• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Iron Chef (Japan) - RIP on FTV

JPW

So it appears that the dumbing down of FTV continues. No more Iron Chef Japan.

Replaced weeknights with the already over-exposed Alton Brown (even though I like the show) and uber-overexposed Rachel Ray, $40 a Day.

:angry:

If someone writes a book about restaurants and nobody reads it, will it produce a 10 page thread?

Joe W

The IC Japan shows had already been repeated several times, although I alwaysd enjoy watching them anyway.

I understand no new episodes are anticipated due to contractual problems.

SB :sad:

The IC Japan shows had already been repeated several times, although I alwaysd enjoy watching them anyway. 

I understand no new episodes are anticipated due to contractual problems.

SB  :sad:

That is unfortunate.

I'd be willing to bet, oh about $40 (including lame tip), that the $40 shows have been repeated more than the various episodes of IC Japan.

If someone writes a book about restaurants and nobody reads it, will it produce a 10 page thread?

Joe W

I agree that this is unfortunate. I learned quite a bit about asian ingredients and cooking techniques from the original show. While I stopped watching the re-runs a while ago, I also wish there was a replacement that lived up to it's educational value. Predictably enough, ICA seems to be geared more towards entertainment than it is towards education.

Flickr: Link

Instagram: Link

Twitter: Link

Ugh. See, THIS is my objection to RR, or at least, FoodTV's handling of her: they've cut back yet more original or different or varied programming just to cram in one more airing of one of her shows. All the variety's being sucked away.

Still, a few years ago FTV tried to do away with Iron Chef reruns at night and got swamped with complaints, then put it back into rotation.

Well, damn. I don't even have cable anymore, but have been known to go spend the night with my mother just to get my Iron Chef fix. :raz:

Does anyone know if they are planning to release Iron Chef on DVD? I'd certainly buy them...

-Sounds awfully rich!

-It is! That's why I serve it with ice cream to cut the sweetness!

I'd be willing to bet, oh about $40 (including lame tip), that the $40 shows have been repeated more than the various episodes of IC Japan.

The $40 shows are all exactly the same, so I guess by definition all of them are repeats.

"ask the locals for the inside track"

Edited by Adiabatic (log)

I was totally wondering why that nuisance AB was in my trusted IC spot the last couple weeks, Food Network, FTW, what-ever, you are dead to me, dead. Good for nothing, sons-of-motherless goats, . . .trails off mumbling to himself.

I admit to being hooked on Iron Chef (Japanese). I've watched re-runs of shows I've seen before. There was an ernestness there that one rarely sees on TV. I loved to watch the cooking techniques, and the tools. Too bad it's gone. the ICA is not the same, though I watch it also. About RR. I once enjoyed her 30 min. meals show, but she seems to have hi-jacked this network now. Where are the "how to" shows that really made this network great? Ming is gone, Sara is gone, I don't even see Bobby Flay doing much anymore. I'm sure they listen to their focus groups and polls, but to those of us who want to cook better and looked to this network as a resource it is a loss.

Predictably enough, ICA seems to be geared more towards entertainment than it is towards education.

Personally, I thought it was supposed to be a cure for insomnia. Maybe I might watch ICA if I thought anyone in the studio, either the chefs or the audience, actually CARED who won the battle.

Where are the "how to" shows that really made this network great?  Ming is gone, Sara is gone, I don't even see Bobby Flay doing much anymore.  I'm sure they listen to their focus groups and polls, but to those of us who want to cook better and looked to this network as a resource it is a loss.

Prime time is Emeril. He's okay but I'm burned out on his schtick. And then comes Unwrapped, which is a tour of a different gumball factory every week.

I've taken to watching the Travel Channel lately, they seem to have more original programming and have expanded their food related programs. My only problem is that I have to go to their website daily to see whaat is on.

Maybe I might watch ICA if I thought anyone in the studio, either the chefs or the audience, actually CARED who won the battle.

I always felt this was the great thing about the show. Being gratious in defeat is just as important as celebrating in victory.

It's kind of like Battle, for Battle's sake.

SB (seems very Japanese to me) :wink:

Maybe I might watch ICA if I thought anyone in the studio, either the chefs or the audience, actually CARED who won the battle.

I always felt this was the great thing about the show. Being gratious in defeat is just as important as celebrating in victory.

Graciousness is one thing. What I see on ICA is indifference.

Graciousness is one thing. What I see on ICA is indifference.

I meant to infer that the concept of graciousness was part of the appeal of the original Japanese version of Iron Chef.

I agree that it's usually lacking in the American version. Perhaps the closest AIC comes is the spirit of good sportsmanship?

Graciousness, after all, requires some degree of humility.

SB (not a common quality in TV chefs) :wink:

The business plan for Cable Channels is to reduce expenses once the Channel has established what they consider an adequate in-elastic subscriber base. Reducing expenses means cheap programming and more commercial content. Just about every Cable Channel has done this.-Dick

They were the best back on Fuji TV in California, not dubbed in english. Trying to figure out what they were cooking was the best part! Oh, and the totally hyperactive commentator.

I've gone to watching Discovery Home, Fine Living and Travel Channels on cable... (and PBS of course!)

They were the best back on Fuji TV in California, not dubbed in english. Trying to figure out what they were cooking was the best part!  Oh, and the totally hyperactive commentator.

I've gone to watching Discovery Home, Fine Living and Travel Channels on cable... (and PBS of course!)

You are so right! I remember one of the commentators trying to wrap his tongue around an exotic Eurpoean-style noodle "dumpling" being prepared by a challenger who was trained in Italy: "sore wa 'Ra-Vee-Ooohhh-leee' desu" - hilarous! The other three repeated it, and nodded in grave agreement that it was a very original preparation. I believe it was Battle Scampi. The female commentators were also much more entertaining in their original high-pitched giggly delivery.

I'm glad that many of you here speak so highly of the original Japanese version. I was one of those many Japanese enthralled by the show in the 90s. I even had this silly illusion that this show would last forever and Chairman Kaga was a real person. When the show was announced to be discontinued rather prematurely, I came to a sudden realization that it was just a TV show. I now describe the show as pretentious and spectacular, but above all, it was a good show.

Now I'm a regular viewer of Senjo no Restaurant. :wink:

I liked the show very much and I really got a good chuckle seeing Chairman Kaga's choice of wardrobe.

Got to love those gloves!

But seriously, I like that show a lot better than Iron Chef America which seems like a joke.

May it live forever in syndication.

Keep on shucking

Oyster Guy

"Why then, the world is mine oyster, which I with sword, shall open."

William Shakespeare-The Merry Wives of Windsor

"An oyster is a French Kiss that goes all the way." Rodney Clark

"Oyster shuckers are the rock stars of the shellfish industry." Jason Woodside

"Obviously, if you don't love life, you can't enjoy an oyster."

Eleanor Clark

So have all the shows been translated into english? Any chance of a... *whips out calculator*... 100 DVD set coming out?

According to Iron Chef, the Offcial Book, there were 297 official "Battles" between 1995-99. I can't believe all of them were translated and shown here? :blink:

SB (by contrast, there were 181 Seinfeld episodes)

Edited by srhcb (log)

Only about 2/3 of them have been shown by FTV.

So have all the shows been translated into english? Any chance of a... *whips out calculator*... 100 DVD set coming out?

According to Iron Chef, the Offcial Book, there were 297 official "Battles" between 1995-99. I can't believe all of them were translated and shown here? :blink:

SB (by contrast, there were 181 Seinfeld episodes)