• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pepsi Reduction

thebaker

I have got a request from a party client,

they want creme brulees flavored like a pepsi,

I was thinking that i would reduce a bunch of the soda and flavor the brulees with that, I only have to make a dozen so I thinking it is not worth the effort to track down some of the soda syrup..

any ideas ???

do you think it would work

thanks

I bake there for I am....

Make food ... not war

http://www.amoretti.com/docs/ingredients.p...ategory=extract

Amoretti has a cola extract and a Dr Pepper extract.

Pamela Wilkinson

www.portlandfood.org

Life is a rush into the unknown. You can duck down and hope nothing hits you, or you can stand tall, show it your teeth and say "Dish it up, Baby, and don't skimp on the jalapeños."

Hmmmmmm... I don't know about a reduction. Some of the cola's flavor compounds might be volatile. I'd also be careful, because, as the water boils away, the residual sugar will cause the boiling point to rise. So, in essence, you'd be exposing the extracts to higher temps than 212.

If I were to do it, I might pour the cola in a glass lasagna pan and bake it on a very low temp (150) until most of the water had been evaporated. A sheet pan would be ideal, but the cola would wreak havoc on the aluminum.

Btw, once you lose the fizz, it becomes very sweet/not that flavorful so I recommend boosting the flavor a bit with some lemon/lime zest.

I agree that a reduction really wouldn't work.... the carbonation would dissipate on heating and it's a flavoured sugar syrup so you'd just end up with caramel eventually. Actually, cola flavoured caramel doesn't sound half bad...especially with a lot of vanilla. I'm not sure I'd like it in a creme brulee though.

I've done rootbeer reductions that have come out great. Just put the reduction on very low heat and let it go a long time. You can always try a different method if that doesnt work.

Dean Anthony Anderson

"If all you have to eat is an egg, you had better know how to cook it properly" ~ Herve This

Pastry Chef: One If By Land Two If By Sea

hmm. to me this jsut sounds gross, like cola flavored gummy cnadies. without the fizz, it't just not the same.

recently our store stocked some corny godiva "sparkling chocolates" that inculded a opo rock-like candy in teh truffle filling.

maybe oyu could involve something similar to replicate the "Fizz " of a cola.

what about calling up your local Pepsi bottler and asking if they do sell the syrup, or find a place with fountain despensers and hitting them up for a quart or so or however much you will need. Boy, those things are going to be sweet!

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!

Just wanted to let everyone know i went with the Root beer

I got a fews liters and very slowly reduced it, I mean 5-6 hours real slow

I added some of the reduction to my brulee mixture.

the guests loved it they flipped for them..

thanks ....

I bake there for I am....

Make food ... not war