jello pudding pops are great if you're hungover. However, I don't think they make them anymore.  :sad:

Jello pudding pops were great I really miss them :sad:

I swear by this pill that is sold at my drugstore, Liverlite, the trick is to remember to take it BEFORE you consume.

I cannot tell you how many times I have been hanging out in my bathroom thinking, if only I had anticipated getting this *@#$ faced.

Unfortunatly you usually don't think of it before hand, but if you do that pill is great stuff.

One semester I had a grad student in chemistry for a roomie. He drank a lot of beer. He had a jar of some reagent that he took spoonfuls of after bingeing. Don't know what it was, but he swore by it.

I'm hollywood and I approve this message.

My "cure" happens on the night, not the morning after.

I keep a few packages of those super-spicy kimchee flavored noodle bowls in the back of my cupboard. If I have one before I go to bed I feel loads better in the AM.

A few Advil and a glass of water at around 7 AM, followed by a few more hours of sleep, is by far the best "cure" for me, though it doesn't really constitute breakfast.

Bloody Mary is great for a regular-size hangover, along with a rare burger (lots of pickles and fries) and iced coffee.

Virgin Mary and sourdough toast for a bad hangover.

For those truly awful, I-swear-I-will-never-do-that-again mornings, ginger ale and a cold compress is the extent of breakfast. (Glad to report those don't happen too often anymore...)

• 4 weeks later...

Spicy, spicy, spicy food: chili, Malaysian noodle soup. Anything that will shock the system and cover up throw-up breath. And lots and lots and lots of water, but not at the same time as the food.

Or just spend the whole day in bed (for once, alone is preferable).

Spicy, spicy, spicy food: chili, Malaysian noodle soup.

When I was in high school, we lived in Thailand. The worst hangovers were after a night of Mekong, the Thai rice whiskey. We tried to get the oldest bottles we could (date of distillation was printed on the back of the label so we could look through the bottle and see date); hopefully snagging a bottle that was at least two months old. This stuff was great until the next morning -- the wickedest hangovers I've EVER had (far worse than Southern Comfort or tequila).

The cure: Thai noodle soup or a plate of rice noodles stir fried with squid, topped with every last pepper that was in that condiment jar with the little Thai hot peppers in vinegar, followed by a bit of Thai stick and/or a valium (available over the counter at the time) and the day in bed. Left us ready for another night of Mekong!

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"