• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

hzrt8w's wok and burner shopping project

hzrt8w

• 4 months later...

Hi Jeff,

you can look the burner they sold at http://importfood.com/thaigasburner.html

the brand is http://www.thaithavorn.com

I've not seen that brand around but pretty much every hardware store that sells gas burners sells something similar; it's a standard 'high pressure' gas burner. When I go all-in I'm going to get a proper Chinese-style range. They come tricked out with a blower, but I'm not sure what it's real purpose is (i do expect the leaping flames they cause are for more than show).

I won't be able to afford my flamethrower in 2014 as I'm planning a trip to the States, and the baht's tanked a bit since the coup. I did buy an inexpensive, two-burner stove for interior use. It has an infrared burner and a normal gas burner. I doubt they can get as hot as the high-pressure gas burners but my perception is that they get a lot hotter than western high-end gear. When I first got it, I wanted to play, and used too much heat with my cast iron griddle pan. I decided my best/most fun option would be to burn off the patina and re-carbonize the thing. Not only did the infrared easily reduce it to bare iron, it even caused a glowing orange spot in the middle--black body radiation! THAT. IS. VERY. HOT. When I get an infrared thermometer I'll post exactly how hot, and maybe a picture of the thing, but it's not a particularly exotic stove in these parts. They're everywhere. Since I can't afford a 'real' wok burner any time soon, I'm going to start attempting to get wok hei on this thing.