• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Who has a 60" range

FabulousFoodBabe

I have a huge decision to make, and have given myself 24 hours to do it.

Once again, too many choices. If Wolf hadn't come up with a 60", dual-fuel range, I'd not have even considered this. My plans have been clicking along for 6 months with a 48". And then, I saw it. (The only other 60s I've seen are all-gas and I don't want that.) I will be teaching in the kitchen, working on my testing/developing projects, and entertaining a lot. We also have a pretty wild life with teenagers (and their friends), a couple of dogs, etc. etc. So, I have to make this final decision and move on.

The plus: Two full-sized ovens (sweet, sweet, sweet). Enough of a top to actually teach hands-on without bumping a**. The ability to have stocks on as I'm doing other things, when time gets tight.

The minus: Cost, of course; besides extra cost of the range, the ventilation and the loss of some counter space. But I'll have an 8' island and quite a bit of room to the right of said range ...

The rest of it: I will have a speed oven in my pass. The 48" ranges have a smaller oven as well. So, it could be great or not.

My question: Does anyone have a 60" and how do you, do you, use it? (The only people I know with big'uns like that, don't use the space.)

Of course, the architect just wants me to be happy, and my husband just wants me to decide and move on!

Thanks in advance,

F.

"Oh, tuna. Tuna, tuna, tuna." -Andy Bernard, The Office

I believe you are wise to get the larger range. It is particularly desirable if there will be more than one cook working at the range. I think the 60" will work much better for you than a 48" because accidents can happen when two people do not have enough space while working around burners, accidents can happen.

Many years ago when I did have a big family at home, I had a huge Garland range that was 72" overall with 8 burners and a 24 inch griddle over a salamander at one end. There were two full-size ovens that were separated by several inches and that made it much easier for two people to be loading or removing items from the ovens without getting in each other's way.

Few people have the need for that much range but I was doing some catering and some contract baking also and I needed ovens that could take a full-size sheet pan. At that time there were no separate built-in ovens that were that large and I couldn't find a resenditial range that had burners that were powerful enough or large enough to hold my large stockpots.

When I sold the house, the range stayed and was a big selling point and added a significant amount to the selling price.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

I have a 60 and use the daylights out of it. I really don't know if I could ever do without 2 full sized ovens again -- and I do have a standard wall oven (electric convection) in addition.

As I said in another thread, I made one big mistake with the range. I have 6 burners and a 24 inch griddle. I almost never use the griddle. Where, oh where is the salamander I really need?

I'm doing it. It's a done deal. And it didn't make too much difference in the layout -- we got rid of a small pullout cabinet. Architects have already saved me a ton of money on fixtures and countertops, so that will be offset.

Now I have to decide how to configure the top. I've always just used a huge all-clad burner top griddle, because I never had the space before.

I'm getting pretty cranked for this thing to finally happen! And I thank you all for your helpful guidance.

Oh Fabby, that sounds amazing. We've long thought to go with a 28-24" griddle inset with the 60" range. We especially like teppan cooking so that is what the griddle is for. Please take pictures to show off the final kitchen!

(green for envy :biggrin: )

Oh Fabby, that sounds amazing.  We've long thought to go with a 28-24" griddle inset with the 60" range.  We especially like teppan cooking so that is what the griddle is for. Please take pictures to show off the final kitchen!

(green for envy  :biggrin: )

Do you have a 60"? what kind? (don't tell me, I just signed a "proceed" contract!)

Never mind, do tell. I'll probably do four burners, grill and french top. Wish I had a salamander ... and I won't give up my charcoal Weber. Reminds me of being newlywed and broke.

I'm pretty cranked about this project. At long last. I really wanted a little cleanup room with floor sinks for dog-washing, but that's not gonna happen. Sigh.

How 'bout a nice backyard shower for the dogs? You can build it when you remodel the backyard for outdoor cooking. I worked at a house once that had an entire kitchen on the patio with radiant heated stone floors, dishwasher drawers, and 2 small refrigerators.

How 'bout a nice backyard shower for the dogs?  You can build it when you remodel the backyard for outdoor cooking.  I worked at a house once that had an entire kitchen on the patio with radiant heated stone floors, dishwasher drawers, and 2 small refrigerators.

That's my dream -- an outdoor kitchen. In this nice Metro New York weather, though, it aint' gonna happen. The shower is a very good idea. Puppy is still being bathed in a tub, big dog needs to stand (it takes forever for her to get up and down).

Oh, I miss California.

Alas, it is still a dream.  This is what I've been looking at though...Wolf 60" Gas Range with Double Griddle...woof!

ETA: I just looked back up thread and see we both like the Wolf.  You'll have to tell me how it cooks!

I'm getting a dual-fuel. We have a propane tank (no gas line to this part of our town), and I don't like gas ovens, anyway. It's personal.

I've said before that there will be a major party when the kitchen opens for business! You're all invited ... :biggrin:

Alas, it is still a dream.  This is what I've been looking at though...Wolf 60" Gas Range with Double Griddle...woof!

ETA: I just looked back up thread and see we both like the Wolf.  You'll have to tell me how it cooks!

I'm getting a dual-fuel. We have a propane tank (no gas line to this part of our town), and I don't like gas ovens, anyway. It's personal.

I've said before that there will be a major party when the kitchen opens for business! You're all invited ... :biggrin:

If we could only decide what kind of countertops to get, our kitchen would be finished. Oh, my stove is only 48" but gee, had to have a little room for those troublesome counters--perhaps more appliances is really the answer? :raz:

"I'm not looking at the panties, I'm looking at the vegetables!" --RJZ

If we could only decide what kind of countertops to get, our kitchen would be finished.  Oh, my stove is only 48" but gee, had to have a little room for those troublesome counters--perhaps more appliances is really the answer?  :raz:

You remind me a little of that guy on "HOme Improvement." More appliances! Rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

What are on your countertops now, Angela? (I remember looking for the perfect piece of granite in my other kitchen, and living with plywood tops for weeks. It looked weird but it wasn't difficult!)

• 11 months later...

I, too, am trying to make this choice (although I've got a little longer than 24 hours to decide). We pilgramaged to the Wolf/SubZero distributor this weekend, fully expecting to simply price the 48" rangetop/double wall oven vs. 48" range/single wall oven combos and ended up completely enamored of the 60" range. For one thing, there's the full sized double ovens which will free up wall space for more pantry cabinets (I was hyperventilating a bit, worrying about how to store my 11 different varieties of salt, countless vinegars, not to mention Costco-sized Fruit Loops for my son). Then there's the double griddle. And, petty as it sounds, I think the range ovens just look better than the Wolf wall ovens (yes, we *could* go with different wall ovens, but I like the Wolf).

So I'm ressurecting this topic and wondering if FFB would care to weigh in now that her range has been in place for a while--or anyone else for that matter.

I don't teach cooking classes, so the "space for multiple cooks" isn't as much of an issue, but I do have the space for the 60" range--if I can justify it. :rolleyes: The price for the 60" is more than either of the combos we are/were considering, but not so much that it rules it out for us.

Thanks!

Feast then thy heart, for what the heart has had, the hand of no heir shall ever hold.