• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Noshing in Nashville

treve

The boundry has suffered some tough times but has new direction in the kitchen with ted prater and querry mccomas(my old sous) and from what I hear over the past few monthes they are bringing it back to its glory days.

I went to Bound'ry a few months ago when I was in Nashville and was pleased with the food. Didn't see any hookers, either.

Hi there,

My name is Ryan, and my partners and I recently opened a Victorian style restaurant and bar named Past Perfect in downtown Nashville.  We would love if you would stop by while you are in town.  Our wine list is not huge, but we have received great feedback from some of the oenophiles in Nashville.  I would also like to invite those of you in the industry to stop by (this means you, whifflechef!).  We offer 20% off all food and spirits every day to those in the industry, and 50% off cocktails on Monday.  You can find directions and the menu at pastperfectnashville.com .

Warm regards,

Ryan Mecum

hi ryan - and welcome to egullet!! :biggrin:

many thanks for the invite - - i'd love to stop by. i'll pm you when my schedule is finalized.

same with you whifflechef - - great website, by the by.

i really appreciate everyone's recommendations thus far. i'm a little bummed about union station hotel restaurant, but am thinking capitol grille (though sean brock is no longer there in may??) or wild boar (though it may be closed?) for fine dining eve. the other three nights are quickly falling into place - (watermark/radius10/bound'ry are in the running - and now tayst/pastperfect). and it looks like i might need to rent a car..

i saw there's a wine festival on saturday, may 20th - taste of tn?? i had no idea there were wineries in the state - how exciting!! we have a thriving wine industry here in bc - mainly centered in the okanagan valley, but also growing rapidly here on vancouver island. what sort of grape varietals do you grow there? is the wine festival worth a car rental day for? (it's at the race track).

thanks all!

t

i saw there's a wine festival on saturday, may 20th - taste of tn??  i had no idea there were wineries in the state - how exciting!!  we have a thriving wine industry here in bc - mainly centered in the okanagan valley, but also growing rapidly here on vancouver island.  what sort of grape varietals do you grow there?  is the wine festival worth a car rental day for?  (it's at the race track).

Yes, Tennessee has a number of wineries. I've been to several along the river near Knoxville, in Loudon County. This was several years ago, and I recall being happiest with some of the berry-based dessert wines, but there was at least one red that I was happy to drink. I can't recall which vineyard, as it been years.

It will be interesting to see what's happens with wines in the southeast. It's been assumed for years that any wine that came out of this region would be ick, but in fact there are some cool ones coming out of the mountains in Georgia and North Carolina.

Given your background I'd check it out.

Can you pee in the ocean?

• 4 months later...

Thanks for these Nashville recommendations. I was in Nashville for a business meeting--staying at Opryland--for the last two nights. I managed to find my way downtown last night away from the artificial environment provided by Opryland.

Jack's Bar-B-Que at 416 Broadway absolutely hit the spot. I feasted on the pork shoulder platter with cornbread and sides of mac 'n' cheese and cole slaw. Jack's is very laid back. You go up to the counter, order what you want, get your sauces, and find a seat. I'm certainly no barbeque expert, but it was delicious food, a very generous portion of pork, and stellar cole slaw--more of a vinegar base than a traditional milk base. This is food I can't get in Wisconsin.

Liam

Eat it, eat it

If it's gettin' cold, reheat it

Have a big dinner, have a light snack

If you don't like it, you can't send it back

Just eat it -- Weird Al Yankovic

• 1 month later...

Just popping in to try for a bit of an update. I'll be in Nashville 11/8-11 for work stuff. Not sure about the hotel as of yet, but wanted to see if anything else had changed regarding the recs listed previously here. I'll only be able to do dinners, as I think "lunch" is provided by this conference. shudder.

Screw it. It's a Butterball.

• 1 month later...

Hi,

I recently posted this in the Southeast forum hoping to get some feedback from Nashville residents. I found this thread and thought posting it here would give me a better chance of reaching you all. Appreciate the help.

TIA,

Rich

------

am curious about Nashville as a place to relocate to. I'm doing my "relocation research" elsewhere, but there's nowhere better than eG to get the scoop on the food scene.

I live in South Florida now which certainly isn't a gastronomic mecca but I am able to find plenty of ethnic variety, which is much more important to me than upscale dining. So if any kind Nashville folks are willing to share some information I'd be grateful. I plan to visit in early '07. I'm curious to know what, if any of the cuisines and food items on the list below are available in Nashville or the surrounding area:

Authentic Chinese

Vietnamese

Korean

Middle Eastern/Israeli (especially felafel and shawarma)

Jewish Deli

Indian

Greek

Ethnic markets (Asian, Indian, Jewish/Kosher, Middle-Eastern, Italian)

Dim sum

TIA,

Rich

South Florida

Authentic Chinese

Vietnamese

there are a bunch of vietnamese places over on charlotte ave, right past the intersection with white bridge road (heading away from downtown, towards memphis).

Korean

- arirang (on west end around midtown and vandy)... i believe it's still open

Middle Eastern/Israeli (especially felafel and shawarma)

- this will carry over with the greek stuff in this city, or at least so it seems. no israeli places come to mind. places like tabouli, med cuisine and kalamatas all offer falafel.

Jewish Deli

- noshville (vandy/midtown and green hills), and goldie's deli (sylvan park)

Indian

- sitar (vandy), cuisine of india (vandy), shalimar (green hills).

Greek

- tabouli (belmont), mediterranean cuisine (vandy), kalamatas (green hills) all come to mind. there are also a few i drive by all the time but can't think of the name. the ones that don't come to mind are hole in the wall places.

Ethnic markets (Asian, Indian, Jewish/Kosher, Middle-Eastern, Italian)

-asian: there's some place on charlotte. can't think of the name. i'm sure there are others.

-indian: ?

-jewish: ?

-middle-eastern: ?

-italian: corriere's formaggeria, the italian market

Dim sum

- no place comes to mind.

you didn't ask, but there are a ton of mexican restaurants. also, royal thai is probably one of the more well-known/popular thai restaurants in nashville. they have 4 or 5 around town.

• 5 months later...

Hi Treve,

I hope this gets to you before you make the trip! Frist off, Tayste IS wonderful, do not miss it! Me and the BF have been twice. Also Monell's for a bit of dining "Southerstyle"--food is served at a big table that seats either 8 or 10--great fried chicken and fruit tea.

If I can toot my own horn here for a minute I work as a manager at Provence Breads & Cafe in Hillsboro Village (1705 21st Ave) and we are part of the Nashvilleoriginals-check it out at Nashville Originals.com). Just this Tuesday got a shipment of French Cheeses air freighted to me ( I do all the buying). I have some wonderful Crottin Champignou, Brebicet, ect and I am expecting more in today as some were on backorder. We also have a number of other cheeses, my favorites at the moment being the King's Island Raring 40's Blue (it is something like blue cheese butter!) and a P'tit Basque. Also Red Leister on a burger is something not to be missed! And sample is our middle name--come in a try a bit!

The cheese case aside, we bake all of our own bread and pastries---the pastries are to DIE for, made with real french butter, all the good stuff. I also have a tapenade in from Provence that is exceptional.

Enjoy your visit and if you do make it in to Provence, please say hi. My name is LeShane and I am usually there 6-2 or so. Email me and let me know if you are coming in! Happy trails! :cool:

My brother just moved to Nashville and is the consulting chef at Park Cafe. Heard nothing but wonderful things about the food and staff there.

WHat's your brothers name? I know all the cats over at park and I haven't heard of a new chef in the mix. I know willy thomas opened his second, eastland cafe. They do a nice job, has the same feel as park.

His Name is Stephen. He just started this past Tuesday. Will eventually be floating between the 2 restaurants and then will be opening his own place there once he finds the space.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

bumping this thread up because I will be in nashville on 6/22 and am looking for a good place for lunch as well as a decent store (how's the farmer's market?) as I'll be driving to middle TN where there is NO decent food to be found for the rest of the weekend. I'll have access to a fridge and microwave. Every time I make this trip I never have time to see Nashville and this time I do, but I'd love to spend the time foraging for some grub (preferably sustainable/locally grown and even more preferably some places that serve food from the same origin) instead of doing touristy things. I'll have about 6 hours there, I may want to eat when I first get there (a late breakfast/mid-morning) and then again before I leave around 4 or 5 with a visit to a store or some other places in between.

I've added some of the suggestions in this thread to my "Nashville" document I'm making, if anyone has other suggestions or places eG people would be welcomed even for just a cold drink, let me know. Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Try Margot Cafe

Hi all,

bumping this thread up because I will be in nashville on 6/22 and am looking for a good place for lunch as well as a decent store (how's the farmer's market?) as I'll be driving to middle TN where there is NO decent food to be found for the rest of the weekend.  I'll have access to a fridge and microwave.  Every time I make this trip I never have time to see Nashville and this time I do, but I'd love to spend the time foraging for some grub (preferably sustainable/locally grown and even more preferably some places that serve food from the same origin) instead of doing touristy things.  I'll have about 6 hours there, I may want to eat when I first get there (a late breakfast/mid-morning) and then again before I leave around 4 or 5 with a visit to a store or some other places in between.

I've added some of the suggestions in this thread to my "Nashville" document I'm making, if anyone has other suggestions or places eG people would be welcomed even for just a cold drink, let me know.  Thanks!