• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Arachibutyrophobia:Fear of Peanut Butter Sticking

Monkfish.

Nothing and no one could ever convince me to take even a bite of monkfish.

This stems from my prep cook days when I had to clean about 50 pounds of monkfish tails for a special. If you've ever dealt with raw monkfish, you know what an unsavory task this is...and if you never have and therefore still enjoy monkfish, I won't ruin it for you.

I had nightmares for days afterwards.

"It is impossible not to love someone who makes toast for you."

-Nigel Slater

I have an aversion to eating from a spoon. It's OK if that is the only practical way to eat the food, such as soup, ice cream, pudding, although I prefer to drink smooth soups from a mug or cup. Everything else seems to taste better eaten with a fork. Why? Dunno, but it would really turn me off to have to eat mashed potatoes or vegetables or cake or whatever from a spoon.

I also share the wood stick and peach skin aversions.

Ruth Dondanville aka "ruthcooks"

“Are you making a statement, or are you making dinner?” Mario Batali

Interestingly, I am even more keenly aware of things which might bother me now but which I had failed to consider previously ... :hmmm: ..

Maybe now I will avoid anything made with monkfish and peachskins or tomato innards and which is served on a spoon or stick ... :unsure:

Truly! fear grips my heart! Maybe I should have thought this through more carefully ... :laugh:

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

Shaya I share your revulsion at seeds but not tomato seeds: raspberry seeds. Can someone, anyone here please tell me how you get through a dessert or any other dish including raspberries and avoid those horrible seeds lodging themselves in your teeth? I've tried crushing them against my tongue and just swallowing without chewing but at least one always gets stuck in one of my teeth and drives me insane until I can dislodge it. Reminds me of the horrid crunch of a bit of stray egg shell (another food phobia). Love the flavor of raspberries though.

It would be a gift from God mizducky if plastic was substituted in ALL wooden stick bearing foods. Plastic would be quite acceptable and safe. :rolleyes:

And freshherbs your aversion to the hard edges on toasted bread comes close to my similar phobia against round cereal like Cocoa Puffs, Corn Pops (corn flavored rocks), etc. Same nerve shattering roof-of-the-mouth sensation. Actually when I eat cereal it has to soak for a while because of that very aversion to cereal that's uh too crunchy. :huh:

Inside me there is a thin woman screaming to get out, but I can usually keep the Bitch quiet: with CHOCOLATE!!!

Oh, I love this thread. When I was a kid I could not stand having different foods touch each other on the plate and couldn't go near a mushroom or an onion. Love mushrooms and onions now, and I intentionally mix food on my plate or on my fork at every meal.

I have serious texture issues with certain foods: sushi rolls (the combo of the rice and seaweed is revolting to me yet I love raw fish), beets, runny eggs, hard boiled eggs.

Can't stand the smell of tea or ginger ale but I'm pretty sure that's because I associate them with being sick. The mere thought of biting into ice cream makes me shudder. Can't do it or think about doing it.

I have also been aon a a Stiengartian quest to purge all food dislikes. 

Realized early in my waitressing days, hanging out in the kitchen, that I couldn't tolerate cilantro. Like couldn't even be in the same room as it. On a recent trip to Mexico I decided to adopt Jeffrey Steingarten's extinguishing-food-aversion philosophy and was determined to just eat as much cilantro as I could (it was fairly unavoidable anyway, it being Mexico and all). Piled it onto tacos al pastor. Intentionally ordered red snapper slathered in cilantro and lime. Delicious. So I'm over it. Have embraced cilantro, even had it in my kitchen the other day.

Am currently working on olives.

Shaya I share your revulsion at seeds but not tomato seeds: raspberry seeds.  Can someone, anyone here please tell me how you get through a dessert or any other dish including raspberries and avoid those horrible seeds lodging themselves in your teeth?  I've tried crushing them against my tongue and just swallowing without chewing but at least one always gets stuck in one of my teeth and drives me insane until I can dislodge it.  Reminds me of the horrid crunch of a bit of stray egg shell (another food phobia).  Love the flavor of raspberries though.

Me too. I only use strained puree. If I use whole raspberries at all, its only for a garnish.

"If you hear a voice within you say 'you cannot paint,' then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced" - Vincent Van Gogh

Actually, my favorite jam is the kind you despise. I could never figure out why anyone would want to buy raspberry jam without seeds...or real sugar.

"Viciousness in the kitchen.

The potatoes hiss." --Sylvia Plath

Bugs as food (exceptions to lobster & family and crabs).

Cant do mini-manti in my christmas cookies. no way, no how.

"You dont know everything in the world! You just know how to read!" -an ah-hah! moment for 6-yr old Miss O.

Realized early in my waitressing days, hanging out in the kitchen, that I couldn't tolerate cilantro.  Like couldn't even be in the same room as it.  On a recent trip to Mexico I decided to adopt Jeffrey Steingarten's extinguishing-food-aversion philosophy and was determined to just eat as much cilantro as I could (it was fairly unavoidable anyway, it being Mexico and all).  Piled it onto tacos al pastor.  Intentionally ordered red snapper slathered in cilantro and lime.  Delicious.  So I'm over it.  Have embraced cilantro, even had it in my kitchen the other day.

Am currently working on olives.

I envy you getting over cilantro. While it's not exactly a phobia for me, I can't tolerate it at all. When I travelled through Southeast Asia years ago my friend kept saying, "...oh, there's something in this dish I just love!" and I kept saying, "...oh there's something in this dish I just can't stand!" Finally figured out it was the insipid green herb.

One night we were staying in a very remote town in Vietnam and our kind hostess offered to prepare dinner for us. I asked for noodles, my favorite, and my wish was granted - two large heaping bowls were placed in front of us. And intertwined throughout the entire dish was...you guessed it...cilantro. It was the longest meal of my life. I couldn't eat it at all. My friend ate as much of her plate as she could, then we put half the food from my plate onto hers to make it look as if I had eaten. A sad waste of food. :sad:

Reminds me of the horrid crunch of a bit of stray egg shell (another food phobia).

I hate that jarring sensation too! It's even worse with claypot steamed chicken with rice - there are always bone shards in the rice! Don't get me wrong - I love the taste of the rice, mixed with the chicken fat & sweetened soy sauce, and tender chicken, but I wish they would debone the chicken first... :sad:

My youngest son won't eat peaches, plums, nectarines, or apricots, because they look "like butts." :laugh:

My food fears/phobias/aversions are pretty simple: I really don't like to eat tongue, because of all that papillae tasting back at me.

-Fabby,

who has a vivid imagination

"Oh, tuna. Tuna, tuna, tuna." -Andy Bernard, The Office

Oh I have just thought of another issue that I have in the kitchen. I cannot tolerate unwashed potatoes, the ones in the shop that have not had the soil brushed from their skin. The thought of picking up a dirty potatoe stops me breathing until I can get it under some water. It’s the dryness and the smell of the dirt that gets to me; needless to say I never buy unwashed potatoes. :blush:

Smell and taste are in fact but a single composite sense, whose laboratory is the mouth and its chimney the nose. - Anthelme Brillat-Savarin

My food fears/phobias/aversions are pretty simple:  I really don't like to eat tongue, because of all that papillae tasting back at me. 

Everyone who makes a tongue dish usually peels it ... which takes care of those pesky papillae ... :wink:

Well, I read thru this whole thread to see if anyone else had this one: a very dear friend has an aversion to ....flour. She cannot touch it or even think of it. She also has an extreme aversion to cotton wool. Its that bad that I can't even tease her about it. :unsure:

I know we are getting off the suject of food but I also have a friend who cannot touch cotton wool balls.......can't even talk about it without him getting all quivery. Phobias are weird. :smile:

Smell and taste are in fact but a single composite sense, whose laboratory is the mouth and its chimney the nose. - Anthelme Brillat-Savarin

Reminds me of the horrid crunch of a bit of stray egg shell (another food phobia).

I hate that jarring sensation too! It's even worse with claypot steamed chicken with rice - there are always bone shards in the rice! Don't get me wrong - I love the taste of the rice, mixed with the chicken fat & sweetened soy sauce, and tender chicken, but I wish they would debone the chicken first... :sad:

Those bone shards that you hate chocomoo brought to mind that I have the same reaction to crunching down on a piece of hard pasta or rice. I know that in some cultures--I believe Persian is one of them--the crunchy rice at the bottom of a pot of rice is very prized; but it only racks my nerves.

Also, as for my stray egg shell phobia, does anyone else get creeped out when they see someone on a cooking show crack an egg on the side of a mixing bowl or if the camera does a close up and there's a piece of eggshell floating in the bowl? I actually cringe when I see that even though it's food that I'll obviously never ever taste. :blink: Same goes for when I see one of them juice a lemon over a bowl and proceed to drop in and leave the seeds. Ugh. I hate accidentally biting into one of those as well. Wow, I guess I have a lot these "peculiarities." :hmmm: On the upside, however, I have managed to deal with crunching down on a piece of whole spice such as a cardamom pod in certain Indian dishes without totally freaking out, so I'm at least making some progress. :rolleyes:

Edited by divalasvegas (log)

Inside me there is a thin woman screaming to get out, but I can usually keep the Bitch quiet: with CHOCOLATE!!!

My food fears/phobias/aversions are pretty simple:  I really don't like to eat tongue, because of all that papillae tasting back at me. 

Everyone who makes a tongue dish usually peels it ... which takes care of those pesky papillae ... :wink:

Tell that to my wild imagination! :shock:

"Oh, tuna. Tuna, tuna, tuna." -Andy Bernard, The Office

[Those bone shards that you hate chocomoo brought to mind that I have the same reaction to crunching down on a piece of hard pasta or rice.  I know that in some cultures--I believe Persian is one of them--the crunchy rice at the bottom of a pot of rice is very prized; but it only racks my nerves.

Strangely, I love crunchy things! Like the browned crunchy rice at the bottom of the pot that you mention (Chinese love it too). I just hate the contrast of biting into soft things, chewing away happily and CRUNCH!

Also, as for my stray egg shell phobia, does anyone else get creeped out when they see someone on a cooking show crack an egg on the side of a mixing bowl or if the camera does a close up and there's a piece of eggshell floating in the bowl?  I actually cringe when I see that even though it's food that I'll obviously never ever taste. :blink:  Same goes for when I see one of them juice a lemon over a bowl and proceed to drop in and leave the seeds.

I cringe too - I always want to reach out and pick it out for them!

I also don't like looking at tongue - one of my phobias is looking at & touching bumpy things. *shudder* But I'll eat tongue after the stuff is peeled off. I even like it!

I have an aversion to:

Canned tuna

canned salmon

hard-boiled eggs

sweet pickles

beets

I can't stand the texture of:

tapioca pudding (like eating creamy eyeballs)

marshmallows

Ok, soooo, I'll never eat tapioca pudding again! Seriously, I am so easily grossed out that if anybody says the littlest thing about a food it's all over. I'll either never eat it again or not for a long, long time. Creamy eyeballs people? Put that on the menu. I need to throw up now.

Melissa

For me, it's fish skin and bones.

I will not eat regular sardines or canned salmon. I love trout, but will eat it only at home where I can flake the fish with my fingertips to make sure there aren't any bones left. I'm horrified by salmon skin rolls at sushi bars.

A fishbone once got stuck in my throat as a child. <<<Shiver>>> Never again.

SuzySushi

"She sells shiso by the seashore."

My eGullet Foodblog: A Tropical Christmas in the Suburbs

Cloves and whole Cardamom pods in Indian food. Hubby cooks amazing Indian meals, but puts whole cloves and cardamom pods/seeds in them. I absolutely hate when I bite into one! I like the taste, but wish I didn't have to have a mouthful of them.

Philly Francophiles

i'm another canned tuna hater. the smell just reminds me of canned cat food...not my idea of tasty stuff. tuna salad, even "gourmet" white albacore, i just can't take it. the smell of cheetos also makes my throat seize up. i also don't like cooked salmon for the most part; raw is ok, but cooked...especially olive oil poached...urgh. don't like cherry, especially the artificial cherry flavor that everything popular is flavored with, and i can't take soda, although i will drink red bull until the cows come home.

Cloves and whole Cardamom pods in Indian food. Hubby cooks amazing Indian meals, but puts whole cloves and cardamom pods/seeds in them. I absolutely hate when I bite into one! I like the taste, but wish I didn't have to have a mouthful of them.

eh? You're not supposed to eat them, set them aside, or

get hubby to pick them out before dishing up.....

I suppose I'm finally seeing the point of the warnings

in many cookbooks about not eating the whole spices......

Milagai

Edited by Milagai (log)

• 3 weeks later...

Just a very few more on food phobias:

Orangefingerphobia: The fear of eating Chee-tos.

Starbuckomania: An obsession with fancy coffees. For related conditions, see "Chocoholism" and "Cola Nut."

Cluckamania: The delusion that everything "tastes like chicken."

Schizorestaurantbillia: The powerful need to demand separate checks, even when dining alone.

source of the humor here ... :laugh: