• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

I am celebrating a very special birthday this year and am treating myself and a member of my family with 5 very special dinners during 2006: Michel Bras in Laguiole, Philippe Rochat in Crissier, Agata e Romeo in Rome (special request from my daughter), El Bulli in Rosas. One dinner is still missing on my list and I thought that PERHAPS it could take place in Scotland where we shall spend our summer holiday, does anyone have any suggestions please or does this sound foolish ?

I'm always available for adoption!!

http://www.allium.uk.net

http://alliumfood.wordpress.com/ the alliumfood blog

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming - Whey hey what a ride!!!, "

Sarah Poli, Firenze, Kibworth Beauchamp

Not sure it's quite in the same calibre, but what about the Three Chimneys on Skye?

I second The Three Chimneys on Skye. Haven't had a chance to eat there myself yet, but as I'm contemplating moving back home to Estonia after seven years in Edinburgh, this restaurant is definitely on the top of my things-to-do-before-I-leave list.

Agreed that the 3 Chimneys is a wonderful place on a beautiful island. However, if you weren't planning on going so far (the 3 chimneys is pretty remote) then I would also recommend Andrew Fairlie at Gleneagles - great cooking (second star this year and the only two-starred kitchen in Scotland), central location and also a good place to stay to build up to and recover from the food.

Blimey.

As a former Scottish tourism bod, I can confidently say that Scotland has nothing in that kind of bracket. The closest is probably Andrew Fairlie at the Gleneagles hotel ( http://www.gleneagles.com/defaultpage131cd0.aspx?pageID=117 ). But frankly, only a bampot would come to Scotland in order to eat French haut. It may therefore be the ideal trip to give the foams and emulsions a rest.

If you're after a travel adventure, then I can second the recommendation of Three Chimneys. However, the best meal you'll get will most likely be in the Western Isles, on a fishing boat, eating just-caught langoustine that have been boiled on deck in a tin kettle.

Blimey.

As a former Scottish tourism bod, I can confidently say that Scotland has nothing in that kind of bracket. The closest is probably Andrew Fairlie at the Gleneagles hotel ( http://www.gleneagles.com/defaultpage131cd0.aspx?pageID=117 ). But frankly, only a bampot would come to Scotland in order to eat French haut. It may therefore be the ideal trip to give the foams and emulsions a rest.

If you're after a travel adventure, then I can second the recommendation of Three Chimneys. However, the best meal you'll get will most likely be in the Western Isles, on a fishing boat, eating just-caught langoustine that have been boiled on deck in a tin kettle.

A million thank yous for your message ! Actually we shall be staying on Isle of Ulva for a while and I'll try by all means to have one of these fishermens' banquet !!

I would suggest Martin Wishart in Edinburgh, there are those that prefer his cooking over Andrew Fairlie (he has one Michelin star)

Two things,

DO have the tasting menu and don't eat for a long while in advance so you can include the cheese trolley (more than 20 cheeses to try) and

Have the violet liqueur champagne cocktail

The service is great, the staff lovely - enjoy http://www.martin-wishart.co.uk/entrance.html

You can then take a short walk and sample the Malts at the Scotch Whisky Society (I volunteer as the friendly member to sign you in!)

Danielle Ellis

Edinburgh Scotland

www.edinburghfoody.com

Scotland has special places to eat. I’m not sure that the high drama of the four already selected can be matched on quite the same terms, but for what it’s worth:

The Three Chimneys is a terrific restaurant. I have eaten there three or four times in the last five years, but (as already indicated) not really in the league of the other restaurants you are considering. It is, however, a pretty special sort of place and if you are in the area, it’s a lovely place to stay and eat.

Even more outstanding in terms of location and I’ll admit a complete surprise for the high quality of food was a recent stay at Ardanaiseig. The view from the dining room is the sunset across Loch Awe.

I’ll add, although it’s actually the opposite of what you’re probably looking for :biggrin: , my favourite place to eat in Scotland: The Old Pines. It’s home style cooking, impeccably sourced, always seasonal and prepared with a completely natural flair. If I called it a Scottish bistro I think you’d have the right idea.

I wish your celebration well. It sounds astonishing.

Oh, oh, go to the secret garden at the Witchery in Edinburgh. It is *just* magnificent. Wood panelled walls, candles. . . it's magic. I had the world's best sausage and mash there for my 20th birthday, though they do a whole load of fancier stuff too.

fish and chips at the bridge of allan, get em to go, and eat em sitting on the bench that overlooks the river allan. if you need some foam, i recommend foaming at the mouth....no, just kidding. the fish and chips are brill. required drink: irn bru.

och, bridge of allan is a braw wee toon, stay in the royal hotel where robert louis stevenson wrote something, there is a sign of all the famous people who stayed there.

clive ramsay's food shop and deli are delightful, and there are antiquarian book shops....in edinburgh i like the scotman's lounge, live music every night and you're almost guaranteed to see a kilt.

andrew fairlie of gleneagles, by the way, was a winner of the Roux scholarship in the early 80s, an excellent competition for young chefs that I am pleased to be a part of each year.

slainte,

marlena

but i'm thinking: i love scotland, husband is scots. i love the way the air smells and the way the people are funny and friendly. i love their accents. but i wouldn't go there for fine dining necessarily. drink whiskey. sail the sea. go to Eigg and watch the wild horses cavort over the beaches. and if you go, say hello to Scruff for me. only about 57 people live on the island. and the eiggmen are famous for their parties.

Marlena the spieler

www.marlenaspieler.com

I would second Marlena's suggestion of Andrew Fairlie@gleneagles. Despite the vitriolic review which Jan Moir gave him recently he is a superb chef and recently won his much-deserved second Michelin star. Kirsty Young reckons he is one of the best chefs in Scotland and as she is married to a hotelier, she must have pretty sound judgement - along with Michelin and most of the rest of the reviewers!

Also, Gleneagles is such a fabulous setting.....say no more.

While not as great as some of others here, there is a young chef named David MacClelland running the Craigie Inne a little outside Prestwick. Fab food, intimate setting, and the staff takes very good care of the guests. A little off the beaten path, but well worth the trip. (David trained at the Gleneagles) Tell him Patrick from the submarine sent you!

Edited by BubbleheadChef (log)

Oh, oh, go to the secret garden at the Witchery in Edinburgh. It is *just* magnificent. Wood panelled walls, candles. . . it's magic. I had the world's best sausage and mash there for my 20th birthday, though they do a whole load of fancier stuff too.

I'll second that.

It's been popular for a long time and might seem like too obvious a suggestion but the food and surroundings were bloody lovely

Tim Hayward

"Anyone who wants to write about food would do well to stay away from

similes and metaphors, because if you're not careful, expressions like

'light as a feather' make their way into your sentences and then where are you?"

Nora Ephron

This is a bit off topic, but could anyone tell me why recent posts I've seen elsewhere were very down on Agate e Romeo. It's been quite a few years since my last visit,  but we really enjoyed the food. Has it changed???

if you can wait until 1 June, I ll be able to give you my opinion !

Scotland has special places to eat. I’m not sure that the high drama of the four already selected can be matched on quite the same terms, but for what it’s worth:

The Three Chimneys is a terrific restaurant. I have eaten there three or four times in the last five years, but (as already indicated) not really in the league of the other restaurants you are considering. It is, however, a pretty special sort of place and if you are in the area, it’s a lovely place to stay and eat.

Even more outstanding in terms of location and I’ll admit a complete surprise for the high quality of food was a recent stay at Ardanaiseig. The view from the dining room is the sunset across Loch Awe.

I’ll add, although it’s actually the opposite of what you’re probably looking for :biggrin: , my favourite place to eat in Scotland: The Old Pines. It’s home style cooking, impeccably sourced, always seasonal and prepared with a completely natural flair. If I called it a Scottish bistro I think you’d have the right idea.

I wish your celebration well. It sounds astonishing.

Thank you ! Actually I was about to post another topic "recommendations for our summer holiday inScotland please" because OF COURSE we would also need to eat at least daily during our 3 weeks holiday !

andrew fairlie of gleneagles, by the way, was a winner of the Roux scholarship in the early 80s, an excellent competition for young chefs that I am pleased to be a part of each year.

In what way are you involved?

Allan Brown

"If you're a chef on a salary, there's usually a very good reason. Never, ever, work out your hourly rate."

While not as great as some of others here, there is a young chef named David MacClelland running the Craigie Inne a little outside Prestwick.  Fab food, intimate setting, and the staff takes very good care of the guests.  A little off the beaten path, but well worth the trip.  (David trained at the Gleneagles)  Tell him Patrick from the submarine sent  you!

Thank you Patrick from the submarine, would you have their contact details please ? I could not find them on the internet, not even on the Prestwick website

La Garrigue on Jeffrey Street in Edinburgh is another delightful place. Small, clean and light venue with top notch i suppose you'd call "rural"  food from the Languedoc region of France. Great, great wine list. Lots of reasonably priced gems.

I agree on La Garrigue. If you book, ask for a table at the front of the restaurant on the left hand side as you go in. There is an area on the right hand side which suffers a bit from being in the shadow of an enclosed lift shaft.

The food here is gutsy, honest and satisfying; and the people are absolutely lovely. Jan Moir may not have been too impressed with Fairlie at Gleneagles (if I remember correctly, it was the portrait of the chef that was the final straw for her), but she loved it here.

Thank you Patrick from the submarine, would you have their contact details please ? I could not find them on the internet, not even on the Prestwick website

here y'go. My parents lived in nearby Kilmarnock til a couple of years ago + we would go here for good (and enormous) but relaxed dinners at Christmastime. I think my cousin even waitressed here for a while. Don't eat for days before you go. It's a teeny weeny village about 20 mins from Prestwick.

http://www.craigieinn.com

Fi Kirkpatrick

tofu fi fie pho fum

"Your avatar shoes look like Marge Simpson's hair." - therese

here y'go. My parents lived in nearby Kilmarnock til a couple of years ago + we would go here for good (and enormous) but relaxed dinners at Christmastime. I think my cousin even waitressed here for a while. Don't eat for days before you go. It's a teeny weeny village about 20 mins from Prestwick.

http://www.craigieinn.com

well, if we should not eat for days before we go (as recommended in other suggestions) I think I'd rather re-do my holiday schedule and plan to stay a few more weeks in Scotland !!! (I suspect anyway that Scotland is the type of place which will be extremely difficult to leave)

I would suggest Martin Wishart in Edinburgh, there are those that prefer his cooking over Andrew Fairlie (he has one Michelin star) 

Two things,

DO have the tasting menu and don't eat for a long while in advance so you can include the cheese trolley (more than 20 cheeses to try) and

Have the violet liqueur champagne cocktail

The service is great, the staff lovely  - enjoy http://www.martin-wishart.co.uk/entrance.html

You can then take a short walk and sample the Malts at the Scotch Whisky Society (I volunteer as the friendly member to sign you in!)

Thank you for the suggestion which I will follow for sure !