• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Brooklyn restaurant week

chefboy24

any worth going to?

i have thursday and sunday off, thinkin about checkin out some restaurants.

http://www.brooklyn-usa.org/Pages/RSC/dinein.htm#BHill

full list

i would prefer to stay in park slope/carroll gardens/cobble hill/bourem hill

or something on the F train

i'm thinking about:

jolie (the manager was rocco's @ union pacific, correct?)

taku (familiar with the menu as a buddy of mine cooks there)

applewood

blue ribbon

iCi (in fort greene) is where laurent (of "the restaurant") works.

Blue Ribbon is a must.

Applewood is also great.

try Sette Enoteca. the chef (amanda freitag) used to work under tom valenti at 'cesca.

Heard great things about Alma.

Don't know much, but wonder about Crave in Carroll Gardens.

A fave of mine, but doesn't really fit in "dine-in" week, is Chip Shop, for fried fried fried.

Michael Harlan Turkell, PHOTOGRAPHER

"BACK OF THE HOUSE" Project, www.harlanturk.com , PLOG: harlanturk.blogspot.com

I would say sticking to the Park Slope list, the ones you should try to hit are:

Applewood

Rosewater

Blue Ribbon

Tempo.

All are excellent, and would be and considering the reduced price an awesome value.

John Deragon

foodblog 1 / 2

--

I feel sorry for people that don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day -- Dean Martin

I'd suggest Blue Ribbon sushi - really good. Oddly, I've never eaten at Blue Ribbon itself - I've had several people, completely independently, tell me that the food there just isn't worth the price tag. Can't confirm it, but having that same unsolicited sentiment come from a number of independent sources tells me something. Al di La is good (go early, if you ever hope to get a seat!). Drinks at Long Tan are fun. Just wander up Fifth Avenue, see what appeals.

A friend and I ate at ici last night for the Restaurant Week deal. Absolutely wonderful and such a bargain.

All the food was great, and the service was competent and friendly. Check it out.

JR

Probably a bit under the radar if you're not in the neighborhood but we had a good dinner last night at Olea on Lafayette Avenue (Fort Greene, near the Clinton Hill border). Along with Ici this is one of the best restaurants in the nabe IMHO. Mediterranean food, big flavors.

i think i might do applewood tomorrow night and maybe ici sunday night?

If you do applewood, and you see any form of their pork belly preperations on the menu definatley order that. It is always amazing. Ditto with his sweetbreads.

John Deragon

foodblog 1 / 2

--

I feel sorry for people that don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day -- Dean Martin

At Chip Shop it is a great value. The fried macaroni is a disappointment, but I've always wanted to try it. The fish fingers are slightly smaller than the normal portion - otherwsie everything is the same. If ordered separately, you'd easily spend $20 pp. The spotted dick was a bit dry this past time, but the berry soup with cream is as good as always...

Don't know much, but wonder about Crave in Carroll Gardens.

Crave is a really neat place, I can't recommend it enough. I'm surprised there isn't a lengthy Eg thread on it already. I just wish they were open Sundays.

I have tried to go to both applewood and chestnut during restaurant week before and have not been able to get reservations. In addition, I would suggest that restaurant week is NOT the time to try Blue Ribbon. They do not take reservations for parties under 6 people and there is always a wait. I did go there for restaurant week about 2 years ago and wound up waiting about 2 hours for a table. Once we got a table we had a great time, but we didn't even order off the prix fixe menu because the choices were not that appealing (ie only one choice of dessert). As far as I can tell the waiting situation is just as bad a Blue Ribbon Sushi which is next door. Sorry I can't be more helpful on which places you should go.

I have tried to go to both applewood and chestnut during restaurant week before and have not been able to get reservations. In addition, I would suggest that restaurant week is NOT the time to try Blue Ribbon. They do not take reservations for parties under 6 people and there is always a wait. I did go there for restaurant week about 2 years ago and wound up waiting about 2 hours for a table. Once we got a table we had a great time, but we didn't even order off the prix fixe menu because the choices were not that appealing (ie only one choice of dessert). As far as I can tell the waiting situation is just as bad a Blue Ribbon Sushi which is next door. Sorry I can't be more helpful on which places you should go.

Can't speak for this year but RW at BR Sushi was great last year and they usually take your cell # so you can piss off and have a drink while waiting for a table

MJR

�As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy, and to make plans.� - Ernest Hemingway, in �A Moveable Feast�

Brooklyn, NY, USA

I've never had a problem getting into BR sushi, though I tend to go earlier rather than later - maybe it makes a difference. The staff there are very nice. Love everything I've ordered there.

I do enjoy Chip Shop too. Satisfying Brit comfort food.