• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Green Peppercorns / Poivre Vert

bleudauvergne

IMG_9220.JPG

I would love to talk about green peppercorns, they are so delicious and I am dreaming up all kinds of uses for them. Rabbit, beef, terrines, dips sauces, spreads, accompaniments, garnishes for drinks, etc. Does anyone have any recipes that will put green peppercorns in the spotlight or even give them a supporting role?

Most recipes are for sauces that include green peppercorns, for example a green peppercorn and roquefort sauce for beef, or in a reduction over sliced duck breast. I think they would be really good in a basic braised rabbit dish, and since pepper and goat cheese are so wonderful together there are a lot of combinations I can think of where I can combine them.

There's an EXCELLENT south Indian pickle that has

green peppercorns (on the stem) along with pieces

of lemon....

Might go well as a relish with any other type of cuisine too.

Mmm, that sounds delicious. What is the name of it? Can I find it in a jar somewhere or should I make it at home?

Lucy - have you compared the fresh green peppercorns that are widely avalible now with the more traditional (in Europe) brined version?

I have only had the brined version, in salt water. Tell me Adam, how do they differ? Should I go out and get some?

Lucy, the Beef Tenderloin appetizer I make is rolled in crushed brined green peppers before searing. That's about the only time I use them I think!

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

Tell me Adam, how do they differ?  Should I go out and get some?

They have more fresh green flavours and I find them to be much hotter. If you have any SE-Asian stores near you they should have some. I haven't used them in European cooking, but I would be interested in finding out how they work.

You can see them here on the right of this image.

gallery_1643_1586_144989.jpg

Edited by Adam Balic (log)

In La Technique, Pepin uses them as a finishing spread for gravalax. Four tablespoons of canned green peppercorns, and 1/2 cup chopped fresh herbs, chervil, tarragon and thyme mixed together. The mix is spread on both sides of the cured filets, and the filets are put under weights and refrigerated for another 12 to 24 hours.

Jim

I suppose the brining process tones them down a bit, which can have its virtues especially when including them in things like goat cheese souffles, however I am eager to get out and get some of the fresh ones now that Adam has mentioned them, to do some testing.

Wow it sounds like a great way to treat a fish, hmm, marinades of all kinds are flooding my mind.. Does he mention brined or fresh? I understand they also come dehydrated but still green. Anyone have favorites?

The first time I ever tried steak au poivre it was done with a green peppercorn sauce and that style remains my favorite. I don't recall the specifics (it was done in a restaurant where I worked at the time but this was long ago.

if I recall correctly they deglazed the pan with a demi-glace, reduced it quickly, threw in the peppercorns, mashed them slightly, tossed back in the steak and then flambeed with cognac for a moment before serving. I think. But I do recall how tasty it was!

There's an EXCELLENT south Indian pickle that has

green peppercorns (on the stem) along with pieces

of lemon....

Might go well as a relish with any other type of cuisine too.

Mmm, that sounds delicious. What is the name of it? Can I find it in a jar somewhere or should I make it at home?

Lucy - have you compared the fresh green peppercorns that are widely avalible now with the more traditional (in Europe) brined version?

I have only had the brined version, in salt water. Tell me Adam, how do they differ? Should I go out and get some?

Hi Bleu:

There is a recipe in a book by Mallika Badrinath, who is a noted

South Indian cookbook author.

Source: http://www.innoconcepts.com/mallika.htm

Only: you may need to be a little familiar with Indian English

and Indian English cooking terminology - but we can help with that :)

Her recipe includes mango ginger and sounds even more sublime

than the plain green peppercorn + lemon one.

It shouldn't be hard to make: green peppercorns on stem +lemons

+ mango ginger (again in Indian stores) + saltwater +

spices such as hing, red chili powder, and I think fenugreek.

Like many Indian pickles it's rather salty and VERY tart,

so best used sparingly.

I think it will be great used to make other dishes,

(e.g. anything au poivre, will get a huge flavor punch by using

the pickled green peppers sparingly instead of regular ones;

marinades similarly enhanced by using all the ingredients

and the yummy 'juice' in the bottle, etc. If you wanted to

add herbs I'd stick with cilantro and mint and basil, but

obviously not the Euro herbs like thyme etc)

You *can* find it in a bottle in an Indian store (Ashoka is one brand,

Palat another), but it's not common at all. I got lucky last year

and snagged my store's last two bottles.

Milagai

I've been using Green Peppercorns in a demi-glace with Filet Mignons, sometimes for variety, I'll also add heavy cream to the sauce too. Read once where they suggested you crunch the peppercorns while they are in the cream. I tried that a couple of times but the cream tends to splatter all out the dish~!

Recently tried Minor's Green Peppercorn Sauce Concentrate

which is available from soup.com or through Amazon.com. It's basically a beef demi-glace concentrate with fresh green peppercorns in it.

doc

Read once where they suggested you crunch the peppercorns while they are in the cream.  I tried that a couple of times but the cream tends to splatter all out the dish~!

I recall seeing them smushed with the back of a woooden spoon whiel they were in the demi-glace - before the cream was added. But whatever prepared form of green peppercorns they were using were fairly soft (I think these were the type that were purchased bottled in liquid and they lacked the crunch of dried green peppercorns - these were a bit denser than bottled capers but by no means hard).

Wow, interesting about the fresh green peppercorns. I've never heard of their use before. With your mention of SE Asian groceries, Adam, I guess they are used in Thai cuisine among others? (Thanks for the photo.)

In one of my Thai cookbooks that has some fusion recipes, there is a dessert recipe that uses tropical fruits (rambutan, logan and mango), brine-cured green peppercorns and fresh cilantro. Sounds like an interesting combination.

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"