• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Q&A: Homebrewing

So once we are done with these recipes here where should we go if we haven't developed our skills enough to create our own recipe?

Also, in terms of the Red Ale, I have two fermentation vessels. One bucket with airtight lid and airlock along with a clear plastic container with the really narrow mouth (like the water jugs) with another airlock. Can I do a primary and secondary fermentation with this ale? And, in general, which container should I start with?

Normally you would do your primary fermentation in the bucket and then transfer to the carboy for secondary fermentation. You can actually do the entire fermentation in one vessel if you choose. The major advantage of secondary is for beer clarity and with styles that require extended fermentation time such as lagers, reduced oxidation exposure. When I brew my common House Pale Ale which is essentially an English Ordinary Bitter I ferment it in a bucket for two week and then rack to to a keg for carbonation and serving. If I were brewing this beer for competition, I will rack to a carboy, crash cool it in my lagering room and possibly filter it prior to bottling. I can have an extremely clear beer with just the single bucket fermentation though if I rack very carefully.

In regards to recipes, there are hundreds of websites with recipes. There are numerous brewing forums out there as well. Some better than the rest. Just remember that many of them are like food recipe sites where they may not be that good a recipe even with high ratings. Your fermentation and sanitation practices are more important than a "good recipe" though. There are many great books out there as well full of recipes. My favorite is Brewing Classic Styles. Every recipe in the book was an award winning recipe at national level competition. It has extract as well as all grain version of every recipe. Another great book to own is How To Brew by John Palmer. It is my brewing Bible.

Thanks for the recommendations the books!

Started the Red Ale last night and everything seems to have went smoothly. Again I ended up with under two gallons when I poured it into the fermentor, but I just filled it up to the two gallon mark with water. My girlfriend has a mother starter sourdough culture in the kitchen, which is the only thing I'm worried about. Hopefully I sanitized well.

Transferred the beer to the secondary fermenter today. Smelled and looked like beer, but it had these specks on top that I'm not so sure about. I've posted a picture of it here. I brewed my first beer about a year ago so I can't remember if this is normal. Thoughts?

med_gallery_61882_6265_372971.jpg

They look brown, so I suspect it's yeast that hasn't yet dropped. Difficult to tell in the photo though. Remember that co2 can remain trapped in the little groups of the beasties, keeping them afloat.

NB: I never top off with water. I have no problem with beer that is a little stronger than intended, and you have a much better chance contaminating it if you add something versus nothing.

• 1 month later...

Almost definitely yeast colonies that didn't drop. Infections, in the off chance that it happens, often (NOT always) look like long trails across the surface.

It's an ale yeast and assuming that you're fermenting at 60+ degrees, it's totally normal.

Transferred the beer to the secondary fermenter today. Smelled and looked like beer, but it had these specks on top that I'm not so sure about. I've posted a picture of it here. I brewed my first beer about a year ago so I can't remember if this is normal. Thoughts?

I'm going to say it's remnants from the krausen. Nothing to worry about.

• 5 weeks later...

Beer turned out great! Tastes pretty good, though it seems to be really low on alcohol...I bottled them in 22oz bottles and if I drink one I can barely feel it compared to the very first extract brew recipe here.

Yup... you're getting the lessons the progression of recipes is there to teach you. The Red Ale was packed with unfermentable sugars... it will have a rich body, but not much alcohol in it... unlike the Golden Ale that has very little unfermentable in it. If you have any of the Golden left, mix them in varying proportions and see how they blend with each other.

Christopher D. Holst aka "cdh"

Learn to brew beer with my eGCI course

Chris Holst, Attorney-at-Lunch

• 11 months later...

I am planning on making a Strawberry Blond ale this weekend. The inspiration is Abita's refreshing "Strawberry Harvest". Anyways, adding fruit to my beer is fine with me. I've made a really nice Cherry Ale a while back that was a favorite of everyone who tasted it. My question concerns Elederflowers actually. Elderflowers are in season here now and are growing all over the place. I already made a nice syrup/cordial with some (sugar+water+flowers) that has a great spicy taste and a lovely chartreuse color. I am also soaking some in vodka to make a cordial. I would like to add some elderflowers to my beer but not sure what the best approach is:

- Add a bunch of flowers at flameout along with the berries and let them steep while chilling the wort?

- Add a cup or two of my Elederflower syrup?

- Add a cup of Elderflower infused vodka (not sure I have enough time for this one)?

or maybe adding the Elderflowers is not a good idea at all....

Any suggestions?

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

I am planning on making a Strawberry Blond ale this weekend. The inspiration is Abita's refreshing "Strawberry Harvest". Anyways, adding fruit to my beer is fine with me. I've made a really nice Cherry Ale a while back that was a favorite of everyone who tasted it. My question concerns Elederflowers actually. Elderflowers are in season here now and are growing all over the place. I already made a nice syrup/cordial with some (sugar+water+flowers) that has a great spicy taste and a lovely chartreuse color. I am also soaking some in vodka to make a cordial. I would like to add some elderflowers to my beer but not sure what the best approach is:

- Add a bunch of flowers at flameout along with the berries and let them steep while chilling the wort?

- Add a cup of Elderflower infused vodka (not sure I have enough time for this one)?

Any suggestions?

I'd zap them in the microwave for 30 seconds to kill any microbes and add them to the secondary. In general, flowers in the boil/primary are going to lose too much of their essential oils and flavors.

But I have not worked with elderberry flowers -- if they taste good steeped, toss them in the secondary. If they need to be boiled to bring out the flavor, then do that as close to flameout as possible.

Who cares how time advances? I am drinking ale today. -- Edgar Allan Poe

Any suggestions?

I'd zap them in the microwave for 30 seconds to kill any microbes and add them to the secondary. In general, flowers in the boil/primary are going to lose too much of their essential oils and flavors.

But I have not worked with elderberry flowers -- if they taste good steeped, toss them in the secondary. If they need to be boiled to bring out the flavor, then do that as close to flameout as possible.

They work better steeped in hot water I think, not necessarily boiled. The more I think about it, I might just skip them all together. I do not want the beer to have a greenish tinge. They do that. We'll see.

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

Any suggestions?

They work better steeped in hot water I think, not necessarily boiled. The more I think about it, I might just skip them all together. I do not want the beer to have a greenish tinge. They do that. We'll see.

I ended up not using them because of the color issue I mentioned above and I did not think their mild fragrance would make a difference.

I am interested with what everyone thinks about using fresh fruit (esp. berries) in beer. What is the best way to include them. I have made a cherry ale by adding the cherries (mashed up) at flame-out and left them in the fermenter for 5 days before scooping them all off. That worked well. I am doing the same thing for the strawberries this time around. I still have a couple of weeks at least before I can tell how the beer ends up working out. Any thoughts?

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

I always add fruit after primary is finished -- or at least slowed down considerably.

I haven't found a fruit yet where the flavor is improved by boiling.

EDIT -- And brewing with fruit is a lot like sculpture -- you have to really think about what's left, flavor-wise, when all the sucrose has been removed.

Edited by ScoopKW (log)

I always add fruit after primary is finished -- or at least slowed down considerably.

I haven't found a fruit yet where the flavor is improved by boiling.

EDIT -- And brewing with fruit is a lot like sculpture -- you have to really think about what's left, flavor-wise, when all the sucrose has been removed.

Well, I never boil it so as not to set the pectin and make jam! I add them at flame out. I figured the high heart is needed to deactivate any enzymes and kill any nasties.

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

And if you give it a little more hops after racking* (if appropriate for the style, naturally), all the better from an anti-spoilage perspective.

*I'm assuming most people here don't have conical fermentors.