• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Finger Foods for 30

SushiCat

* Note: Cream cheese used in tea sandwiches should have a minimum fat content of 16%.

is this just for taste and texture, or is there another reason? (curious as i've never heard about this rule before)

My experience is in texture and ability to sit out without getting runny at room temp. Daniel may have different experience/knowledge.

All, I'm wondering how to 'glue' the puff pastry without egg.  Is water the best idea or a little butter?

Does she have a problem with eggs as an ingredient (such as in egg wash) or is it just eating eggs as eggs? My husband will not eat eggs, but he has no problem with them when they're used as binders (like in meatballs) or as a glaze. I would guess that she probably won't know the difference if you used egg wash, but it is still a no no, I suggest using a little cream.

All, I'm wondering how to 'glue' the puff pastry without egg.  Is water the best idea or a little butter?

Does she have a problem with eggs as an ingredient (such as in egg wash) or is it just eating eggs as eggs? My husband will not eat eggs, but he has no problem with them when they're used as binders (like in meatballs) or as a glaze. I would guess that she probably won't know the difference if you used egg wash, but it is still a no no, I suggest using a little cream.

It is an alergy or food sensitivity ... I just realized that besides fruit I'm not any dessert is on a list of things she can enjoy ... I was going to make some 3 nut biscotti, but I need egg whites at least for that. Not sure what to do, but will use cream for closing/brushing the puff pastry.

This is a very thoughtful and kind idea :).

Shortbread cookies do not have eggs in them. Pate sucree does not have eggs in it either in most versions. Both of these are excellent bases for dessert items, and a plain shortbread cookie is IMO the perfect thing to serve with tea if you're not having tea sandwiches. If you want to cut down on your work, simply make some fruit fillings for the phyllo triangles or pastry pinwheels. You could also make some sweet tea sandwiches by using thin sliced fruit breads, cream cheese and preserves.

I think most sorts of pastry cream involve eggs. If you poke around tho, you might find some cheesecake or cheese danish style fillings that *don't* and that would add some nice variety to your desserts.

The other thing you could try is use some sweet/savory ideas. Say, melon and ham. There are a lot of classic combinations in this vein, and they tend to feel a bit more dessertish to an American.

Kalli

Don't forget that mayonnaise has eggs in it.

Catherine, does mayonnaise have eggs in it? :laugh:

I have done the curried chicken salad in phyllo cups and people love them. They also seem to really love chcolate covered potato chips. I had a party guest at our Christmas party stand by the bowl and munch the entire night. LOL.

Edited by LoveToEatATL (log)

Patti Davis

www.anatomyofadinnerparty.com

...I have done the curried chicken salad in phyllo cups and people love them.  They also seem to really love chcolate covered potato chips. I had a party guest at our Christmas party stand by the bowl and munch the entire night. LOL.

The only thing I think might not go with chocolate is fish! And, even then, if done right, some sweet shrimp, fried and dipped... :raz:

More Than Salt

Visit Our Cape Coop Blog

Cure Cutaneous Lymphoma

Join the DarkSide---------------------------> DarkSide Member #006-03-09-06

Hey, did I mention that mayonnaise has eggs in it?

Sorry, people. My computer was not getting along with egullet this morning. I'll try to edit out a couple of those duplicates.

LOL, Catherine, you are a delight! :biggrin:

Patti Davis

www.anatomyofadinnerparty.com

• 2 weeks later...

Many successes and a few failures - 95% egg free and 100% sea creature free!

To all who suggested, many thanks, I used ideas and merged into my own. We had a Spanish feel and theme, although not everyone noticed ... maybe the gold balloons fooled them.

Food was definately a highlight for many - here is what I did:

Roasted orange pepper hummus with assorted veggies for crudite

skewers of fruit with mango, yellow watermelon, honeydew, pineapple and black and red grapes

savory scones with smoked ham and some sharp sheep cheese served with a tomato chutney (homemade of course)

phyllo triangles with minted spinach and feta

phyllo triangles with mushroom / cream cheese filling - these were the best item!

puff pastry roll ups with ricotta, sun dried tomatoe and olives

puff pastry roll ups with cheese/ham and roasted peppers

little home-made sausages (for the meat lovers)

savory cheese 'cake' (purchased from local caterer)

chicken salad in endive cups and on baguette rounds

tea sandwiches

for sweets,

lemon shortbread (no eggs!)

pistachio and dried fruit biscotti

chocolate dipped strawberries - yum and fun!

mini choc. chip cookies

ginger loaf cake

and (because of a special 7 year old) a chocolate ganache cake.

Strangely not much wine was drunk, a lot of people had to drive, but fizzy water with a little fruit juice was a big hit. My cucumber water was a bust - oh well.

I believe a good time was had by all - renewed experience in how much to make - e.g. how much not to make! Sent a lot of leftovers home with bride to be, and with mother of bride and with my 'hired' help ... plus we are eating mini heart shaped savory scones for lunch ...