• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Near the Staples Center

d.hawksworth

We are in the area for a few nights and looking for something authentic, fun and close to the Staples Center. It could be the best bowl of Chinese noodles, great drinks or Mexican – anything really just something that shouldn’t be missed while we are in town!!!

Thanks

DH

DH,

Welcome to downtown Los Angeles!!

First, let me direct you to this discussion thread: Downtown LA dining

From Staples Center, walk up two blocks along Figueroa to the Original Pantry Cafe. It's a historic place that's open 24/7. Walk up another block on Figueroa & there's Zucca, an Italian restaurant owned by the Patina Group (Joachim Splichal). Walk up several more blocks on Figueroa to about 5th St. and there's Ciudad, a pan-Latin American restaurant owned by Mary Sue Milliken and Susan Feniger, the "Too Hot Tamales." That's just for starters along Figueroa.

The good Chinese places in downtown are at the north section. Staples is more in the southern end. Japanese restaurants are more towards the northeast section in Little Tokyo. Mexican is sort of all around, but start at the Grand Central Market around Broadway & 3rd. Of course, there are all those chain restaurants like The Palm, Arnie Morton's of Chicago, Roy's, Daily Grill, etc.

Getting around downtown LA can be easier if you buy a bus/rail Metro day pass for $3 a day. From downtown, ride the Metro Red Line to Hollywood or ride the Metro Red Line to Union Station & transfer over to the Metro Gold Line to Pasadena. Your dining opportunities has just multipied.

If you don't mind meeting another eGer, send me a private message (PM).

Enjoy!

Russell J. Wong aka "rjwong"

Food and I, we go way back ...

Just north of downtown and a short cab ride from the Staples Center is Phillipe's. It is a downtown LA original, that is known for its amazing French dip sandwiches. Often there is a line but that usually tells me something about the place.

Try a lamb dip sandwich, single-dipped or double-dipped.

Only open during the day (mostly for those who work in downtown) is my favorite restaurant, Angelique Cafe. Although I moved out of LA almost four years ago, I still make this a stop to pick up much-loved Charcuterie Basket (homemade Country Pate, Rillette, Persille, Garlic Sausage & Saucisson). I used to buy these to take to the Hollywood Bowl and their Persille is to-die-for.

The last time I drove by, I purchased two "to go" and they obligingly shrink-wrapped them for with their sous vide equipment since I was driving back to San Francisco. For just over $20, I had a decent stockpile of charcuterie that I thought was well worth more than double that amount. I miss eating there in person -- try and get a table upstairs to overlook the street.

Hey, forget the cab ride. Refer to that Metro Day Pass RJ mentioned. Phillipe's is a short walk from either Union Station (from the Metro Blue Line Pico station - adjacent to the Staples Center - ride 1 station to Metro Center and transfer to the Metro Red Line to Union Station) or the Metro Gold Line Chinatown Station (Once you get to Union Station, transfer to the Gold Line and it's one stop to the Chinatown Station). Of course, once you're at the Chinatown Station, many other eating opportunities become available. Also, the Grand Central Market is just 1/2 block up the street from the Pershing Square Red Line Station. And, as long as we're having an urban adventure, take the Red Line in the other direction from Union Station to the MacArthur Park Red Line Station and you're 1/2 block from Langer's and probably the best pastrami on rye you're every going to get. Just remember, it's only open days. Also, if there is anyplace you want to get to downtown that doesn't work on the Metro Rail system, the downtown DASH system will probably work for you. These are a series of smaller circulater shuttles that you can ride for a quarter. They'll get you to Little Tokyo and to Cafe Angelique (see Carolyn's comment) and more. One more suggestion, if you want to be hipper than hip, be sure to head for drinks in the evening at the roof top bar at the Standard Hotel.

So long and thanks for all the fish.