• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

New Mags, PA&D, Food Arts...

tan319

A few updates for pros and interested parties.

The new FoodArts magazine has an interesting article on a fairly "new" pastry chef to most people, Yvan Lemoine.

He's also a "Bar chef" and has started a consulting firm called iFoodstudios ( ifoodstudios.com).

He's been on the scene since he was 15 though, as you can read in his bio on the site.

As I always say, Food Arts magazine is a great read, a must for any of you working in the biz, and subscriptions are free to industry people.

The words on almost everybodys lips in the pastry world right now, at least in the restaurant world, is 'Dessert Bar' or consulting.

Read the interviews with these Rising Star pastry chefs and see what they're saying.

It's getting to be an economic necessity in the pastry world to diversify and plan for the future.

I think it's getting to be pretty clear cut for pastry chefs.

Either go to Las Vegas if you're into the show/competition scene/ more classic styles or develop your niche in the restaurant world and spread out.

Anyways...

Really late on this.

Pastry Art & Design demoed a "Frozen Desserts" issue an issue ago and I've been meaning to post on it.

It starts publishing in late spring I believe.

It's going to be very interesting...

Although it was a bit "commercial" for me ( product tie ins a plenty but, that's reality these days, no?) .

Two things I'm hoping for.

A definitive-ish article on the Pacojet, with people like Sebastian Rouxell, Sam Mason, maybe even Conticini weighing in with recipes, how to use "properly", etc.

This would be a great thing to throw to non ice cream store people.

Also, an article on Pasteurizers, like the pastochef by Carpigiani.

Taylor makes ( or imports) one also.

What difference will these not IN- expensive machines ( used in Europe very much) make to ones business?

Finally, February /March issue of PA& D with some nice "Signature" desserts from Alex Stupak and Michael Volpe, amongst others.

There you go!

2317/5000

This has been said before, in other threads about PA&D, by reliable people seemingly. But, as much of a "theorist" as I can be at times, I would like to keep this on an "up", positive type vibe, if possible.

2317/5000

machines ( used in Europe very much) make to ones business?

Finally, February /March issue of PA& D with some nice "Signature" desserts from Alex Stupak and Michael Volpe, amongst others.

There you go!

Found a sizable mistake in the ingredients list for Alex Stupaks signature chocolate dessert as heavy cream isn't listed in the ing. but in the directions it talks about adding heavy cream to the mix, bringing it to a boil, etc

If anyone from PA& D reads this perhaps we can get a good measure.

I for one would love to give this a go.

2317/5000