• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

And I've never eaten there, but Number One at the Balmoral (or is it Scotsman?) hotel is supposed to be excellent.

Number One is excellent. I had lunch there on a typical Edinboro day (windy and freezing!) last summer and the food was top notch and the whiskey out of this world. So good I nearly missed my train trying to find a bottle of what I'd just drunk! Oh, and the plate of petits fours we got was the biggest I've ever seen - did manage to finish it though!

you are all wrong. If doing scotland it has to be deep fried pizza followed by deep fried mars bar. It may not be haute but I'm sure you'll remember the experience for the rest of your life (which may fairly short as your arteries stiffen while you eat)

My girlfriend was studying in Edinburgh for a year which gave me the opportunity to discover some of the excellent(and terrible) restaurants there.

After having lived near Paris for fourteen years, I was a little worried when I saw that there were only two Michelin star restaurants. We didn't go to Martin Wishart as my girlfriend is not a big fish/seafood fan(unfortunately as I have heard very positive things).

Number One is, indeed, excellent and I would go back there at the drop of a hat. I sometimes get the impression that starred restaurants outside of France really have to go the extra mile to attain "stardom", unlike here where many places take it for granted.

I loved also the Witchery: fantastic steak tartare with quails eggs, amazing roasted mushrooms - great traditional fare.

I plan to go back very soon for a weekend, so if there are any other top class restaurants(or horrible restaurants with astounding cuisine!).....

Food glorious food, nothing quite like it...

My girlfriend was studying in Edinburgh for a year which gave me the opportunity to discover some of the excellent(and terrible) restaurants there.

After having lived near Paris for fourteen years, I was a little worried when I saw that there were only two Michelin star restaurants. We didn't go to Martin Wishart as my girlfriend is not a big fish/seafood fan(unfortunately as I have heard very positive things).

Number One is, indeed, excellent and I would go back there at the drop of a hat. I sometimes get the impression that starred restaurants outside of France really have to go the extra mile to attain "stardom", unlike here where many places take it for granted.

I loved also the Witchery: fantastic steak tartare with quails eggs, amazing roasted mushrooms - great traditional fare.

I plan to go back very soon for a weekend, so if there are any other top class restaurants(or horrible restaurants with astounding cuisine!).....

Thank you for your advice ! Please do not hesitate to give me more addresses even of middle top class, lower top class, horrible restaurants, as long as the cuisine IS astounding !!