• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Brownies, Chocolate Chip Cookies, and...

Kieranm

We are looking for suggestions for other sweet treats to serve in an ice cream shop/café. We make a range of cakes in addition to the ice cream but are looking for smaller, more nibble-like options.

Chocolate chip cookies and brownies have worked well for us, and we are having trouble thinking up other options that have as wide an appeal and a decent shelf life (at least a couple of days, so no fresh cream!).

Your input would be most appreciated!

“My advice to you is not to inquire why or whither, but just enjoy your ice cream while it's on your plate - that's my philosophy”

- Thornton Wilder

Shameless link to Kieranm's blog...

I'm very short on time right this minute, but we have MANY threads here that would be very helpful for you.

PamR's thread explored items she was looking for to keep in a similar case. Was it K8 or CandianBaking who had a BarMitzpah thread with tons of great recipes and ideas? How about Neils marshmellow thread.

If anyone has a moment would you please post some links to help out?

thanks

Thanks for suggestions and threads!

Single serving desserts like mini pies, flans, etc. (except the cookies and brownies) have never worked that well for us for some reason. I don't know why. Crepes work well but are too labour intensive at the prep stage.

Biscotti certainly are an interesting idea. Can anyone point me to a good recipe?

“My advice to you is not to inquire why or whither, but just enjoy your ice cream while it's on your plate - that's my philosophy”

- Thornton Wilder

Can you give us an idea of the types of ice cream flavors you are serving?

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

Thanks for suggestions and threads!

Single serving desserts like mini pies, flans, etc. (except the cookies and brownies) have never worked that well for us for some reason. I don't know why. Crepes work well but are too labour intensive at the prep stage.

Biscotti certainly are an interesting idea. Can anyone point me to a good recipe?

I don't have a link for you but I wanted to mention that with biscotti, you can do the first bake then wrap well and freeze. Then you can just cut them up and do the second bake when you need them.

edited to add: If you search "biscotti" in this forum you will find a few discussions that will provide you with links.

Edited by CanadianBakin' (log)

Don't wait for extraordinary opportunities. Seize common occasions and make them great. Orison Swett Marden

Are you looking for things that pair well with ice cream, or just general snacks and sweets?

Scones, muffins, and individual-sized cakes are generally popular, and often have a good shelf life. Flapjack isn't very haute, but I think it's pretty tasty, and again is an item with staying power.

Cutting the lemon/the knife/leaves a little cathedral:/alcoves unguessed by the eye/that open acidulous glass/to the light; topazes/riding the droplets,/altars,/aromatic facades. - Ode to a Lemon, Pablo Neruda

If you have the freezer space, how about ice-cream sandwiches? You could make 'em with basic chocolate chip or oatmeal cookies, or get really fancy with the flavors. Or if you're looking for truly nibble-sized treats, what about making miniature cookies, sandwich in the ice cream, and then dunk them in chocolate and sell them in bags of 3 or 5 to be eaten on the go? They'd be like mini Its-Its, yum! :raz:

Thanks again, everybody!

Can you give us an idea of the types of ice cream flavors you are serving?

We always have sixteen flavours in each shop - the usual: vanilla, chocolate, strawberry - the popular: cookies, Baileys, caramel, mint, coffee/kahlua - sorbets: raspberry and a second which could be mango, peach/passionfruit, lemon-lime, guinness/black current etc. - The unusual: green tea/ginger, goats cheese/caramelised fig, honey/lavender, chocolate/chilli pepper, etc.

It's an upscale shop and our ice cream is very expensive.

Are you looking for things that pair well with ice cream, or just general snacks and sweets?

Both, ideally. Scones are out because it tends to bring in the wrong type of clientele (the type who arrive on a tour bus, bring their own tea bag, pick out the currants, and complain bitterly about the price). Muffins, I think the same... It's a weird balance we need between accessible and haute...

If you have the freezer space, how about ice-cream sandwiches?

Good idea. They are tasty as well. Still, I think having the pastry separate allows customer to pair with ice cream or not depending on their whims...

- Thornton Wilder

Can you do something like a strawberry short cake? You can freeze the biscuits and just bake off daily. Split them, give them a scoop of vanilla ice cream, strawberries in syrup and some whipped cream.

An that angle you can flavor shortbread biscuits. I make chocolate chip ones and all chocolate biscuits. You could then do some more creative/upscale twists with them.........or homie desserts too.

For example:

Chocolate biscuit, chocolate chili pepper ice cream, warm ganache

Cannoli: chocolate chip biscuit, riccatta ice cream, sprinkle on chopped pistachios

You could also bake off some florentine cookies to use with your ice cream. Florentines would sell just on their own. Shape some into cones and sell a petite cone and put your honey/lavender ice cream in it, etc....

You can use those counter top stoves with-out vent hoods. If you could do a bananas foster I think you'd sell zillions. Or even make it and reheat to order and put it over a dulce de leche ice cream.

In addition you can sell some homemade candies in your shop. Ones that are easy.......and most have very long shelf lives.

You could do:

fudge (I know, but make some upscale flavors)

very gourmet chocolate covered pretzels (I've gotten some that were fab. in a local shop, I'll look up their website for you asap)

Toffee

Sponge candy or some call it Sea Foam

Can you sell bottled jars of ice cream sauces? Using the same gourmet flavor choices you've got going with your ice creams. Like lavender/honey, chocolate chili, etc...

Then there's alway pies ala mode that sell well. You can buy in a decent pie (not telling anyone of course) offer to microwave it and serve with ice cream. Again, getting creative........

Oh! You should make Nanaimo Bars (from Nanaimo, BC, Canada) They are SO good!

To Wit:

Base

2 squares (oz.) semi-sweet chocolate

2 cups graham cracker crumbs

1 cup coconut

1/2 cup softened butter

1/2 cup chopped walnuts

2 tablespoons sugar

1 teaspoon vanilla

1 egg

Filling

1/4 cup butter, softened

3 tablespoons milk

2 tablespoons instant vanilla pudding

2 cups confectioners (powdered) sugar

Glaze

4 squares (oz.) semi-sweet chocolate

1 tablespoon butter

Procedure:

Base

Combine ingredients. Press into 9 inch square cake pan. Chill.

Filling

Combine butter, milk, and custard powder. Blend in confectioner's sugar. Spread over base. Chill at least 15 minutes.

Glaze

Partially melt chocolate and butter. Remove from heat and stir until melted. Spread over custard layer. Chill.

Store in refrigerator, covered, up to 1 month. Makes 24 bars.

Serve chilled. They're rich, so small portions may be appropriate

the tall drink of water...

Oh! You should make Nanaimo Bars (from Nanaimo, BC, Canada) They are SO good!

Motion heartily seconded! They are totally devoid of nutritional value, and I swear I've felt my heart spasm in shock a bit while eating them, but they are ridiculously tasty.

Edited by lexy (log)

Cutting the lemon/the knife/leaves a little cathedral:/alcoves unguessed by the eye/that open acidulous glass/to the light; topazes/riding the droplets,/altars,/aromatic facades. - Ode to a Lemon, Pablo Neruda

Thanks so much Wendy for all your suggestions. Lots of ideas there. I do make fudge from time to time. I like the simple tasty things!

And I guess I'm going to have to go making nanaimo! Never heard of it, but that is a tempting recipe all right! I haven't seen graham crackers around this part of Ireland, but will have to try to lay my hands on some. If not, is there a substitute I can use?

- Thornton Wilder

Thanks so much Wendy for all your suggestions. Lots of ideas there. I do make fudge from time to time. I like the simple tasty things!

And I guess I'm going to have to go making nanaimo! Never heard of it, but that is a tempting recipe all right! I haven't seen graham crackers around this part of Ireland, but will have to try to lay my hands on some. If not, is there a substitute I can use?

You could try subbing table water crackers, I think.

May

Totally More-ish: The New and Improved Foodblog

Regular digestive biscuits would make a fantastic substitute, or those digestive-like Hovis crackers. You want something that's a little buttery (not dry like crackers) - maybe even stale cake crumbs in a pinch. It's a base very similar to the base for american-style cheesecake.

Regular digestive biscuits would make a fantastic substitute, or those digestive-like Hovis crackers. You want something that's a little buttery (not dry like crackers) - maybe even stale cake crumbs in a pinch. It's a base very similar to the base for american-style cheesecake.

Graham crackers get their flavor from whole wheat flour and honey -- it's a rolled cookie dough that wouldn't be too difficult to bake off a few sheet pans at a time and crumble.

As far as relatively labor free items -- flavored marshmallows and frozen souffles are good fun with meringue; tuile paste (and chocolate tuile paste) can always be made into any sort of interesting shape -- and sugared puff pastry cookies (palmiers and papillons) are really easy and SUPER delicious.

Rico

• 2 weeks later...