• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

New 'Cupcakes' n The Hood!

Sam Salmon

It's no mere rumour that the notoriously rich little delicacies now resident on Denman are soon to be found on Broadway near McDonald as well.

Not sure of the exact locale but adds for Staff are being posted so it won't be long!

Mixed feelings here-formerly I could burn off what I added by cycling over to Denman-soon this will no longer be possible. :wacko:

OMG. Sunshine diner for breakfast and a shake then stop off at cupcakes to finish me off. I better move to maple ridge and ride in to burn it all off.

"There are two things every chef needs in the kitchen: fish sauce and duck fat" - Tony Minichiello

I'm reminded of a friend of mine who thinks Cupcakes is ridiculous. "I bet this is the kind of place the Romans had just before their decline".

So, are the cupcakes worth it? I haven't tried them before. What kind should I try?

All I can say is that they are so sweet they make one's teeth ache. :wub:

As to the Romans well your pal is quite right not just about Cupcakes but our whole society.

I have seen seemingly normal people pay enough money to feed a poor African family for an entire year on a barbeque.

I'm reminded of a friend of mine who thinks Cupcakes is ridiculous.  "I bet this is the kind of place the Romans had just before their decline".

So, are the cupcakes worth it?  I haven't tried them before.  What kind should I try?

I stayed at the Sylvia for a week last spring, just around the corner from Cupcakes. We had them a couple of nights and they did call to me everytime I walked by the window. If the nanny (for nanny read conscience) wasn't with me I would have eaten them every day. Anything starting with chocolate or coffee was excellent.

Methinks that these sugary demons are going to increase the incidence of diabetes in Kitsilano.

The cupcakes themselves are hardly the stuff of dessert dreams. However, the nostalgia factor alone is worth the trip. Who doesn't want to consume a "sweet sixteen cake" and relive that pastel world of adolescent innocence? I wonder how many of us were actually that sweet at the time? That and the fact that the waif-like Katie Holmes pretends to eat them in great quantities.

In any case, bring on the buttercream is all I can say!

"There are few hours in life more agreeable than the hour dedicated to the ceremony known as afternoon tea."

~ Henry James, The Portrait of a Lady

Tara Lee

Literary and Culinary Rambles

http://literaryculinaryrambles.blogspot.com

I'm reminded of a friend of mine who thinks Cupcakes is ridiculous.  "I bet this is the kind of place the Romans had just before their decline".

So, are the cupcakes worth it?  I haven't tried them before.  What kind should I try?

I stayed at the Sylvia for a week last spring, just around the corner from Cupcakes. We had them a couple of nights and they did call to me everytime I walked by the window. If the nanny (for nanny read conscience) wasn't with me I would have eaten them every day. Anything starting with chocolate or coffee was excellent.

Kerry, you have an interesting fantasy life! Does the nanny put you in the Naughty Chair if you eat too many cupcakes?

For my fortieth birthday party, which was a potluck, my friend brought forty of the little cupcakes,

and if there weren't one, but two lobster-shaped chocolate cakes on the table, I would have eaten more than just one! They are little birthday parties in themselves.

"I used to be Snow White, but I drifted."

--Mae West

I guess it depends if you are a chocolate person or not. My favourites are the chocolate cupcakes with the bright pink icing and sprinkles. I'm not a pink fan, but for some reason I find it the most buttercreamy tasting of the cupcakes. On holidays, if you go very early, they have special big holiday cupcakes, e.g. Thanksgiving I picked up four huge cupcakes with turkey decorations, etc. on them.

Please keep us updated when they open up.

Cheers,

T

"Great women are like fine wine...they only get better with age."

Ok you guys, now I've been thinking about cupcakes all day and since I'm in Ontario I'm going to have to do without.

I'm recalling that I enjoyed the lemon ones too.

I was REALLY disappointed by the 'cakes at Cupcakes... they are so heavy... i find the cake part flavorless and floury, and the icing, overly thick and too sweet....

A good cupcake, to me, is light with a thin layer of frosting!!! Shouldn't make u feel sick afterward!!!

I just purchased a half dozen yesterday for a birthday party. Anyone else think $12 is a touch silly for 6 cupcakes? Sure, I bought them, as I knew the birthday girl loves them, but $12? Jeesh.

Get there early and buy the day olds.

"I used to be Snow White, but I drifted."

--Mae West

OMG.  Sunshine diner for breakfast and a shake then stop off at cupcakes to finish me off.  I better move to maple ridge and ride in to burn it all off.

Wow, you have dessert after breakfast? This is one of the reasons I love checking in on eGullet - to hear about the eating habits of like-minded people :biggrin:

• 2 months later...

That is one PINK store. Holy crap. You walk down broadway with the brick walled buildings and BAM you get hit with pink madness of Cupcakes then POW green like I've never seen from Banana Leaf. Sensory overload :biggrin:

"There are two things every chef needs in the kitchen: fish sauce and duck fat" - Tony Minichiello