• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Favorite Portland, ME Things

Ellie

I'm hungry and began to think of some of my favorite treats around town. The more I thought about it, the longer the list seemed to get. Here are a few, in no particular order:

1. Fried Pickles at Bingas Wingas

2. Anything at Asmara (please, please don't go out of business!)

3. 'Noreaster' slice (buffalo chicken) at Portland Pie

4. Frenchman 75 cocktail (?) at Oolong

5. Breakfast sandwich with maple syrup and tobasco at Oh No!

6. Cheeseburger at Shay's

7. Fried Pork from La Bodega Latina (with a squeeze of lime, of course!)

8. Eggs Benedict at The Front Room (really like this place!)

9. Salt bagels from One Fifty Ate (with the spicy cream cheese or the Yuppie)

10. Toro Tataki at Yosuku (and everything else)

I've got more, but I've gotta run. Please add to the list!! :)

I actually do not have anything to add as of yet. Tough critic and all, but wanted to express my surprise at the lack of responses. There are several members in the Portland area that I talk to that surely can add to your list and step on the figurative soapbox. I would love to hear more about the great things in Portland.

I actually do not have anything to add as of yet.  Tough critic and all, but wanted to express my surprise at the lack of responses.  There are several members in the Portland area that I talk to that surely can add to your list and step on the figurative soapbox.  I would love to hear more about the great things in Portland.

I hope you can add to the list soon. Didn't you and JohnnyD have some nice cocktails at Oolong? Maybe a favorite cup of coffee? Since moving to Portland I practice my most open-mindedness and patience (man does this town have bad service!) because there are more limited options than the bigger cities I've lived in. My expectations are different now and that works for me.

I'll keep going... My favorite:

* Farm Stand, Jordan's Farm in Cape

* Local Beer, Geary's

* Local picnic spot, Kettle Cove

BTW, my previous post read:

9. Salt bagels from One Fifty Ate (with the spicy cream cheese or the Yuppie)

It's the HIPPIE not the Yuppie! Sheesh, where did that come from :)

Ok, I will bite. At least a little bit. Overall, I think that Geary's has the best beer in Maine. Hands down. My favorite is the London Porter, although the Hampshire is great (albeit strong alcohol-wise) as is the Pale. I think that Shipyard is not very consistent and I think have gotten too big with regards to contract-brewing and have let the level of quality slip in recent years. I could ramble on for the next hour, but I will leave it at that for the moment.

I think that One Fifty Ate has a good baguette, but I have been playing hit or miss with the vast majority of their offerings.

The Sampler @ Norm's East end. Pig, Chicken, and more pig and the slow, comforting onset of a food coma all for 17 bucks. I eat the sausage last for true decadence.

A milkshake and the Special at Duckfat

Potato Gnochi at Front Room--Hollandaise, spinach, poached eggs and chunky chewy lardons. A lot like Eggs Benedict but in a fork-only format; leaves one hand free to read the paper or flip the pages of a magazine.

A tumbler of Laphroaig and a cup of coffee at the Top of the East watching Portland as the fog rolls in.

A couple of pints and shots of Grand Marnier over a round of Golf at Gritty's.

And just when you thought I wasn't eatin' my greens:

"Harmonious Chaos" at Silly's--Spinach, Bacon, Grilled Chicken, Bacon, Pureed avocado, Blue cheese and I can't remember what else.

myers

Oh, this is such a dangerous topic..

--The Oysters @ King of the Roll--Mr. John Wayne has made me a fan..

--The Scallops in Pernod and Lobster Bread Pudding @ Street and Co.

--The Fries from Duckfat

--The chocolate pudding @ Caiola's

--The sausage and biscuits @ the Front Room

--The Lobster and Filet in Sherry Cream sauce @ Fransisco's(it was on their v-day menu)

--The White Moca @ Yongo's(RIP)

--damn near anything from Henry the VIII's when I'm feeling very carnivorous...

Deadheads are kinda like people who like licorice. Not everybody likes licorice, but people who like licorice, *really* like licorice!

-Jerry Garcia

Thanks for this thread! It's added significantly to my Portland To-Do list.

My additions:

-Oysters from Harbor Fish

-Truffle ketchup and curry mayo on Duckfat fries (not at the same time) :biggrin:

-Browne Trading caviar

-Allagash White Ale w/lemon wedge - outside on a warm day

Edited by bigwino (log)

I've been so busy lately I couldn't come up with two let alone ten... but I'm determined now! :wink:

- the "Tuna Plate" at Yosaku: Maguro, Toro, Bincho, Bonito (or Hamachi), a sashimi order my wife and I get when we visit Tak, the chef/owner.

- the Sazarac cocktail at Oolong made by that mysteriously handsome barkeep.

- endless countnecks from Harbor Fish, on the half-shell and doused in fresh lime juice - best served on the washrail of a wooden lobsterboat, tied to the DiMillo pier.

I'll think of more but this thread has done it's job: It's pointed me in a number of new directions for some particular dishes at places I haven't been yet - thanks everyone! :biggrin:

"I took the habit of asking Pierre to bring me whatever looks good today and he would bring out the most wonderful things," - bleudauvergne

foodblogs: Dining Downeast I - Dining Downeast II

Portland Food Map.com

I don't think I have ten, but here are a few:

- Molinari salumetti, Humboldt Fog, and Marcona almonds from Rosemont bakery

-the wilted greens on Sophia's brunch menu. Close second is the collard greens at Honey's

-Jordan's Farm corn

-cheese selection at 555

-Juan's fried chicken from La Bodega

-the "Tastes" menu at Street & Co.

-From the Potrland Spice Co, they have sort of like a fried dough flavored with anise from a Spanish company called Porres (sorry. Jon and I always refer to them as tea cakes, so I don't know what they actually are, other than delicious!)

-and of course, when he makes it, Rob's 'Love Affair with Cod' from Hugo's

oops! I forgot the tsukemono (pickled vegetables) and cruchy, spicy tuna roll from Ginza Town and the Combo Plate appetizer from Shahnaz Persian Grille

Edited by esme (log)

it's way too early to be reading this thread...

could someone bring over a side towel to help with the drool?

Deadheads are kinda like people who like licorice. Not everybody likes licorice, but people who like licorice, *really* like licorice!

-Jerry Garcia

Ok...so it's been a while since I've been here. But I can't resist adding a couple

the "Steak and Cheese" app. at 555

A still-warm molasses donut from Tony's

Oysters with cream and Pernod from Michaela's (I miss that place)

creme brulee from Back Bay Grill

Fried clams from Susan's Fish and Chips

and

My wife's Lemon cheesecake with animal cracker crust and topped with lemon curd

"Democracy is that system of government under which the people…pick out a Coolidge to be head of the State. It is as if a hungry man, set before a banquet prepared by master cooks and covering a table an acre in area, should turn his back upon the feast and stay his stomach by catching and eating flies." H. L. Mencken

I don't think I have ten, but here are a few:

- Molinari salumetti, Humboldt Fog, and Marcona almonds from Rosemont bakery

Do all of those come from Rosemont bakery?

What is Molinari salumetti? (For that matter, what's a Humboldt Fog?)

Is there a lunch to be had out of any of this?

Thank God for tea! What would the world do without tea? How did it exist? I am glad I was not born before tea!

- Sydney Smith, English clergyman & essayist, 1771-1845

Do all of those come from Rosemont bakery?

What is Molinari salumetti?  (For that matter, what's a Humboldt Fog?)

Is there a lunch to be had out of any of this?

Yes, you can buy them all at Rosemont.

Molinari is meat company based in San Francisco. They make hot and sweet sausages and salametti, or little salami (sorry, my spelling was poor the other day). Humboldt Fog (also from California) is an aged goat cheese with a vein of ash through the middle and is frequently found on the aforementioned 555 cheese menu as well. While I love both, I don't tend to eat the two together, so I think you have the beginnings of two lunches :wink: .

P.S. I did just get back from Italy and unfortunately had no luck finding your friend Patricia at the fair.

Ah thanks. I knew it was a long shot w/o the name of the vinyard that her husband manages. Bet you had a great time though.

Back to Rosemont Bakery - do they have a place to eat there, or is it strictly takeaway?

With the folding of the PPM, I am at a loss for quick comfortable lunches on a run through Portland that we have planned for June.

Thank God for tea! What would the world do without tea? How did it exist? I am glad I was not born before tea!

- Sydney Smith, English clergyman & essayist, 1771-1845

Rosemont is take-away only and is really not downtown, more than a mile out on Brighton Ave (Rte.25)

I can sense the crowds left high and dry by the PPM closure filtering out around Monument Sq and beyond. We'll have a list for you before June 1, Mr. Rider. :raz:

"I took the habit of asking Pierre to bring me whatever looks good today and he would bring out the most wonderful things," - bleudauvergne

Portland Food Map.com

I have a new current favorite, the breakfast burritos at Gogo in South Portland.

First, the burritos are really tasty and you can share them along with something like a fruit bowl or a fruit smoothie. Two, you can sit down! and the queue is short! Third, its in South Portland (NOT by the Mall). These are all good things. I'm looking forward to trying the breakfast pies (?) which are (I think) sort of crustless quiche served with a salad or homefries?

I'm also going to work on being able to bike there and back rather than drive. That's gonna take some work(out)! :wink:

It's been great weather this weekend. I can't wait for farmstand season! We're attempting to smoke mackerel today, fingers crossed for good results.

That must be the place that has a large octagonal window. Been renovating for years. I see it's a half-moon window now.

I love having good places open up around that part of SoPo. I'll have to check it out!

Edited by johnnyd (log)

Portland Food Map.com

I finally made it to Portland for the first time ever in my middle-aged life, and I have a whole lot of you to thank for this thread.

I live in Newbuyrport Mass, which is just an hour south, so though I go north a lot along the coast I've always skipped Portland on the grounds that it's (a) a city, which I'm usually trying to avoid, and (b) tucked out of the way on the 295 loop.

I've always been in a rush to get someplace like Tennant's Harbor or Castine, or else too close to home to bother stopping. Stupid, stupid, stupid!

Anyway - Negroni cocktail at Oolong if you like Campari, which I do, along with every other bitter edible thing in the world. The other food there OK but not really exceptional.

Damariscotta oysters at Harbor Fish, thank you JohnnyD! O. My. God. Also very nice packets of wild smoked salmon trimmings, extraordinarily lean and low-priced. These were my take-home souvenirs.

The next weekend (this past) I wound up back in Portland yet again to show it off to my visiting older brother, who had also never been. Against my very much better judgment he ordered seafood chili at Gilbert's Chowder House, and wouldn't you know, it was really pretty darned good.

--L. Rap

Blog and recipes at: Eating Away

Let the lamp affix its beam.

The only emperor is the emperor of ice-cream.

--Wallace Stevens