• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Eastside Bakery

All I know is what's not there--Bellevue used to have a Marsee Bakery and a Grand Central Bakery, but I believe both closed down a couple of years ago.

With that sad history, I would guess the best place for bread is the Grand Central shelf at your local QFC.

Hungry Monkey May 2009

Or one of many artisan loaves on the shelves at PCC (Kirkland) - they should have Essential, maybe Tall Grass too. Get with the program LA-B (and everyone else) and shy away from the mainstream grocery recommendations. Support local, and innovative, retailers and restaurants.

Get with the program LA-B (and everyone else) and shy away from the mainstream grocery recommendations. Support local, and innovative, retailers and restaurants.

Well, I really only mentioned QFC because col klink is such a big fan. :laugh:

Does PCC also carry Grand Central? I prefer their bread to Essential, though the Essential rosemary loaf is always good.

I've almost never visited a PCC, probably because (accurately or not) I've bracketed it in my mind with health food stores like Rainbow Grocery. When I dropped my vegetarian habit several years ago, I also stopped going to health food stores. (While some things about Whole Foods smack of health, the sausages, cheese, and buttery cookies overcame my bias.)

The thing that will get me into a PCC is if someone with good taste tells me they have really delicious, great-tasting food (produce, cheese, deli, bread, whatever). I believe in supporting local, independent businesses, but my priority is eating deliciously. It's great when a business offers both those things, as the farmers markets do. If PCC does as well, I'm willing to check it out.

Hungry Monkey May 2009

LaurieA-B,

PCC has upped their committment in the last year or two to stocking artisan breads (yes, they carry Grand Central), cheeses (includes lots of small imported lines), and local produce, mostly organic. Occassionally, I think I should shop elsewhere for variety or price, but find I rarely buy anything, or anything cheaper, than I would have at PCC (includes QFC, Thirftway, and Whole Foods). It helps that it is walking distance to my home. I do shop Trader Joe's for limited items, specialty places like Spanish Table or Chef Shop, and Pike Place Market and farmer's markets. Just stay away from the groddy "health food" substitutes, and PCC is fine. Oh, I rarely buy meat or seafood, so I don't know about those in comparison. Deli stuff varies by location, but they have some good items - a real Frenchman I am acquainted with highly recommends the desserts from the purveyor they currently stock at the Greenlake store. Oh, they carry Cucina Fresca pasta. I think it is the best for purchased fresh pasta. (That should start some debate.) Give the store a try - maybe this should be a new thread?

Um, as soon as someone builds a PCC or Whole Foods in my densely populated neighborhood, I will happily shop there. I do not have a car, and QFC and Safeway are the only options. I constantly lug things home from Pike Market. I'm not willing to also lug things home from Fremont (closest PCC) or 65th (closest Whole Foods).

"Save Donald Duck and Fuck Wolfgang Puck."

-- State Senator John Burton, joking about

how the bill to ban production of foie gras in

California was summarized for signing by

Gov. Schwarzenegger.

Thank god that my new neighborhood has a Larry's Mkt nearby so I dont have to use any freakin cards at QFC or Safeway.

Since I have the choice, I have decided to flat out boycott them.

Don't let the bastards get you down!

heh heh, good ol Handmaid's Tale reference.

Ben

Gimme what cha got for a pork chop!

-Freakmaster

I have two words for America... Meat Crust.

-Mario