• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Arachibutyrophobia:Fear of Peanut Butter Sticking

Interestingly, I am even more keenly aware of things which might bother me now but which I had failed to consider previously ... :hmmm:  ..

Truly! fear grips my heart!  Maybe I should have thought this through more carefully ...  :laugh:

Maybe now I will avoid anything made with monkfish and peachskins or tomato innards and which is served on a spoon or stick ... :unsure:

Shudder.. :angry: (apart from the tomatoes & monkfish)

I cannot stand the feeling that my teeth get after eating yogurt! It's like the enamel has been roughed up. Yuck! I also will not eat fresh peaches, it's a texture thing. And I prefer canned pineapple over fresh to eat as is. Cooked is OK.

Absolutely go nuts when I smell saltines with peanut butter on them. Gross!!! Any cracker with peanut butter.

• 2 weeks later...

Freud would have a heyday with this one . . .

When I was a kid I refused to eat hot dogs unless the freaky looking ends were cut off of them. And I'm not even Jewish. Fortunately, I got over it by the time I was 8. And now I'm a card-carrying homosexual. Go figure.

John

John A Gasbarre

Lamb Abbey Orchards

Union, Maine 04862

http://lambabbey.com

lambabbey@gmail.com

44° 15' 47" N / 69° 18' 42" W

Coffee.  I was burned with it as a child, and can't stand the smell or taste of it.

Rachel has the same exact problem.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

I presume that no-one at eGullet suffers from cibophobia (A fear of food ) or dipsophobia (A fear of drinking alcohol) , in fact many of us are barathrums (A person who eats like they were a bottomless pit) and practice (or wish we could practice) abligurition (Excessive spending on food and drink) and maybe even accubation -(The practice of eating or drinking while lying down)

I found these and some other lovely food-words in the wonderful Grandiloquent Dictionary at http://www.islandnet.com/~egbird/dict/dict.htm

There are some other phobias listed – how about alliumphobia (A fear of garlic)? That would be a truly terrifying condition to live with.

I've only got to the letter C so far, but I'm sure there are lots more.

Happy Feasting

Janet (a.k.a The Old Foodie)

My Blog "The Old Foodie" gives you a short food history story each weekday day, always with a historic recipe, and sometimes a historic menu.

My email address is: theoldfoodie@fastmail.fm

Anything is bearable if you can make a story out of it. N. Scott Momaday

There are some other phobias listed – how about alliumphobia (A fear of garlic)? That would be a truly terrifying condition to live with.

I'm guessing Alliumphobia isn't just a fear of garlic, but encompasses the whole Allium family (Garlic, Leeks, Shallots and Onions). It would probably even include the fear of those huge Giant Alliums that look like one of those huge pink Hostess Snowballs on a stick. . .

IMG_0006.jpg

Frankly, I think Hostess Snowballs are reason alone to be very afraid.

John

Edited by lamb abbey orchards (log)

John A Gasbarre

Lamb Abbey Orchards

Union, Maine 04862

http://lambabbey.com

lambabbey@gmail.com

44° 15' 47" N / 69° 18' 42" W

I have an aversion to eating from a spoon.  It's OK if that is the only practical way to eat the food, such as soup, ice cream, pudding, although I prefer to drink smooth soups from a mug or cup.  Everything else seems to taste better eaten with a fork.  .

No, I'm sorry, but a spoon is not the appropriate instrument for consuming ice cream. Ice cream must be eaten with a fork absolutely as quickly as possible. This avoids consumption of the repulsive melty murk that pools at the bottom of the ice cream bowl.

When I was a kid, I used to eat about two bites (yes, bites) of my ice cream cone before I would start wailing about the melting ice cream running down my arm. Nothing could convince me to eat anymore once it started to melt. Even today, I have to leave the room when my daughter eats ice cream--I can't even witness that bowl of icky melty muck. And don't even get me started on soft serve, milk shakes or floats...

Julie Layne

"...a good little eater."

And I've posted this elsewhere, but I can't eat eggs and chicken in the same bite, because that's like eating mommies and babies.

:laugh::laugh:

I once showed my mom a double-yolked egg, and she says "Oh, look--twins!"

OK, my greatest fear is finding that one day I'll either develop an allergy to something I love, or become lactose-intolerant.

Karen C.

"Oh, suddenly life’s fun, suddenly there’s a reason to get up in the morning – it’s called bacon!" - Sookie St. James

Travelogue: Ten days in Tuscany

I suffer from nixtamalaise. I simpy can't get excited about hominy.

I always attempt to have the ratio of my intelligence to weight ratio be greater than one. But, I am from the midwest. I am sure you can now understand my life's conundrum.

I get a bit queasy looking at monkfish because I know about it and wish I didn't.

I will eat almost any type of sushi or sashimi but don't think I could handle the pickled squid guts.

It took me at least 60 years to get to enjoying eggplant cooked any way but fried with crumbs. Made Barbara Tropp's eggplant dip and found it heavenly and then I found caponata. More heaven.

I prefer to not eat marshmallows. Nasty, squooshy things!

Edited by BarbaraY (log)

My wife has problems with shrimp. When she was younger, she had a terrifying nightmare about giant shrimp and ever since then, she refuses to eat them. The very though of them makes her shiver which is funny when we go to dim sum and half the dishes contain shrimp.

She also won't eat fish eggs, especially the tiny bright orange fish eggs on some sushi rolls- we always tell the sushi chef, "no masago" and then we get some strange looks of course.

Once, I made shortbread cookies, but substituted rice flour for wheat and followed the wheat flour recipe. This made for the most virulent vertigo vomiting I can remember.

Another time, I drank way too much "Annie Green Springs" wine at my cousin's house. Deja VVV all over again. To this day I can't stand apple juice but love apple cider.

Yet another time, I made fried cookies with a chickpea filling. Only after making a whole batch did I realize I had bought a can of chickpeas with garlic. This time, add the words "vivid vortex of."

Coke floats. The most prized treat in our Granddaughter's menu, and it makes me want to run away. My BIL dips Skoal. He carries around a Sprite bottle. A Coke float lookes like the contents.

Any kind of fish or seafood except canned tuna and the S/S shrimp at our fave Chinese place. Their crisp tempura-battered shrimp is acceptable, with a tiny drip of the sauce over.

And I cannot watch anyone eating a fast-food burger or sandwich with the wrapper left half-on. I saw a co-worker several tables away consume half a paper napkin that way once, in two bites, and haven't looked at bought sandwiches the same since.

"Fish Pickles" so beloved of Chris and DS#5---herring in sour cream, in the little glass jars. Anchovies, even in pictures.

Brunswick Stew, Burgoo, Perloo, or any of the nomenclature variations which mean "thrown in a pot by a bunch of men drinking beer, was stirred for six hours with an oar, and has tiny bones in every bite."

Dripping salad greens, especially from salad bars.

Canned vegetable soup. The whirr of the can opener preceded the call to the doctor; my Mother thought it would cure anything.

Canned slick spinach.

Tomatoes treated as fruit.

I know that they are technically a fruit, but I prefer them as a savory dish. In Korea, it is a dessert topped with sugar.

Last year a company came out with a tomato popsicle. My boss loved them and gave me one. It's one of the few things I have spit out in front of anyone.

<a href='http://www.zenkimchi.com/FoodJournal' target='_blank'>ZenKimchi Korean Food Journal</a> - The longest running Korean food blog

Ditto for me with the peach skins and popsicle sticks......

Here's a few more that I'm sure nobody else has, but they're serious for me:

1) As recently mentioned in another thread, I have to look at forkfuls of cooked rice for a few seconds before eating it, just to make sure none of them moved.

2) I cannot eat cereal from an open container. Either the package was just opened and I saw it being opened, or else the cereal was taken from a sealed tupperware container, or else I cannot eat it. (This one comes from shovelling cereal into my face without looking while staring at television, going to drink up the last bits of milk from the bowl only to find the remaining milk was FULL of dead floating grain bugs. GAH! )

3) I cannot eat anything with whole pecans in it, on it, or near it. Those could be even bigger dead bugs.

4) Can't eat anything with raisins in it. Those could be dead flies.

5) I can't drink pop from the can. (You guessed it....bugs could be hiding in there.)

6) Can't eat honey. Bugs made it. Watching someone actually eating a piece of honeycomb will make me barf.

7) I'm ok with apples and apple juice, but I absolutely cannot be near a baby that's been drinking apple juice, because if it burps on me and I catch a whiff of apple juice mixed with stomach acid I will barf.

:rolleyes: Ok I guess that's enough.... now I'm ashamed of myself......

ETA: Thought of one more which I've since gotten over. When I was little I couldn't handle eating cake because it tasted "fuzzy and crunchy in my mouth at the same time." (Mum's quote.) Thinking back, I suppose the crunchiness may have been from experiencing cake slices that'd be left out in the open too long and had dried out. In any case, I got over it. Or just finally had fresh cake, one or the other. :smile:

Edited by Sugarella (log)

ok....this was definatley one of the funniest threads! I especially loved the mushroom story, where she screamed so loud biting into one, they heard her down the street. Too much!!

Myself I don't think I could ever eat a raw oyster. just the thought of it makes me want to gag. I mean your not supposed to chew them right? Someone else said this in another thread I think. So why eat them? yak!

• 2 weeks later...

i love to eat a lot of things that most people would find repulsive - but when it comes right down to it ketchup grosses me out. Especially kethcup on food. My mom used to put in on her mashed potatoes, in a volcano like assembly and it just horrfied me. I simply couldn't eat in the same room as the ketchup volcano **shudder**

The wooden-stick phobia is really interesting. I wonder what sort of physiology is behind that and similar nails-on-the-chalkboard type aversions. I had a friend in school who had a similar, really strong aversion to metal forks touching his teeth. If he even heard someone else's fork touch their teeth, it made him almost sick. Naturally once this became widely known, all of his friends (except me of course) considered it their duty to rub their forks against their teeth in his presence at every opportunity. . .

I know several people with the wooden stick aversion. My upstairs neighbor was a professional cook for years and makes wonderful things, but olives are bad news for him. Olive oil is wonderful but he claims olives taste like barf.

I am one of the "forks on teeth" people. More if I do it myslef (though I probably do it fairly often unconsciously). But it's like fingernails-on-blackboard. My brother used to do a big scrape with every bite and it drove me nuts. We also had Frankoma pottery service when I was growing up, and the sound of a spoon scraping the bowls at breakfast was like a dental drill to me...it would give me shivers. It was bad enough that my mom and brother and I used plastic cereal bowls in the morning, but my dad didn't like them. And he had to get ever last goddam GrapeNuts Flake out of that bowl, and every bit of milk too! Sccrape sccrrrape! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGHH!

As for foods - fresh tomatoes are borderline for me. I used to have such an aversion to them that I was once forced to try my mom's home-grown ones, and went running back to the bathroom to spit them out. It was as much the texture as the flavor. I didn't really ever learn to like them till I had wonderful, perfectly-ripened sweet tomatoes in Greece in salads. But any mealiness, anything less than perfectly ripe still is disgusting to me. Canned sardines I also find hideous.

A very strange one, but one I've come across several times here in Turkey, is the aversion to watching a lemon being squeezed. The secretary at an instrument shop I help out at once in a while cannot stand watching someone squeeze a lemon. If you ask her why, the answer it "Because they're sour!" But she eats the lemon. At home, her husband has to do it. So one day the owner and I were out to lunch, and coming back to the shop, I saw a guy selling lemons off a cart on the street. The little "good angel" on my right shoulder didn't stand a chance... ;) I got one, and when we got back to the shop, I went to Asli and said "I brought you something," and pulled out the lemon. "Very funny," she said, thinking that was the end of it. I the crammed the whole lemon into my mouth (it wasn't a big one), and chewed it, sending lemon juice running down my chin. I thought she was going to kick the bucket right then and there.

Yes I realize that when I die, I will go to hell, where I will fry in hot oil while demons crowd around scraping great, rusty forks across their teeth....

Edited by sazji (log)

"Los Angeles is the only city in the world where there are two separate lines at holy communion. One line is for the regular body of Christ. One line is for the fat-free body of Christ. Our Lady of Malibu Beach serves a great free-range body of Christ over angel-hair pasta."

-Lea de Laria

This has been a fun thread. I'm really happy to say that there's nothing, food-wise, that grosses me out or about which I have a phobia.... except <i>chocolate</i>. Ugh, nasty, blecch. I do not understand the attraction. Granted, I'm not real big on sweets in general, but most everything else I can at least appreciate in small quantities... just not that disgusting brown stuff.

<i>chocolate</i>.  Ugh, nasty, blecch. 

Oh, Sunny Dear. Do sit down---that Southern sun has weakened your brain. If you are indeed serious, and actually "at yourself," then I do fear that your grave, treasonous statement will be grounds for stripping of your GRITS rank, removal of any and all sweater sets from your wardrobe, and conscription of your white gloves, pearls and charm bracelet, as well as all memberships in the DOC, DAR, and/or Junior League.

Not like CHOCOLATE???!!! :shock: That's like carving all the Wisterias into topiary. I've gotta go get me a tall glass of iced tea and fan awhile.