• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Easter pastries around the world

filipe

If chocolate eggs are (at least I think they are) universal on what concerns to Easter traditions around the world, every country/place might have its own particular dishes and, in this particular forum, pastries.

Here in Portugal the most common cakes during Easter are the FOLAR (please don't read it as if it was a spanish word...), which is a sort of sweet bread, with a little taste of aromatic herbs, which is baked with one boiled egg (or more, depends on the size) as if it was a nest.

gallery_40488_2237_79932.jpg

The other one is indeed called Ninho de Pascoa (Easter's Nest) and it's a yellow cake covered with chocolate, with a hole in the middle where people put egg-strings (as if it was a real bird's nest) and then stick there some chocolate eggs or almonds.

gallery_40488_2237_1401.jpg

I've decided to do a little "makeover" on the Easter's Nest and tried to use the same concept but with a different dough. I've used pâte a choux, baked two rings and a round base, layered them with chocolate, covered it randomly with some caramel, filled in the middle hole with some chocolate mousse and then the chocolate egg, covered in cocoa.

gallery_40488_2237_10722.jpg

Filipe A S

pastry student, food lover & food blogger

there's allways room for some more weight

Italy has many pastries that are Easter specialties.

La Columba, or the Easter dove, is a sweet yeast bread made in the shape of a dove.

Another Easter sweet bread, Ciambellone (search recipe by name at site) is made in a coil shape.

Pastiera, a Neapolitan specialty, is a pie filled with wheat berries. I baked one for a party many years ago and am seriously considering making one again this Easter. The same website linked above has a recipe (search Wheat Berry Cheesecake) though that's not the exact recipe I used.

A Genovese specialty is the Pasqualina, a savory pie filled with Swiss chard, ricotta cheese, and Parmesan cheese.

This article describes other regional specialties.

SuzySushi

"She sells shiso by the seashore."

My eGullet Foodblog: A Tropical Christmas in the Suburbs

Here in Portugal the most common cakes during Easter are the FOLAR (please don't read it as if it was a spanish word...), which is a sort of sweet bread, with a little taste of aromatic herbs, which is baked with one boiled egg (or more, depends on the size) as if it was a nest.

How does one eat this? Do you remove the egg before eating the pastry, or do you cut right in and then pick out bits of eggshell?

Cutting the lemon/the knife/leaves a little cathedral:/alcoves unguessed by the eye/that open acidulous glass/to the light; topazes/riding the droplets,/altars,/aromatic facades. - Ode to a Lemon, Pablo Neruda

Hot Cross buns....

hate them, don't know where they are from, sorry!

but i have to say i love your version of the birds nest. that looks really yummy.

I've had nice ones, but I think many commercial versions can be less than great. I think they are historically associated most with England.

A hot cross bun is a type of sweet spiced bun made with currants and leavened with yeast. It has a cross on the top which might be made in a variety of ways: it could be pastry, made from a simple flour and water mixture, cut from rice paper and glazed onto the bun, or simply cut into the bun itself.

In many historically Christian countries, the buns are traditionally eaten on Good Friday, with the cross standing as a symbol of Christ. They are believed by some to pre-date Christianity, however, being used in rituals in paganism, though there is no original source and the first recorded use of the phrase is not until 1733. Another urban myth is that the Christian church in England attempted to ban them, but they were too popular, and instead Elizabeth I passed a law permitting their consumption, but only on particular religious occasions such as Easter and Christmas.

article

The article mentions that modern Australian versions have the same spices, chocolate in the dough and chocolate chips substituted for the currants.

Also, here's an earlier thread on regional Easter cakes and breads: click

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

In Russia, they make Kulich.

That's right. Here is our table for the Orthodox Easter last year.

gallery_34224_2175_33454.jpg

In the center of the table there are the two kuliches I baked, plus boiled eggs. The eggs are supposed to be decorated or at least colored in bright colors actually, but my friend who was responsible for providing those is not very handy with food coloring :smile:. And when I was growing up in the Soviet Union, we did not have food dyes, so mom would boil eggs with onion peelings to make them intense brown. I remember I was so jealous of the kids who had eggs other than brown :smile:.

Here's the inside of the kulich:

gallery_34224_2175_231230.jpg

All yellow from egg yolks and saffron.

And, filipe, no, chocolate eggs are not universal: they have not been traditional to Russia :smile:.

Edited by Alinka (log)

Alinka

We (Romanians) are doing the same... "colaci" or "cozonac"

Sweet dough filled with walnut mix...

55129318O459739313.jpg

This is "Pasca" a special bread filled with a mix of cottage cheese, cooked rice and raisins. In a traditional way the dough is crafted into a cross on top of the filling.

63181419O852567033.jpg

Dyed eggs:

62223757O944810988.jpg

Edited by MamaC (log)

I've never put saffron into Kulich, or any other pastry come to think of it.  Any recommendation on how much I would need to add for one loafs worth? 

I sometimes put saffron in my raisin bread. For one normal-sized loaf, a pinch of saffron (1/8-1/4 tsp) does the job. Remember that you need to let the saffron steep in a bit of hot liquid first, and then add the liquid and the saffron to the dough.

Cutting the lemon/the knife/leaves a little cathedral:/alcoves unguessed by the eye/that open acidulous glass/to the light; topazes/riding the droplets,/altars,/aromatic facades. - Ode to a Lemon, Pablo Neruda

MamaC, the walnut bread is gorgeous, as is the pasca. The filling sounds delicious! I love the yeast dough pastries with tvorog (somewhat similar to cottage cheese), and raisins are often added, but I never heard of also adding rice! Do you have the picture of the cut piece to see what it looks like inside?

lexy

Thank you for explaining how to add saffron correctly! I just added the crushed threads to the liquid ingredients of the dough.

Actually, I am still learning about the Easter traditions for baking. My mom hates to cook, and she would basically bake once a year, for Easter. Her kulichi (pl. from kulich) were very basic, just enough to observe the tradition, I suppose :smile:. For example, a lot of times people would sprinkle the white glazed tops with colorful sprikles, but she never did. To me, kulichi always seemed kind of boring and dry. What I did like, and still do, is other yeast pastry that mom baked for Easter: different rolls filled with raisins, sugar, nuts, or tvorog. She's normally bake a bucketful - I'm not kidding, we'd keep them in a real bucket, covered with a lid, and eat them the entire week. And then we'd toast in the oven what was left over and continue eating :smile:.

Here is my take on my mom's pastries:

BulkiDcopye-vi.jpg

Dyed eggs:

62223757O944810988.jpg

Beautiful photos, MamaC. Thanks for sharing.

I love the eggs decorated with little pieces of plants or flowers. Coincidentally, I was just reading about making these in one of my cookbooks. Here is their approach: Taka a small piece of fern, etc. Wet the plant and stick it to the egg. Carefully, without disturbing any plants stuck on the egg, place the egg within the toe of an old nylon stocking. After the egg is situated in the stocking, carefully tie off the stocking so that the egg is wrapped snuggly within the stocking. Dye the eggs, remove stocking and decorations.

Does this work? Is this your trick for decorating the eggs in this fashion as well?

For a centerpiece this year I was thinking of dying some eggs with natural dyes and I thnk the plant decorations would be really beautiful. Thank you!

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

Well, I'm inspired here to add my little contribution. But first let me say those breads and pastries look and surely smell amazing!! Just beautiful.

And the eggs are stunning!

Mine is not a nationwide tradition or anything like that so on that score I'm truly out done before I start. But nonetheless it's a cool idea and it's just a little thing I do.

Let's see if I can get the picture gods to cooperate...aghh, no, you have to click on the link instead.

This one is actually the beginning of a tutorial on how to make them--you would need to continue scrolling to view it.

And this is a little ocean of them.

How does one eat this? Do you remove the egg before eating the pastry, or do you cut right in and then pick out bits of eggshell?

Filipe---And I cannot wait to find out how you eat that Portugese loaf with the boiled egg in it!!! I've always wondered!!! What do you do with the shells???

Edited by K8memphis (log)

K8memphis

Those are way too cute! :smile:

ludja

The method really works. We used cut off a panyhose leg, put an egg with a leaf stuck to it insde (at this time of year small pretty leaves just begin to appear on the black currant bushes); twist; put the next egg in, etc. In the end you get a long string of eggs :smile:.

Does anyone know of any French traditions? I'm familiar with some traditional French pastries and cakes from other parts of the liturgical calendar but have never heard of any French Easter baked goods.

Mexico? Other parts of Latin America? The Philippines? Spain?

I mentioned in the previous thread that my own Austrian tradition passed down in my family is to make a “Susses Milchbrot” or “Sweet Milk Bread” (flavored with lemon zest and raisins) in the shape of a round loaf or braid. (Now that I’m armed and dangerous with a digital camera I should take a photo this year.).

During the course of my reading, I’ve learned about another Austrian Easter bread called “Osterpinze”. I think the bread is similar in many ways to the other loaf (rich bread with butter, eggs and milk and flavored with lemon and/or orange) that I make above although it is apparently sometimes also flavored with anise and is often baked as buns, in a distinctive shape. click

I found a recipe in English for Osterpinzer Austrian Easter Buns here .

Edited by ludja (log)

MamaC, the walnut bread is gorgeous, as is the pasca. The filling sounds delicious! I love the yeast dough pastries with tvorog (somewhat similar to cottage cheese), and raisins are often added, but I never heard of also adding rice! Do you have the picture of the cut piece to see what it looks like inside?

Alinka, it must be a regional custom (can I guess Oltenia?), I grew up in Bucharest and we make the pasca without rice - and never heard of it either. Also the shape is more like filipe's Folar, round with a nest-like grilled top and the cheese we use is farmer's cheese.

The regional differences in Romania are sometimes astonishing. :smile:

The human mouth is called a pie hole. The human being is called a couch potato... They drive the food, they wear the food... That keeps the food hot, that keeps the food cold. That is the altar where they worship the food, that's what they eat when they've eaten too much food, that gets rid of the guilt triggered by eating more food. Food, food, food... Over the Hedge

Thank you all for your kind words.

I am sorry to tell you that I don't have a section... pictures were taken a while ago. This coming Easter... I am on baking spree again and I will have some new pictures.

I could make one ahead just to show and if you are interested I could share the recipe.

The custom is Moldavian. As long as I remember old folks made the Pasca with rice and cheese. I grew up with this pastry and for me is a treasure.

Other parts of Romania, in Transylvania the walnut pastry is made flat… they don’t like to raise the dough, and the filling is used in large amounts. Also use a type of filling made of a lot of poppy seed.

I once had a slice of that pastry and went to sleep immediately. It is a very nice flavor but if you are not accustomed to it, would feel rather strange.

As for the egg, usually is removed before the pastry is cut.

Easter night in Moldavia:

People are fasting in Romania for 40 days, until the night of Easter. That period of time you cannot eat any animal product.

Customary… you cannot have the bread until the night of the light, when people are coming back from the church with the lit candle in their hand. The view is magical, the street is a sea of lights and if the flame from your candle goes out, you have to take it from someone else, you cannot lit it from a match or lighter. From that night to 40 days ahead in your house, the flame must never dye, if it does… you run to the neighbor and get it.

That night the family enjoy a feast… traditionally lamb is served. But before sitting at the table, is the washing ritual, a big bowl with holly water in which were placed as many eggs as the number of the family members. Of course washing is just symbolic; moist your fingers make the sign of the cross and then choose your egg.

At this point you crack the eggs… lets say I have an egg, you have an egg. I keep mine still while you prepare to tap mine. But before that you say… “Jesus has risen” I say “Is true has risen” then you hit my egg. The custom says… if one member of the family ends up with a whole egg… then his or hers sins are forgiven.

Edited by MamaC (log)

Hello I just joined the forum and I am really glad to have found you guys :biggrin: .

I am form Italy ( Rome ), but I live in Colorado , I have been here for almost 3 years.

In my family we make Pastiera every year , even we arent form Naples , my mother is from that area , and we used to have a restaurant and that was one of our speciality. I havent attempt to make it this year , I have hard time to find a quality ricotta here where i live, and I have to say that I think my oven isnt working porperly , last time I tryed to make torta Delizia ( wich is another italian speciality cake with almond paste), it didnt came the way its supposed to be, but I cant afford another oven now so I might just keep on chocolate making :raz:

Anyway the important thing for the Pastiera its the aromas you put in it and the ricotta of course.We use ricotta form sheep milk , has more a savory taste and its much better for cakes .Another thing you gotta to have the orange flower water , it isnt a Pastiera without that!We use cinnamom oil instead the powder because it leaves the mix nice and clear , while the powder makes it "dirty".

Well I hope I can manage to make one and win over my oven and maybe post a pic.

Nice to be here and I hope to be usefull as much as your posts have been for me in the past 2 weeks :smile:

Vanessa

Beautiful photos, MamaC.  Thanks for sharing.

I love the eggs decorated with little pieces of plants or flowers.  Coincidentally, I was just reading about making these in one of my cookbooks.  Here is their approach:  Taka a small piece of fern, etc.  Wet the plant and stick it to the egg.  Carefully, without disturbing any plants stuck on the egg, place the egg within the toe of an old nylon stocking.  After the egg is situated in the stocking, carefully tie off the stocking so that the egg is wrapped snuggly within the stocking.  Dye the eggs, remove stocking and decorations.

Does this work?  Is this your trick for decorating the eggs in this fashion as well? 

For a centerpiece this year I was thinking of dying some eggs with natural dyes and I thnk the plant decorations would be really beautiful.  Thank you!

Thank you ludja,

Yes that is the method, but used the whole leg from the stockings, wraping 5-6 eggs on one. I used KoolAid to dye the eggs in the picture above.

Hello I just joined the forum and I am really glad to have found you guys  :biggrin: .

I am form Italy ( Rome ), but I live in Colorado , I have been here for almost 3 years.

In my family we make Pastiera every year , even we arent form Naples , my mother is from that area , and we used to have a restaurant and that was one of our speciality. I havent attempt to make it  this year , I have hard time to find a quality ricotta here where i live, and I have to say that I think my oven isnt working porperly , last time I tryed to make torta Delizia ( wich is another italian speciality cake with almond paste), it didnt came the way its supposed to be, but I cant afford another oven now so I might just keep on chocolate making  :raz:

Anyway the important thing for the Pastiera its the aromas you put in it and the ricotta of course.We use ricotta form sheep milk , has more a savory taste and its much better for cakes .Another thing  you gotta to have the orange flower water , it isnt a Pastiera without that!We use cinnamom oil instead the powder because it leaves the mix nice and clear , while the powder makes it  "dirty".

Nice to be here and I hope to be usefull as much as your posts have been for me in the past 2 weeks  :smile:

Welcome to eGullet Desiderio. Do you have a recipe for Torta Delizia?

Thank you ludja,

Yes that is the method, but used the whole leg from the stockings, wraping 5-6 eggs on one. I used KoolAid to dye the eggs in the picture above.

I think I used 3 pockets of KoolAid for 4 cups of water and 2 Tablespoons of vinegar.

Chose the eggs with unmarked shells... if you look closely some eggs have a mark that looks like cracks. Don't use them; they are more likely to burst while boiling.

Wash well in warm water with couple of drops of dish soap... rinse very well.

Dry with paper towels. Prepare the eggs as you desire.

Bring the dye to a boil, when you are ready to place the eggs in it... pour little cold water to stop boiling. Immediately add eggs and boil on medium heat for 5 minutes.

Remove from pot and while still hot and wet ... remove the hose and the leaves. Take some lard and smear on a soft cloth (not paper towel) and cover the egg with a thin coat... it will make it shine.

That should do the trick.

Thank you for the great instructions, MamaC. (Kool Aid is a great idea for coloring and funny to think of another staining use than childrens's clothes and mouths...)

When I was looking for some additional recipes for Osterpinze I found this site that has a great listing of different traditional Easter breads and recipes from around the world: click

Hello I just joined the forum and I am really glad to have found you guys  :biggrin: .

In my family we make Pastiera every year , even we arent form Naples , my mother is from that area , and we used to have a restaurant and that was one of our speciality. I havent attempt to make it  this year , I have hard time to find a quality ricotta here where i live, and I have to say that I think my oven isnt working porperly , last time I tryed to make torta Delizia ( wich is another italian speciality cake with almond paste), it didnt came the way its supposed to be, but I cant afford another oven now so I might just keep on chocolate making  :raz:

Anyway the important thing for the Pastiera its the aromas you put in it and the ricotta of course.We use ricotta form sheep milk , has more a savory taste and its much better for cakes .Another thing  you gotta to have the orange flower water , it isnt a Pastiera without that!We use cinnamom oil instead the powder because it leaves the mix nice and clear , while the powder makes it  "dirty".

Nice to be here and I hope to be usefull as much as your posts have been for me in the past 2 weeks  :smile:

Welcome to eGullet Desiderio. Do you have a recipe for Torta Delizia?

Sorry took me long to answer buisy buisy in chocolate season :wacko: .Sure I have the recipe and I will try to translate it and convert the doses ( are for bakeries doses so for a huge amout of cakes ).Probably after Easter I will have 5 minuts to relaz and go back to my baking , and post the recipe and maybe a pic .

Vanessa

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, someone requested this recipe, I'll post it here, is more related to this thread.

Cozonac

This is a traditional Romanian Holiday Sweet Bread; there is no holiday without it, you feel free to make it whenever you like. There is difference in taste from region to region. The recipe below has it’s provenience in Moldova (RO) and is known as the best in the country. This bread also can be filled with different fillings. If you know the way of making bread you should not have trouble making this either. Once made, you’ll be hooked on this recipe. Also makes a great gift. All my American friends love this and they also ask for it. No need to knead by hand, use a Kitchen Aid or bread machine. I use mine.

Also all the ingredients should have room temperature before starting. Butter should be solid not melted.

Ingredients:

8 (950gr to 1 Kg) cups of flour

8 egg yolks

1 cup (200 gr.) sugar

16 oz (500 ml) milk at room temperature

1 stick (110g) butter

lemon and orange rind, vanilla

2 teaspoons dry yeast

pinch of salt.

Filling:

4 egg whites

4 Tablespoons cocoa

4-6 Tablespoons sugar

4-6 Tablespoons grounded walnuts or any of the kind

1/2 teaspoon of rum essence

Toppings:

1 beaten egg, sugar

First you need to make sure the flour and the yeast is good. That’s why you need to make what they call “maia”- starter. Take half the milk add ½ cup flour mixed with the yeast … mix to form a thick cream. Cover with a towel and place in a warm place for 10 minute. It should be very bubbly and double the volume. This way we know the yeast and the flour you are about to use is good. If it doesn’t look as above described then the flour or the yeast is not good. Do not proceed; you need to try again with fresher ingredients.

In a large bowl mix together the remaining milk warmed in MO to lukewarm, sugar, 8 egg yolks, lemon and orange rind (about 1 teaspoon), salt and vanilla and mix very well. Add to this mixture the starter, and mix. Add flour little at the time. The dough should not stick to your hand or the bowl, and needs to have the consistency of very silky dough, if is too stubborn to touch add a little liquid at a time, if it should be too sticky then add flour little at the time. When you have succeeded, knead the dough (about 20 min.) when little bubbles appears in the dough. Now is the time to add the butter little at the time. Some people add to the dough raisins (I don’t).

Brush the dough with butter or spray with water, cover with a towel and let rise in a warm place until double the size (1 hour).

Meanwhile, butter (any or) 4 tube pans. You should get 4 loaves out of this quantity.

Prepare the filling: beat the egg whites with sugar to stiff, gently add cacao, rum essence and enough ground walnuts to a thick consistency but easy to spread.

On a wooden board, brush with butter and place the dough, cut in 8 equal pieces. Out of each, very gently with your fingertips form a rectangular. Spread walnut mixture on ¾ of the surface, roll. Make another roll. Braid the rolls together as a rope. Tuck the ends under the loaf and place it in the prepared pan. Repeat operation with the remaining dough.

When all are set, sprinkle with water (I do this couple of times), cover with a clean cloth and place to a warm place to rise about 30-40 minutes. When they’ve reached the top of the pan they should be ready to bake.

Preheat oven to 180°C (350°F).

Brush with beaten eggs and sprinkle with sugar, not too little not too much. Bake in the preheated conventional oven for 45 minutes.

Extra ideas for fillings:

Cream cheese mixed with sugar to taste, 1 egg yolk and vanilla. 4 tablespoons of thick cranberry sauce per loaf.

Raisins soaked in rum and squeezed dry, sugar and cinnamon.

Any dry fruits also soaked in liquor and squeezed dry.

Do not use any runny or very wet fillings with this dough.

Well, enjoy and good luck.