• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

pasta sauce

MITllama

I am bored with red pasta sauce, and don't like heavy Alfredo sauce. I have been experimenting with making sauce from cooked sweet potatoes or green peas, but both seem to lack oomph. I added crushed pineapple to the sweet potatoes and that helped, but it needs something more. I tried adding tomatillo salsa to the green peas, but that wasn't quite right either (or not to my taste). Any suggestions? I'm open to any vegetable base.

How about a caponata...sweet and sour eggplant relish...roasted or sauteed eggplant zuchini peppers onions garlic celary raisins vinager...etc

its yummy

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

See what Elie Nassar did with butternut squash in post #149 here..

Search online for a discount to purchase Marcella Hazan's Essentials...., a cookbook discussed here.. I think you'll find it an eye-opener since there are plenty of things to do with pasta and vegetables that are and are not sauces per se.

"Viciousness in the kitchen.

The potatoes hiss." --Sylvia Plath

I discovered this Sweet pepper pasta sauce several years ago and have great success with it.

I keep jars of roasted sweet red peppers (or the combination of red, yellow and green in a jar found at TJs) if it is a last-minute idea and I don't want to go out to the market.

I also often use carmelized onions from the freezer.

As posted, this is a vegetarian sauce, however I have used beef broth, chicken broth, duck stock, etc., depending on what I have on hand.

For people who have digestive problems, with high acid foods, this is an ideal substitute.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

If you would like to do something with sweet potato flavors I might ry something like this: roast butternut squash cut into medium-small dice. Season with salt and pepper. After roasting, toss with some butter in which some fresh sage leaves have briefly sauteed. Use a short pasta like fusilli or penne. Maybe add some sauteed onion and/or garlic.

Or, omit the sage butter sauce and use olive oil and garlic and add some parmesean or some dry crumblled cheese like a ricotta salata. Another options would be caramelized onions or some roasted peppers. Season with red crushed pepper. Another flavor that goes well with roasted squash is bacon or pancetta.

I like savory, salty, peppery flavors in combination with sweet potato/butternut squash. They provide a nice contrast to the inherently sweet flavors of the squash.

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

I like sweet potatoes with peanut sauce--maybe for your pasta sauce you could add coconut milk, peanut butter, chile, ginger, garlic, tamarind, and soy sauce, whizzed together, and some coriander and green onion.

I've had some great success sauteing cubed butternut squash and shallots in butter, then plating with buttered noodles and a splat of ricotta on top. Not exactly a sauce, but when you stir it all around, it acts and tastes like one.

Also had a nice restaurant pasta dish the other day with gorgonzola and apples. Could essentially be prepared same as above.

Cooking and writing and writing about cooking at the SIMMER blog

Pop culture commentary at Intrepid Media