• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Kids delights?

Hi there, I'm looking for your favourite spots to take kids in London, Devon and Cornwall.

All you seem to see in the guidebooks are talk of places like the Rainforest Cafe and fast food chains but I would like to introduce them to some of the UK's foodie culture. For my own sanity as well, I really don't want to end up at Pizza Hut or Burger King.

I am thinking, for example, that a trip to Neal's Yard (not on a Saturday!) to taste some of the cheese would go over well and a trip to Patisserie Valerie for sweets. But I'm a bit stuck on where to take them for more substantial meals.

The kids are 6, 8 and 10. I don't think they're the pickiest of eaters but, like most kids, a trip to St. John restaurant for a serving of offal probably wouldn't be the thing either.

In the south, where we'll be getting a cottage, I thought I might take them to Rick Stein's Fish & Chip shop in Padstow. Other suggestions? We will be in the areas of Bude, St Austell (Eden Project) and the lower end of Cornwall (Padstow / Lands End) as well as passing Stonehenge on our way there.

Maybe a good place for a cream tea?

When your in Padstow, take the kids mackerel fishing with my mate Cheeser, and then bring the catch back to my place and we can get the kids to prep cook and eat some .

Now that's an offer I couldn't refuse! Tell me more. That sounds wonderful :biggrin:

Hi there, I'm looking for your favourite spots to take kids in London, Devon and Cornwall.

Mine's a three yr old so you already have a lot more experience than I do. Generally I don't find London restaurants very kid friendly so there's a tendency for those that do welcome rugrats to be oversubscribed zoos.

There's a small chain called Giraffe with branches off Marylebone High Street, in Islington and Hampstead. If you're doing much hanging out in London you'll probably end up in these places anyway (certainly Marylebone HS - it's foodie mecca). They're canteen style with a 'World Food' menu. I even like it for a fast grown-up lunch and their Sunday breakfasts are excellent.

If you find youself at Camden Market (which I highly recommend for kid entertainment though it's gall and wormwood to an adult of any sensibility) then come out to the north and head to Casa Mansi/Marine Ices opposite Chalk Farm Tube. I like their ice creams, though opinions differ, but their restaurant is one of those fast disappearing local, family 'Red Sauce' Italians. I think they won the Observer Food Monthly award for best kids restaurant last year.

Why not go completely counter-intuitive and take them for tea at the Ritz? They'll be awed into compliance :smile:

My daughter also recommends Bodean's BBQ in Poland Street and Yo Sushi but at that point I frankly disown her.

T

Tim Hayward

"Anyone who wants to write about food would do well to stay away from

similes and metaphors, because if you're not careful, expressions like

'light as a feather' make their way into your sentences and then where are you?"

Nora Ephron

Sackville- a trip to Basildog's place is a must if venturing to Padstow. And Basil's idea of going fishing and bringing the catch back to cook is a great one. Remind me Bas- how many did you lot catch and cook up on the barbeque last year? :biggrin: He also modestly forgot to mention, that Margot's is often very booked up during the Summer months. Just make sure you avoid the annoying local Wine Merchant who spends half his life in Margot's, blagging food and taking advantage of Basil's generosity. A sad and indeed, sorry thing to watch.

Also- what about Elephant in Torquay on the way down to Cornwall?

Edited by Bapi (log)

We caught one mackerel OK! but that was with Big Tim, a friend with a boat, not someone who does it for a living :raz:

WE??? I think you will find it was young Becky aged three, who caught it. :biggrin:

We caught one mackerel OK! but that was with Big Tim, a friend with a boat, not someone who does it for a living :raz:

WE??? I think you will find it was young Becky aged three, who caught it. :biggrin:

While you were 30 miles away in a rowing boat. :raz:

Do drop in Sackville! We are very child-friendly for a wine merchant: our wine terrace is perfect for a bottle of pop....and a fizzy drink or two for the wains!

:smile:

Edited by slacker (log)

slacker,

Padstow, Cornwall

Actually I reckon St John Bread and Wine (the Spitalfields branch) would be pretty good for kids.

It's been great for my two (4 and 6): excellent for parents and children alike and you can potter around Spitalfields and the market afterwards.

clb