• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Ph 10 : Pâtisserie Pierre Hermé

John DePaula

Has anyone tried this book? Ph 10 : Pâtisserie Pierre Hermé (Ph 10 : Patisserie Pierre Herme)

It's very expensive so I'm just wondering if it's worth it. Seems to be pretty much unavailable in the U.S. right now, for some reason.

John DePaula
formerly of DePaula Confections
Hand-crafted artisanal chocolates & gourmet confections - …Because Pleasure Matters…
--------------------
When asked “What are the secrets of good cooking? Escoffier replied, “There are three: butter, butter and butter.”

I have it and it's beautiful. Geared toward the professional, it assumes a certain amount of knowledge, so it's not heavy on explanation. Also, the recipes are geared toward production - a component recipe may produce more than you need with the assumption that you're doing other things with it.

BTW, I live in Portland, so if you want to see it sometime, PM me - I'd like to see your work anyway!

I have it and it's beautiful. Geared toward the professional, it assumes a certain amount of knowledge, so it's not heavy on explanation. Also, the recipes are geared toward production - a component recipe may produce more than you need with the assumption that you're doing other things with it.

BTW, I live in Portland, so if you want to see it sometime, PM me - I'd like to see your work anyway!

Thank You! :biggrin:

John DePaula
Hand-crafted artisanal chocolates & gourmet confections - …Because Pleasure Matters…
--------------------
When asked “What are the secrets of good cooking? Escoffier replied, “There are three: butter, butter and butter.”

Heres a link to a Spanish site where you can see some of the pictures from the book, beautiful stuff, of course.

One thing to remember is that this book is only available in French, unlike the first PH pro book ( which is in English AND French).

2317/5000

After coveting PH 10 for months, I finally ordered it last week along with the Gerard Mulot book from Amazon France. I was hoping it would be aimed at professionals, so I'm happy to hear that confirmed. I'll try to post some more info when it arrives.

After coveting PH 10 for months, I finally ordered it last week along with the Gerard Mulot book from Amazon France. I was hoping it would be aimed at professionals, so I'm happy to hear that confirmed. I'll try to post some more info when it arrives.

This is schweet news, Neil!

I just heard from a friend that it's a pretty stunning book, both in looks and text.

2317/5000

Heres a link to a Spanish site where you can see some of the pictures from the book, beautiful stuff, of course.

One thing to remember is that this book is only available in French, unlike the first PH pro book ( which is in English AND French).

Thanks, Ted! BTW, after going to pastry school in France, the language shouldn't be a problem... Assuming that I haven't forgotten everything already! :smile:

John DePaula
--------------------

Hi Everybody, :Nightscotsman I hope you are not in the rush to receive PH 10 a friend of mine ordered it from Amazon France in October and just received it a month ago Now.

My husband order it since christmas, and i did not received it yet.....

But i'm sure it is a really nice book....

talk to you later :wink:

Understood :biggrin: I get by on kitchen French and sherlock!

Also, I read French, at least cooking French, better then I speak it.

A few things are tough though, which is why with a book of this magnitude ( both in expense and scope) I might be tempted to wait for the (hopeful) English & French version.

2317/5000

i just ordered it from fnac, we'll see what happens

amazon.fr is out of stock on it as of today

Yes, I've been keeping track of it for weeks on amazon.fr and they always say it's unavailable...

John DePaula
--------------------

We are very much looking forward to your evaluation of these books, Neil. Thanks!

John DePaula
--------------------

i just ordered it from fnac, we'll see what happens

amazon.fr is out of stock on it as of today

Oh yeah, I forgot I also ordered it from Fnac, not Amazon as I posted. Just like everyone else, I checked Amazon and it was not available. Sorry for the mix up. I also checked Amazon Canada, but it turned out to be cheaper to get it from France.

Well, I have good news and bad news. The good news is there's a new Pierre Herme book out! The bad news is I am a bone head and didn't realize that and thought the Patisserie de Pierre Herme was the book being refered to. So now I have a new expensive book to lust after? Sorry for my mistake... :unsure:

OK, Fnac just informed me that they can't get PH 10, so they are shipping the Gerard Mulot book and cancelling Herme. :angry: I wish they had given me a choice - I would have cancelled the entire order. Now if I still want PH 10 (and I do), I'll have to pay twice for shipping. :angry::angry:

Its a good book no question...I am going to wait for the English version though which is due to come out Feb. 2007.

coolcoolcool - I'll definitely be waiting as well if this is true. Just in time for my birthday! Thanks so much for the tip. Where did you learn about the English version coming out?

Its a good book no question...I am going to wait for the English version though which is due to come out Feb. 2007.

coolcoolcool - I'll definitely be waiting as well if this is true. Just in time for my birthday! Thanks so much for the tip. Where did you learn about the English version coming out?

I'd love to know that too!

Great news.

2317/5000

www.booksforcooks.com ........which is the biggest and best store in London for all food related literature.

They have of course great contacts to publishers everywhere....I have ordered the greatly anticipated Paco Torreblanca book in English through them which is due to arrive shortly.

www.booksforcooks.com ........which is the biggest and best store in London for all food related literature.

They have of course great contacts to publishers everywhere....I have ordered the greatly anticipated Paco Torreblanca book in English through them which is due to arrive shortly.

Thanks for that info, confiseur!

When you get the Torreblanca book, please post about it for us? Torreblanca

That thread you started, in fact! :biggrin:

Looking forward to it.

2317/5000

.........ha!...just listened to my voice mail and the Torreblanca book has arrived . I wont be able to pick it up for a week or so but when I do and get the time to properly look at it I will of course post on it. :cool: