• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Wine Pairing with Cajun Food

a10er

Hi there,

We're doing a event and we've been asked to come up with some general suggestions for wines that match cajun cuisine. I undestand that the menu will be crab cakes, gumbo (veggie and not) and the like.

any suggestions? French wines? Region?

Thanks

Cajun food is a tough wine match, especially if the chef uses a really hot hand. Cold beer is the ticket then!

For spicy foods, I like white wines from the Alsace region of France. Nice examples are available for $10 - $15 from producers like Pierre Sparr, Trimbach, and Willm.

There are some nice Rhone reds that have a spicy, peppery taste to them. Ask your local wine merchant to recommend some.

I did a Cajun/Creole event for the Chaine des Rotisseurs a few years back. We began with Ramos Gin Fizzes. Wines included a Riesling and a Chateauneuf-du-Pape as well as Champagne

I'd recommend some Australian Clare Valley Rieslings "lovely lime flavours", rich Alsatian Gewuztraminer, Spanish Cava, and if your want reds go with those with low tannin levels (Beaujolais, South African Pinotage, Southern Spanish reds) and of course refreshing beer especially India Pale Ale.

Cheers,

Stephen Bonner

Vancouver

Edited by SBonner (log)

"who needs a wine list when you can get pissed on dessert" Gordon Ramsey Kitchen Nightmares 2005

MY BLOG

and if your want reds go with those with low tannin levels (Beaujolais, South African Pinotage, Southern Spainish reds)

And I would add low alcohol levels in red or white as well. A big fat 15% Zinfandel will set your mouth on fire with any type of spicy seasoning.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

and if your want reds go with those with low tannin levels (Beaujolais, South African Pinotage, Southern Spainish reds)

And I would add low alcohol levels in red or white as well. A big fat 15% Zinfandel will set your mouth on fire with any type of spicy seasoning.

Katie,

Good point! spice and higher alcohols = bad match. I guess I should say Spanish reds with low tannins and lower alcohols. Thank you :smile:

Cheers,

Stephen

Edited by SBonner (log)

"who needs a wine list when you can get pissed on dessert" Gordon Ramsey Kitchen Nightmares 2005

MY BLOG

Hi there,

We're doing a event and we've been asked to come up with some general suggestions for wines that match cajun cuisine.  I undestand that the menu will be crab cakes, gumbo (veggie and not) and the like. 

any suggestions?  French wines? Region?

Thanks

I really like the Gewurtz, light spanish reds, sauvignon blanc, and BEER. You know, sangria might work.

Cooking is chemistry, baking is alchemy.

To repeat what you've seen in the previous replies:

Beer, Champagne, Riesling and a good fruity low tannin red such as Beaujolais.

For beer, if it's available, try Leffe Blond from Belgium. It's ever so slightly off-dry with delicate hints of spice such as cloves. An off dry Champage/sparkling wine would also match well with the Cajun food. Being in Toronto we have access to a wonderful sparkling wine called...are you ready?...Cristalle, from Pellar Estates! Despite the almost blasphemous name it is remarkably good. Instead of the regular dosage at the end stages of production they add ice wine! That gentle touch of sweetness makes for a wine that is an ideal match with spicy foods.

Edited by adrian1 (log)

Thanks for all the help. We're definitely looking for reds if you have any other suggestions. I also think that we won’t be aiming for too spicy. It’s DC after all and the only spice people like here is in their politics.

A bit late to the thread, but the main things you want are low alcohol (already mentioned), acid, and some sugar. This is why you see recommendations for riesling and Champagne. If it has to be red, try and scare up a Freisa from Piedmont.

Of course, I'd ignore the wine altogether and serve beer.

We cannot employ the mind to advantage when we are filled with excessive food and drink - Cicero