• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Buddy's Farm-GIM Veggie Purveyor-Gone Under!

Well it's official Buddy's Farm is gone from Granville Island Market.

IIRC it's closer to 20 than 15 years Buddy's has been there it was @ one time a bustling success and the people who ran it a delight to deal with.

I suppose heavy competition (think of all those Greengrocers up on W. Broadway ) plus the always awkward location made them finally pull the plug.

Anyone have inside info on what's going in?

Just more public seating?

The success of a place like Oyama shows there's always room for a smart inspired well funded operator down there.

IMO it sure looks like Stuart's Bakery will be next.

Anyone remember the lineups of yore for all those tasty loaves?

It's been many a year before anyone lined up there for anything and from what I can see few items are baked on site at all.

The cases are full of 'standard issue' pastries-which while attractively displayed can hardly be paying the rent on that huge space.

Which one is Buddy's Farm? Hopefully not the one across from Lee's Donuts. They're my favourite G.I. greengrocer.

As for Stuart's I've unfortunately seen lineups fairly recently (sad to admit).

It is a pretty weak assortment of baked goods (breads especially) but I doubt they're going anywhere unless pushed by the market.

I noticed that Lonsdale has given the heave ho to a couple of vendors, with new spaces under renovation, so maybe there's hope for G.I. (as long as they make sure that whoever they choose to terminate is actually replaceable, unlike the wine shop.)

I was shocked to see Buddy's gone from GI market today too ! I hope it is not just for seating, and that someone else takes up a permanent space, although I did notice more seating on the other side near the Stock Market today too - maybe the extra seating is a trend.

Re; Stuart's they do have extremely good Hamentaschen, not sure where they get them from though - if anyone knows PM me please.

Well there was an article in last week's Business in Vancouver titled "Granville Island poised for a major makeover" which suggests that the CMHC is focussed on improving the public market.

"[The public market] is responsible for a good part of our revenue, so we're very vigilant in terms of keeping it fresh and being in a position where we're able to attract people to the island and to the market,"

The article quotes developments such as the Whole Foods plans for Broadway and Granville as well as Save-on-Foods and Capers plans in same vicinity as driving Granville Island changes.

It also notes an increase in market sales since the 7:00 o'clock closing but acknowledges that the increase may be to general economic conditions, not the change in hours.

They are also doing an urban design study, transportation studies and I know that they are looking at doing major upgrades to some of the island infrastructure.

Blackberry Books also was closed for renovations today, I noticed. I think we can expect more changes and renovations, rather than less, in the next while.

Cheers,

Anne

I for one won't miss Buddy's. They had a habit of short-changing you every single time. It was never much - 5 or 10 cents at the most but I resented the fact that I had to check my change and ask for the correct change everytime. I tired of the game pretty quickly and moved onto the vegetable purveyors in the middle, near Lee's and the dairy store or the one at the east end of the market.

Slighty off-topic, we were at the market yesterday and happened upon a fellow selling homemade hummus in 3 flavours. Really tasty - fresh, clear flavours. Lime chipolte, roasted tomato and curry/currant. We will definitely be back for more. He was located across from the space Buddy's used to occupy.

Cheers,

Karole

I worked 100 years ago at the bakery part of Stuarts Bakery which was located at Cambie and 5th. They not only baked for Granville Island but they also owned the infamous Max's Bakery on Oak so we baked for them as well. I also know that the owner had several other bakeries in addition to Stuarts Bakery and Max's. I think he was very well diversified and just baked from one location and then just distributed twice a day (once for all the breads and buns and the second time for all the pastries).

pastrychefwanttobe

Just to let you know, the area formerly occupied by Buddy's will not be turned into public seating or day vendors, but will become a new produce outlet dedicated to organic produce in the very near future (I actually saw some of their fridges moving into place today)

The new vendor will be Small Potatoes

Cheers,

Eric

Just to let you know, the area formerly occupied by Buddy's will not be turned into public seating or day vendors, but will become a new produce outlet dedicated to organic produce in the very near future

Thanks for that!

Hope Springs Eternal.....

It's nice to see things are finally changing at the market.

The problem with all of the permanent greengrocers there is that they all group together to buy at the best prices and then sell exactly the same thing. The management has finally realized that "a change is gotta come" and they need some different (local!) produce there. The only time you see local is in the Summer when the smaller kiosks move in for the season. For the record the management is not exactly in touch with what's going on in the market (You NEVER see them on the floor) and perhaps with Whole Foods, Save On etc moving in the vicinity they are finally wising up. Hardly shocking considering it's government run...

So Spud is finally going retail. I understand they were doing it on small scale in easat van somewhere.

So Eric, any truth to the rumour that you are in talks with CMHC as well ? :biggrin:

The sea was angry that day my friends... like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli.

George Costanza

So Spud is finally going retail. I understand they were doing it on small scale in easat van somewhere.

I seem to recall seeing a Spud retail store at the ferry terminal in Tswassen (new building) last summer - am I mistaking?

Never mind...a quick google search found it.

Tsawwassen Quay Market

I seem to recall seeing a Spud retail store at the ferry terminal in Tswassen (new building) last summer - am I mistaking?

Never mind...a quick google search found it.

Tsawwassen Quay Market

I just read this morning that David Van Seters left the spot because the market had an exclusivity clause with Coca Cola, disallowing any non Coca Cola beverages on the premises. Pretty tragic for a market, IMHO.

The sea was angry that day my friends... like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli.

George Costanza