• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Understanding Berasategui

Well, I figured I should come to the experts to find out some missing details in a piece I am writing about the chef. Here's what I haven't yet figured out:

- When did his mother Gabriela and aunt Maria let him take over the family-owned El Bodegon Alejandro? Was the Michelin star, awarded in 1986, all his doing? And how rustic, exactly, is the food they serve?

- He apparently did a stage at Ducasse's Louis XV in Monaco in 88, and opened his own restaurant, Martin Berasategui, only in 93, twenty years after starting to learn cooking. So is it safe to assume that until 93 he was essentially the one in charge of the Bodegon? When did his mother and aunt retire?

- What, exactly, is his involvement in Andoni's Mugaritz restaurant? Is he part-owner, or merely a mentor?

- Very little is said or written about his other San Sebastian restaurant, Kursaal, located at the Palacio de Congresos. How come?

Pedro et al, can you help?

thanks so much!

Edited by AlexForbes (log)

Alexandra Forbes

Brazilian food and travel writer, @aleforbes on Twitter

Official Website

martin has released books on both the kursaal and gugenheim. he also has a consultancy at another place in donostia and now has a hotel restaurant in barcelona. i dont think he has anything anymorwe to do with mugaritz but i think he originally set it up and andoni who was his head chef moved there and made his own name.

The Barcelonian restaurant is called Lasarte at the Condes de Barcelona Hotel.

If you take a look at the Website with all his basque restaurants.

Here is a Gastronomic Biography (in spanish I'm afraid) where some of your questions are answered. And also this article and his books, specially La Joven Cocina Vasca.

Rogelio Enríquez aka "Rogelio"

Thanks very much for all this! I also managed to find out more through his P.R. people and thought I'd share it here:

- he IS part-owner of Mugaritz, as I had suspected, a "silent" partner, as it were

- "Desde enero de 2006, Martín Berasategui ofrece un asesoramiento gastronómico al Hotel Condes de Barcelona en el restaurante “Lasarte”." - which means he does not own it.

- He officially took over the Bodegon Alejandro in 1981 (and got a Michelin star in 86).

Alexandra Forbes

Official Website

So Alex,

What do you think about his food?? An inquiring mind would like to know.

Well, I only ate at MB once, but I was completely wowed by the extremely knowledgeable staff, the beautiful setting and above all the sophistication of preparations and presentatiions, everything ever so light and carefully studied, quite a spectacle. I'd say one of the top 5 meals of my life, really.

Alexandra Forbes

Official Website

MB came to eat at Michel Bras(where he sends chefs to stage each year) & unlike many well known toques took the time to introduce himself & shake hands with all the staff- nice touch. I enjoyed my time in Donostia & had excellent lunches at Kursaal & a meal at MB in Lasarte that was punctuated with brilliant touches.

cheers sean